Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  65
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are all tunes created equal?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Are all tunes created equal?

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the diesel world and have some questions regarding tunes. My truck is a 2017 2500 Laramie which is my daily driver and I would like to delete to improve engine life and efficiency. A coworker of mine recommended a diesel shop that writes tunes. I spoke with them and they use MM3's and write "custom" tunes. They told me I had to upload my stock settings to the SD card and then he can write custom tunes. What stock information is needed to write tunes, is it just the VIN number, or is it other information unique to my truck? I've ran across other tuners with preset tunes which are more affordable. Is there a noticeable difference with the preset tunes in comparison to the "custom" tunes I would receive from a shop that claims to write them specifically for my truck?

From what I've read, I would like to get an MM3. Recently, I've become aware that there is a difference between a MM3 and a Race me ultra. To my understanding, the MM3 requires "custom" tuning while the raceme comes preloaded. Are the Race Me's more affordable because they have preset tunes? I was quoted $1800 from the diesel shop and included: EGR delete kit, Delete Pipe, and MM3 with 5 custom tunes. However, a similar kit on Ebay is going for $1500 and includes: EGR delete kit, MM3(their description reads: EZ Lynk Mads ELectronics Smarty Raceme Ultra Touch, PCM Unlock Flo Pro Warp Custom Tune GDP Efi Live) with 7 different tunes including idle, delete pipe, and throttle valve delete.

I originally came across this forum for DRD; however, I'm timid about pulling the trigger on a lifetime platinum. I wouldn't want to spend the money only to find out they're no longer writing tunes. If they are, whats the average price for having custom tunes? In the end, are all tunes created equal, either custom or preset? Would I be better off spending the extra money and having custom tunes written for my truck or are all tunes fairly similar and it doesn't matter? Any advice or input is welcomed. I look forward to your responses and apologize if this thread is written elsewhere and I've overlooked it.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation KeepEmRollin14's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Are all tunes created equal?

Quote Originally Posted by 4th_gen_chuck View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm new to the diesel world and have some questions regarding tunes. My truck is a 2017 2500 Laramie which is my daily driver and I would like to delete to improve engine life and efficiency. A coworker of mine recommended a diesel shop that writes tunes. I spoke with them and they use MM3's and write "custom" tunes. They told me I had to upload my stock settings to the SD card and then he can write custom tunes. What stock information is needed to write tunes, is it just the VIN number, or is it other information unique to my truck? I've ran across other tuners with preset tunes which are more affordable. Is there a noticeable difference with the preset tunes in comparison to the "custom" tunes I would receive from a shop that claims to write them specifically for my truck?

From what I've read, I would like to get an MM3. Recently, I've become aware that there is a difference between a MM3 and a Race me ultra. To my understanding, the MM3 requires "custom" tuning while the raceme comes preloaded. Are the Race Me's more affordable because they have preset tunes? I was quoted $1800 from the diesel shop and included: EGR delete kit, Delete Pipe, and MM3 with 5 custom tunes. However, a similar kit on Ebay is going for $1500 and includes: EGR delete kit, MM3(their description reads: EZ Lynk Mads ELectronics Smarty Raceme Ultra Touch, PCM Unlock Flo Pro Warp Custom Tune GDP Efi Live) with 7 different tunes including idle, delete pipe, and throttle valve delete.

I originally came across this forum for DRD; however, I'm timid about pulling the trigger on a lifetime platinum. I wouldn't want to spend the money only to find out they're no longer writing tunes. If they are, whats the average price for having custom tunes? In the end, are all tunes created equal, either custom or preset? Would I be better off spending the extra money and having custom tunes written for my truck or are all tunes fairly similar and it doesn't matter? Any advice or input is welcomed. I look forward to your responses and apologize if this thread is written elsewhere and I've overlooked it.
    Not all tunes are created equal... for the most part it is the tuners best guess work and what they have found from road testing to be the best calibration for the results that are generally excepted across the industry. These results are most likely egts, timing, duration, drivability, reliability, code free, power and torque gains, etc. No one is exactly the same and you can get a really crappy tune or a really good tune depending on the experience from the company and its tuners. You also have to realize that you can get similar results with many solutions. What I mean by this is that the results you want are achievable with EZ Lynk, MM3, EFI Live, and Raceme Ultra. MM3 is virtually the same hardware as Raceme Ultra, tuning is altered using Warp tuning however the firmware a file extensions are different so you cant buy an MM3 and load a Raceme tune into it. The advantage to the Raceme ultra is that you get the box tunes and then can pay for someone to make you custom tunes anytime. The MM3 will not function the way you want without custom tuning. I would look at MotorOps or Raceme if you are hesitant about platinum member. Ultimately the tuning isnt really that different from year to year, it is Locked to your VIN. Unless you have plans or already performed a bunch of work, injectors, turbo work, intake, exhaust, etc. you would want custom tuning to get the most out of your truck. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Hello everyone!

Beware of eBay sellers, not all are legit and support after the fact could be limited.

That being said, the cost of a lifetime premium membership here is basically saved upon initial purchase.

Happy hunting.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    Beware of eBay sellers, not all are legit and support after the fact could be limited.

That being said, the cost of a lifetime premium membership here is basically saved upon initial purchase.

Happy hunting.
    It’s also about the quality of customer service after your purchase.
    As a premium lifetime member you also gain access to resources like the ability to download a RAM service manual for free.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

By becoming a member you will get your money back and then some from not only Vendor discounts, but by the wealth of information you will get on this site from people who have had Cummings diesels from the first gens to present day who have first hand knowledge of what works and what didn't.

Not only that but you will be talking with people on here who are always willing to help.

Also I cant speak for @DRD but I can speak for his GREAT!!!!!

Customer service. nothing you could ever find on eBay will ever have that type of personal customer service. You my friend just cant beat that in my book.

No!! Not all tunes are created equal. And customer support afterwards is everything.

Just something for thought.

Last edited by timshooter40; 11-06-2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Left out paragraph

8. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

There is a coupon code that saves you more money than what the platinum membership costs on your tuner order from DRD.

DRD has put in the time to get it right, and they want to make sure your happy, where as the place on eBay is just pushing parts.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Hello everyone!

@DRD is highly though of round these parts for tunin.

He certainly did good with mine. Do it. Ya won’t be disappointed.. Ya got any issues, he’ll treat ya right.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

I ended up pulling the trigger on the platinum.

A little more expensive, but the peace of mind with customer service is worth it.

Looking forward to doing business with them in the near future.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I ended up pulling the trigger on the platinum.

A little more expensive, but the peace of mind with customer service is worth it.

Looking forward to doing business with them in the near future.
    You wont regret it.

Lifetime membership gives you the freedom to discuss diesel performance topics freely in the premium members section as well as gives you access to a ton of information...not to mention the friendly conversations from the guys and gals who post.

And of course we discount our tuners and tuning platinum members as well!

So well worth the expense!

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

X2 ^^^^^^

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

15. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS, BlackBart thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast