Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo covered in soot

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo covered in soot

Well guys i think i have some bad things going on with the turbo or is it just a seal what do u guys think?https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5dbcbabc...at-2285617.mp4

2016,ram 2500,black,egr delete,DPF delete, throttle body delete, 4 inch flo pro turbo back exhaust,mm3 tuner,33x11.5 tires,6000k hid head lights.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo covered in soot

That sucks man. I would say you have a small leak.... pedestal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Graphite- pretty much stock for now.

Sold- 2010 Ram 2500 SLT- leveled, full delete.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Megacum View Post
    That sucks man. I would say you have a small leak.... pedestal?

What would be the symptoms would this effect rail pressure and engine sound cuz i been trying to figure out whats wrong with this thing for months. I get a strange hesitation randomly at heavy throttle asnd the rail pressure sticks at 22000 and dies off slowly...

2016,ram 2500,black,egr delete,DPF delete, throttle body delete, 4 inch flo pro turbo back exhaust,mm3 tuner,33x11.5 tires,6000k hid head lights.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I am no expert and I don’t know about the rail pressure but it would make sense on the hesitation in power if you are loosing pressure during spool up. You are basically getting a lower psi during spool because it’s leaking. I bet you blew a seal on the pedestal. You also may look at the wiring right there. Hard to tell from the video but if it got too hot it could have melted the insulation on that wiring harness.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Megacum View Post
    I am no expert and I don’t know about the rail pressure but it would make sense on the hesitation in power if you are loosing pressure during spool up. You are basically getting a lower psi during spool because it’s leaking. I bet you blew a seal on the pedestal. You also may look at the wiring right there. Hard to tell from the video but if it got too hot it could have melted the insulation on that wiring harness.

You know more than me LOL im new to these trucks man thanks for the input.

2016,'ram 2500,'black,egr delete,'DPF delete, throttle body delete, 4 inch flo pro turbo back exhaust,'mm3 tuner,'33x11.5 tires,'6000k hid head lights.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

There are people in here way smarter than me. I’m sure one of them will chime in after a while. Forum tends to be more lively on the weekends.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

From the video it looks like you have an oil leak between the pedestal and the electronic actuator that controls the geometry of the turbo; just so you know that since it is on the pedestal it can't be soot; the only way you will have soot on a turbo is either a broken band clamp on the turbine housing or a crack/hole in the turbine housing. If you could try and get another video following up the wiring harness so I can make sure you don't have any further problems. As far as your power loss the only thing I can see is the actuator isn't functioning properly. Now here is a question for you; you said the rail pressure only hits about 22,000 psi at that same point what is the boost psi?

Quote Originally Posted by thesootchucker View Post
    Well guys i think i have some bad things going on with the turbo or is it just a seal what do u guys think?https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5dbcbabc...at-2285617.mp4

14. Likes Megacum, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    From the video it looks like you have an oil leak between the pedestal and the electronic actuator that controls the geometry of the turbo; just so you know that since it is on the pedestal it can't be soot; the only way you will have soot on a turbo is either a broken band clamp on the turbine housing or a crack/hole in the turbine housing. If you could try and get another video following up the wiring harness so I can make sure you don't have any further problems. As far as your power loss the only thing I can see is the actuator isn't functioning properly. Now here is a question for you; you said the rail pressure only hits about 22,000 psi at that same point what is the boost psi?
    The rail pressure will hit 27 but wen i let off the throttle sometimes it sticks at 22k and sounds like a danm 12 valve does then it dies off and goes back to normal

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Boost is maxing out at 30 psi if i can recall id have to shoot another video in the am its pitch black where i park LOL

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Okay yeah your about maxed on boost for the stock turbo. Hey no worries man whenever you post it up here I'd be glad to look at it for you. I'll have to do some research to see if you can replace the seal on the actuator yourself but If I remember correctly all you can do is take off the cover for it before you have to be really careful and precise working on it. Who tuned the truck?

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast