Thanks Thanks:  73
Likes Likes:  250
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    I am starting to believe the actuators fail as they get warm. My EB would stop working for awhile after using it with high idle to warm up the truck in the winter. I am starting to think this is where the issue begins.
    I also don't like the fact that if i buy a 'new' unit they want mine back as a core, seems kinda sketchy as to why they fail.
    I have sent a message to Geno's about the unit they sell for the 2013 and up as my truck is a 2013 and actuators cost twice as much as those for your truck. And yes, i have reset my actuator by pulling it. The lever was a little sticky but freed up quick with a little moving. The truck acted way better for about two starts.

Also, have you run a desoot on your truck yet? It seems that has the effect of helping to free up the VGT.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
    Following this, please keep us updated.

What software will you use to calibrate the actuator on the 2013?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I will keep you all updated.

I have the Autoenginuity software and will use that again.

I was going to try the Alfaobd software but it seems to not shut down tests from my phone.

I had run a desoot and as soon as it finished the system restarted it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

4. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I am completely deleted and the turbo was rebuilt the Monday and Tuesday of that week. I put it in on Tuesday night. It acted up on Wednesday morning in my way to work. Less than 30 miles on it. I had been getting these codes before I did the delete. The rebuild shop said if I pull the turbo and bring it to them the will go through it again and just to be sure they didn’t mess something up. If it all looks right they will put a rebuilt actuator on it for just the cost of the actuator ($700). I think that’s what I’m going to do because I can’t find any reviews on the Genos actuator (good or bad). I just have to wait a week or so because I just had surgery and can’t lift anything heavy. Then hunting season starts on the 15th. So I might pull it the evening on the 18th.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, cwendel liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

As for the air cooled idea I don’t think that will do much as this has 185 deg coolant running through it.

It would warm back up as quick as I could cool it.

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper89 View Post
    I am completely deleted and the turbo was rebuilt the Monday and Tuesday of that week. I put it in on Tuesday night. It acted up on Wednesday morning in my way to work. Less than 30 miles on it. I had been getting these codes before I did the delete. The rebuild shop said if I pull the turbo and bring it to them the will go through it again and just to be sure they didn’t mess something up. If it all looks right they will put a rebuilt actuator on it for just the cost of the actuator ($700). I think that’s what I’m going to do because I can’t find any reviews on the Genos actuator (good or bad). I just have to wait a week or so because I just had surgery and can’t lift anything heavy. Then hunting season starts on the 15th. So I might pull it the evening on the 18th.
    Hopefully they will add some heat when they test it this time.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

They don’t have a way to test it while hot. Crazy because I’m sure I could come up with a contraption to cycle at least hot coolant through it. I just can’t justify the time or money for a one time use.

12. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

If they used a reman unit, the reman actuator is bad. A tune should not cause a problem unless the actuator was bad to start.
    As to the testing, the rebuild shop should have a device for testing actuators. If not, they should be replacing it with a brand new unit. They will probably tell you that there is coolant in the actuator and that caused it to fail. That seems to be a common excuse on the boards.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    If they used a reman unit, the reman actuator is bad. A tune should not cause a problem unless the actuator was bad to start.
    As to the testing, the rebuild shop should have a device for testing actuators. If not, they should be replacing it with a brand new unit. They will probably tell you that there is coolant in the actuator and that caused it to fail. That seems to be a common excuse on the boards.

using Tapatalk
    @Jeeper89 is not blaming the tune, he states the issue was there prior to tuning. The shop rebuilt and tested the actuator but didn’t test the operation when hot.

16. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

They tested my original actuator and it passed their computerized test so they reused it. They will test it again just to check it but I’m going with a reman actuator just to try something different.

18. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, cwendel liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    @Jeeper89 is not blaming the tune, he states the issue was there prior to tuning. The shop rebuilt and tested the actuator but didn’t test the operation when hot.

Never said he was blaming the tune. The rebuild shop us blaming the tune.
    As to the testing, i am going to bet they just ran it through the calibration sequence on the bench and when it passed they just said it was okay. Especially since they rebuilt the turbo and you have the same turbo related symptoms as before. At the least, they should charge you their cost for the actuator for their screw up and loss of your time. Plus, they gave you back the turbo without any real rebuild since there was no change in its performance.

using Tapatalk

20. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast