Thanks Thanks:  73
Likes Likes:  250
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    There also seem to be alot of posts starting after having replaced the turbo with remaned units. There may be pattern.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk
    My issues started before having the turbo rebuilt. I have owned the truck since new. My first step was to get rid of some of the O2 sensor issues. At one point I had 15 stored coeds in my ECU, it was at that point I decided it was time to upgrade. I went with DRD and the difference is remarkable. The truck puts a smile on my face every day. After upgrading I was still getting the P2262 and P226C codes. That is when I decided to have my turbo rebuilt figuring it was carboned up and sticking. They said it was really dirty. 126,000 mile with no upgrades will do that. My guess is that once things start to bind up that causes excessive heat in the circuitry do to the stepper motor overloading and then the more that happens just the heat from the engine coolant keeping it "cool" is enough to overheat the unit. If I had the cash and the guts I would bypass the engine coolant and put in my own mini system to liquid cool the actuator to see if that fixes the problem. A small electric pump cycling coolant through a small radiator would be easy to make up for testing purposes. I just don't have the time or cash flow to mess with it. I have phots of my MM3 screen showing the desired position to be 37.30% and the actual being at 12.5%. That alone tells me this isn't a tune related problem. My boost at that point is .17psi. I am going to try to remember to data log the actual / desired / boost and coolant temp on the way home tonight and see if I can make any sense out of the date in a graph format. My guess is it will show everything working fine until the coolant temp gets up to 185 ish then the VGT will start sticking.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

I understand code problems. Mine started in feb with the rear nox sensor. It went bad and set a code at random times. I kept clearing it because it did the same thing after the dealer changed out my shortblock. At the same time, the batteries started to go south. So i replaced them and the sensor. I developed issued at this point but had no target to go after. I was pointed toward the turbo but got persuaded otherwise. Now, i am going back to the turbo. I had reset my actuator already and know the vanes move on mine. They were sticky at first but moved real easy after one or two back and forths. The system has always shown the actual and commanded to be the same. This is why i think the issue lies in the gears and the mounting.
    My next task will be to have the exhaust fall off the truck and retune it. I may even have an issue with the egr vanishing but i need to get the truck back to working well. It only has 39000 miles on it.

using Tapatalk

4. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

I am looking for diagnostic software. Does the alfaobd work on the cummins? I have an older autoenginuity that I used on my 02 F350. I fear I would have to purchase a new interfave as well as the chrysler package. Thanks.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy98 View Post
    I am looking for diagnostic software. Does the alfaobd work on the cummins? I have an older autoenginuity that I used on my 02 F350. I fear I would have to purchase a new interfave as well as the chrysler package. Thanks.
    Welcome friend!!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

8. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy98 View Post
    You would need to get the new version and the Chrysler license to do the tests, but it does work. I have both. The Alfaobd is more for bcm changes while the autoenginuity is for overall diagnostics.

using Tapatalk

9. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

Just a quick comment on AutoEnginuity. Great software and customer support. Be sure and run and test the software before you use it to troubleshoot. I purchased mine last July and found I could plot VGT actual but commanded would only show zero. E-mailed tech support they were fast and very helpful. They sent me two different software revisions and the last one fixed the issue version 17.1.3f

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Likes cwendel, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

I will add, it was a few years ago, but autoenginuity did allow for some other control functions with the enhanced features that a buddy mechanic with a snap-on tool could not do.

Their customer service is the best though. And remember, there tool is made to keep you from having to buy the dealer tool, so it has everything you need and then some to get in trouble.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be.

using Tapatalk

13. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Well I pulled the turbo again tonight, I’ll be dropping it off at the rebuild shop for inspection in the morning. Apparently I don’t know my own strength and the turbo stud nuts were crazy tight. I got them off but the are looking a little rounded. I want to replace them, are these something that most dealers have in stock? I hope to be putting it back together tomorrow night.

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper89 View Post
    Well I pulled the turbo again tonight, I’ll be dropping it off at the rebuild shop for inspection in the morning. Apparently I don’t know my own strength and the turbo stud nuts were crazy tight. I got them off but the are looking a little rounded. I want to replace them, are these something that most dealers have in stock? I hope to be putting it back together tomorrow night.
    Hopefully the studs are in stock, if not they should be able to get them quickly. So you are going to have the shop install a rebuilt actuator on your turbo and test it correct?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

Should I try to replace the studs? I was planning on just new nuts. Yes the plan is to have the shop inspect their work and put a rebuilt actuator on and get it all calibrated.

19. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast