Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Ram 2500 Auto - Emissions intact tuning

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2010 Ram 2500 Auto - Emissions intact tuning

Hello All,

I am new to the site, been reviewing a lot of information related to MPG improvements for my recently acquired truck (2010 Ram 2500, Cummins, Auto 68RFE, K&N air filter, all else is stock). I use the truck as a daily driver to/from work (16 miles round trip). I also pull an RV trailer with sand toys about 6 times a year (would like to go more, but not done working yet). Trailer loaded weighs about 8000 lbs. Truck has 33.5 inch tires on it as is. Mileage (hand calculated) is 11.5 MPG in town driving. I am not interested in boosting the truck with a lot of aftermarket equipment, but would like to know what can be done to improve the mileage on a stock setup. I have read a lot of information on deleting EGR and DPF, but would like to know what can be done with a stock truck. Willing to go back to stock tires as well to help with mileage.

Are emission intact tuners worth the gain in mileage from a cost basis? In other words, if it takes 30000 miles to payoff the investment, I might be better off paying for additional fuel and leaving it as is.

Are out of box tuners decent enough for my typical usage, or would a professional tuner be able to increase mileage more?

Reliability is also important. Truck will pull the trailer all day long without issue, so I don't need a huge HP/Torque improvement, just better mileage.

If someone already has experience with this model truck with emissions intact tuning, I would like to know if you experienced an improvement in mileage.

Suggestions and guidance welcome. Thank you in advance.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2010 Ram 2500 Auto - Emissions intact tuning

Correction on the tire size, truck has 35 inch tires....

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Any input from the forum on this? Can DRD setup a tune for 2010 Ram 2500 that will help with mileage, maybe an EGRless tune?

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

For a 2010 I don't think there is an EGRLess tune available.

07.5-12 trucks don't have DEF and rely heavily on egr for emissions compliance.

Shutting off the EGR would likely plug the DPF quickly.

Even with newer trucks, EGRLess is not recommended with already high miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback regarding EGRless tunes. That's one of the things I was wondering about in terms of adding a tune to a truck that has over 100K miles. Curious if there is a general rule of thumb where you don't want to add a tuner (emissions compliant) if the truck has more than X miles on it. Specifically, if an emissions intact tune will cause issues with higher mileage vehicles or if its ok.

10. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee62 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback regarding EGRless tunes. That's one of the things I was wondering about in terms of adding a tune to a truck that has over 100K miles. Curious if there is a general rule of thumb where you don't want to add a tuner (emissions compliant) if the truck has more than X miles on it. Specifically, if an emissions intact tune will cause issues with higher mileage vehicles or if its ok.
    Not recommended on trucks over 50k miles.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

12. Thanks TH-64 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, Thomas1960 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee62 View Post
    Hello All,

I am new to the site, been reviewing a lot of information related to MPG improvements for my recently acquired truck (2010 Ram 2500, Cummins, Auto 68RFE, K&N air filter, all else is stock). I use the truck as a daily driver to/from work (16 miles round trip). I also pull an RV trailer with sand toys about 6 times a year (would like to go more, but not done working yet). Trailer loaded weighs about 8000 lbs. Truck has 33.5 inch tires on it as is. Mileage (hand calculated) is 11.5 MPG in town driving. I am not interested in boosting the truck with a lot of aftermarket equipment, but would like to know what can be done to improve the mileage on a stock setup. I have read a lot of information on deleting EGR and DPF, but would like to know what can be done with a stock truck. Willing to go back to stock tires as well to help with mileage.

Are emission intact tuners worth the gain in mileage from a cost basis? In other words, if it takes 30000 miles to payoff the investment, I might be better off paying for additional fuel and leaving it as is.

Are out of box tuners decent enough for my typical usage, or would a professional tuner be able to increase mileage more?

Reliability is also important. Truck will pull the trailer all day long without issue, so I don't need a huge HP/Torque improvement, just better mileage.

If someone already has experience with this model truck with emissions intact tuning, I would like to know if you experienced an improvement in mileage.

Suggestions and guidance welcome. Thank you in advance.

Stock tires or cutting back to lighter tires will gain decent mileage for you. Factory front bumper with air ram will help. Cut the weight where you can.

if the K&N is not a dry filter I would recommend switching the filter to a dry setup vs oiled. The stock systems are great on these trucks if you still have it.

Like mentioned above 50k or less is recommended for emission tuning. You could try running fuel additive like archoil. I personally get .5 mpg better (nothing great but pays for itself) and I have seen others net 1-2mpg better when adding at each fill up.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks TexNeck. I am currently using Royal Purple diesel fuel additive, but I will take a look at Archoil. Never heard of it before now. Getting close to selecting a stock tire, should have it figured by the weekend. Seems like there are lots of good options to suit my use.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

As the others have stated, there are a few emissions compliant tuning options for the early 4th gen trucks but none of the disable the EGR like what can be done on the later models.

I lost 2 mpgs when I went to 35s so going back to stock size or even something like a 285/75 (assuming you still have factory 17" rims) will help a little.

Unfortunately the only way to get any real mpg gain is a full delete, but even then, it seems hit or miss for some guys.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Just for a little insight, I have a 2010 with a lift and run 37x13.50 off road tires. I was averaging 11.3 mpg and am now at about 17 mpg. I figure I save around 20-25 bucks per tank of fuel and I fill up weekly. That equates for me to about 1200 bucks a year in fuel savings.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast