Thanks Thanks:  73
Likes Likes:  250
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

Update on the actuator. The actuator from city diesel has everything for the newer trucks. Genos just got back to me and instead of just the electronics as for the 2012 and older, the one for the 2013 and newer is an entire actuator with electronics and gearbox. An updated and proved new item for less than the original.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    Update on the actuator. The actuator from city diesel has everything for the newer trucks. Genos just got back to me and instead of just the electronics as for the 2012 and older, the one for the 2013 and newer is an entire actuator with electronics and gearbox. An updated and proved new item for less than the original.

using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the update. Looks like it’s an improvement over the original and doesn’t need to be calibrated.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...3/new-products

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Man now you have me thinking I should go that route again.

I honestly think I could pull the turbo off in about an hour to hour and a half, but it sure would be a lot less messing around to go with the aftermarket actuator and about same price.

Hmmmm.

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper89 View Post
    Man now you have me thinking I should go that route again.

I honestly think I could pull the turbo off in about an hour to hour and a half, but it sure would be a lot less messing around to go with the aftermarket actuator and about same price.

Hmmmm.
    You would be looking at the electronics only for your model year.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...1/new-products

Apparently uses your actuator gear box, but still no calibration required, wipes vanes/self testing. I think I would go for it.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes watersupply189, cwendel, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Yeah I sent City Diesel (the makers of the actuator) an email with some questions. I got no response... customer service is everything so I’ll give it a day or two to see if they respond.

10. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper89 View Post
    Yeah I sent City Diesel (the makers of the actuator) an email with some questions. I got no response... customer service is everything so I’ll give it a day or two to see if they respond.
    Great idea, please keep us posted.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Try emailing Geno's garage about it. They may be able to give you more info and they have it listed for less than the builders do.
    Mine is on the way for my 2013 as we speak. I will post a new thread when i get it and install it for all to know about.

using Tapatalk

14. Thanks watersupply189, Jeeper89, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Jeeper89, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    Try emailing Geno's garage about it. They may be able to give you more info and they have it listed for less than the builders do.
    Mine is on the way for my 2013 as we speak. I will post a new thread when i get it and install it for all to know about.

using Tapatalk
    I will look for your review. I wish that the one for my truck would come with the gears also. I'm just afraid that the issue could be in the gear box, like something could be warping when it gets hot and binding. At that point I would be another $700 into this and still not fixed. Starting to wish I had just gone with a new turbo and been done with it. It's crazy I haven't been able to find any real reviews of the City Diesel actuator, one site had one review of 5 starts but no comments.

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

I agree with you. I have been hunting my own gremlins for months and have narrowed it down to the turbo. I think the actuator is my problem. But i dont think our problem is from the housing warping and binding the gears. If that happened, the actuator would never work because the motor would have burned out. I think the internal electronics are failing under the heat or the gear on the stepper motor slips when the actuator gets warm. The slipping gear would not set a code as the stepper motor is also used to determine the actuator position. If the shaft turns, it still registers correct even if the gear never turns. Truck fuels based on the data and then starts adjusting the injector rates based on the incorrect vane position. Then you get low boost, fuel knock under load, surging and the like.
    Once my actuator is changed, money is going toward a new tune and the last simple fuel part, relief valve. That i will change when other stuff falls off to insure a fresh start with the system.

using Tapatalk

18. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

There also seem to be alot of posts starting after having replaced the turbo with remaned units. There may be pattern.

using Tapatalk

20. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast