Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: ELECTRONIC MODULE REPAIRS ON YOUR TRUCK ABS, PDC ,TCS, ESP, ECM, Instrument clusters

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

ELECTRONIC MODULE REPAIRS ON YOUR TRUCK ABS, PDC ,TCS, ESP, ECM, Instrument clusters

Hi all

I recently had my ABS module fail on my 03. I went to find a used one, they were between $250 and $300 used. Something like this is an unknown. As I understand it, especially the Kelsey Hayes units have problems. GM and Dodge use Kelsey. The PDC , Power Distribution Units, (Fuse box) has failures too. You can repair them yourselves if you have the right tools. Even I wouldn't mess with the ABS module. Having a RWD, my module is rare. The ones quoted to me were 4 X 4. Typically it's solder joints or PCB traces that fail.

I spoke with a friend of mine who knows these brake systems, as he was one of the engineers who designed them. Kurt at Shibby Engineering. He sent me to a company called Module Master. www.modulemaster.com The final cost with overnight return shipping was $163.00. They also give you a 5 year warranty. Pretty significant savings.

They are very responsive and from what i can tell, have a great reputation. The good thing about sending your module to them is they can find other things that may fail. They repair more things like your Dash clusters and ECM's. You'll have to look at their site for details. Too much to list.

I thought I would share this source with you. It looks like this is a better way to go other than used.

BTW, you can drive the truck with the ABS module removed, but you lose the speedo and lock-up on the converters. While Momma's car sits on a frame machine, I have to use ol' reliable.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: ELECTRONIC MODULE REPAIRS ON YOUR TRUCK ABS, PDC ,TCS, ESP, ECM, Instrument clus

Great resource, thanks!

I hope I never need it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

3. Thanks Polaraco, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: ELECTRONIC MODULE REPAIRS ON YOUR TRUCK ABS, PDC ,TCS, ESP, ECM, Instrument clus

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    Great resource thanks!

Hope I never need it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Guys who fix this stuff, like @RamIt should be particularly aware of these people.

It's hard to find someone who doesn't carve meat or carry a large caliper when billing you for bad repairs, around here.

First of all, it's so bad you almost need a translator to get air in a tire.

The few good ones I knew have either retired or driven out of business.

That's why I have to hobble my way through repairing my own stuff.

With my condition, I shouldn't be doing this work anymore.

They're around, but I have to go 30 or 40 miles to get to them.

So bad.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Thanks RamIt, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, RamIt, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Pull the circuit board out, note where the connector pins are soldered to the circuit board, the solder breaks over time from connector vibration.

If you get a good set of readers or magnifying glass, you will see a slight black ring all the way around the solder joint that have failed.

This is the break and light arcing creating this black ring.

Toss a little flux and a dab of 60/40 rosin core solder and bump each one of these. 9 times out of 10, it fixes it.

Then secure the wire plugging into it from vibrating.

I have bookmarked your link too. Good source.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post