Thanks Thanks:  73
Likes Likes:  250
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

1. Top Of Page | #111

User Info Menu

Re: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

Quote Originally Posted by petie6464 View Post
    When you checked the VGT commanded position verses the actual position where they the same?
    Welcome!

Commanded and actual should follow very close normally within 1%.

When plotted on a graph almost a single line.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #112

User Info Menu

When you checked the VGT commanded position verses the actual position where they the same?
    Before the updated actuator mine were off my as much at 60%.

With the new upgraded actuator they run within a 1% window.

Other than one fluke CEL I have been very happy with mine thus far.

The biggest noticeable changes since doing everything to my truck (besides more power and pull) has been that it is very cold blooded.

I take my son to the bus stop at the end of our very long drive every morning and it doesn't like the slow trip down the driveway.

Once we sit for five minutes he gets on the bus and the truck is happy. (The neighbors maybe not so much listening to the turbo with EB on and a 5" exhaust at 6am. :-) )

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #113
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yeah that's what I don't understand.

Mine will never see more than a commanded position of more than 75ish% and the actual is within 1% of commanded.

Under deceleration it will go up to 40ish%.

I took the controller off yesterday, ran calibration; passed installed and completed calibration; passed.

Still no EB or power, no MIL light.

Frustrating.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #114

User Info Menu

Yeah that's what I don't understand.

Mine will never see more than a commanded position of more than 75ish% and the actual is within 1% of commanded.

Under deceleration it will go up to 40ish%.

I took the controller off yesterday, ran calibration; passed installed and completed calibration; passed.

Still no EB or power, no MIL light.

Frustrating.
    Not sure what year/model truck you have.

I would check the exhaust pressure sensor and clean the tube between the sensor and exhaust manifold.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #115
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yep checked that first. Tube clear, housing clean and tried another sensor. Also checked 5volt signal to sensor.

2011 4500 2wd Chassis Cab.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #116

User Info Menu

And I assume you checked for full travel of the turbo linkage arm when you had the actuator off.

Does the ECM ever instruct the actuator to 100% desired?

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #117

User Info Menu

If you have the new actuator, there is no calibration as it recalibrates at each startup.

Second, if you get no more that 75% then you have internal problems in the turbo. Most likely there is something blocking the vanes. At cold startup you should see the vanes go to 80-90% closed to warm the truck. Stock exhaust brake goes to 94%.
    Now, when you pulled the actuator, did the lever go from Mark to mark on the turbo? There should be two marks and the lever should go from one to the other for full travel. It may be hard to move but should ease up if you cycle it a number of times, like 20.
    If all was good and the lever moved with no issue, then you may have an actuator that ate a tooth off a gear inside. The system will never know this because it uses the actuator to check the actuator travel. The only way to get around this would be to turn the gear on the actuator when it is removed, forcing the unit to use another region of the gears. It then resets the max and min positions during the calibration.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    If it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

using Tapatalk

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #118

User Info Menu

So my truck has been running well with no issues until this morning... Started the truck (15 deg this morning) my son jumps in I back out of the barn, and head down the driveway (about 1/4 mile or so) I idel down the drive and wait for his bus. The truck runs a little rough when cold but nothing it hasn't been doing most of this winter. Wait for 3-5 min the bus comes, son gest on and I start my drive to work. Get 1/2 mile up the road and the CEL and Lightning bolt (not flashing) come on. Eyes roll and I trurn around and head back home, truck seems to drive fine. I run the codes at home and get P0107 MAP too low and P108 MAP too high. Clear codes start truck same thing. Decide I'm going to drive it to work and see what happens. Switch to a dashboard that shows fuel rail pressure just because I know its cold and didn't know what else to look for. Truck seems to drive fine, then I notice that the boost pressure is reading -13.2 lbs... Ahh MAP sensor... I drive to work and notice the turbo is acting a little odd but that makes sense as the computer isn't reading boost pressure... So I get to work and think to myself wait I have the old MAP sensor in the glovebox. So in the work parking lot I changed out the sensor to the old very dirty (pre delete) sensor. Boom now my boost pressure is back in line, a quick trip up a side street and back and the turbo seems to be fine. Shut the truck off and restart, no more CEL but I still have the lighting bolt. Will this go away on its own? Codes are all clear. I do also intend on getting a new MAP sensor later today.

16. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes cwendel, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #119

User Info Menu

Clear the codes and you should be good unless it is looking for the the air valve.

using Tapatalk

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #120

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    Clear the codes and you should be good unless it is looking for the the air valve.

using Tapatalk
    I cleared the codes but the lightning bolt is still on. I need to drive it some more, I hope it goes out on its own.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast