Hello everyone!

I'm new to the diesel world and have some questions regarding tunes. My truck is a 2017 2500 Laramie which is my daily driver and I would like to delete to improve engine life and efficiency. A coworker of mine recommended a diesel shop that writes tunes. I spoke with them and they use MM3's and write "custom" tunes. They told me I had to upload my stock settings to the SD card and then he can write custom tunes. What stock information is needed to write tunes, is it just the VIN number, or is it other information unique to my truck? I've ran across other tuners with preset tunes which are more affordable. Is there a noticeable difference with the preset tunes in comparison to the "custom" tunes I would receive from a shop that claims to write them specifically for my truck?

From what I've read, I would like to get an MM3. Recently, I've become aware that there is a difference between a MM3 and a Race me ultra. To my understanding, the MM3 requires "custom" tuning while the raceme comes preloaded. Are the Race Me's more affordable because they have preset tunes? I was quoted $1800 from the diesel shop and included: EGR delete kit, Delete Pipe, and MM3 with 5 custom tunes. However, a similar kit on Ebay is going for $1500 and includes: EGR delete kit, MM3(their description reads: EZ Lynk Mads ELectronics Smarty Raceme Ultra Touch, PCM Unlock Flo Pro Warp Custom Tune GDP Efi Live) with 7 different tunes including idle, delete pipe, and throttle valve delete.

I originally came across this forum for DRD; however, I'm timid about pulling the trigger on a lifetime platinum. I wouldn't want to spend the money only to find out they're no longer writing tunes. If they are, whats the average price for having custom tunes? In the end, are all tunes created equal, either custom or preset? Would I be better off spending the extra money and having custom tunes written for my truck or are all tunes fairly similar and it doesn't matter? Any advice or input is welcomed. I look forward to your responses and apologize if this thread is written elsewhere and I've overlooked it.