Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  45
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turbo covered in soot

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo covered in soot

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    So the concern most people have is the fuel rail over pressurizing and exploding/cracking but the factory and most modified CP3's wont make enough pressure to cause damage. I have a plug installed on my truck so I dont have to worry about it on long road trips

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    So what symptoms were you getting when it pop or whatever?

2016,ram 2500,black,egr delete,DPF delete, throttle body delete, 4 inch flo pro turbo back exhaust,mm3 tuner,33x11.5 tires,6000k hid head lights.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thesootchucker View Post
    So what symptoms were you getting when it pop or whatever?

2016,ram 2500,black,egr delete,DPF delete, throttle body delete, 4 inch flo pro turbo back exhaust,mm3 tuner,33x11.5 tires,6000k hid head lights.
    Pops*

4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

I never had any issue's with the rail pressure relief valve it was a precaution i took. The valve failure is actually quite common. So when it fails you end up with loss of power, lower fuel economy, excessive smoke, rail pressure drops random like what your talking about

5. Thanks watersupply189, thesootchucker thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

These guys are giving good info.

To me it looks like the video had an oil leak and not soot. If it were soot it would likely be in the turbo outlet/back where the down pipe is. There is a vband connection there that if loose would cause soot to come into the engine bay. More than likely it would be all over the engine bay and fire wall and not look so contained.

take a look at your oil feed line- it goes in on the top side of the turbo. I would hit the spots good with brake clean and get the existing black out of there and then see if the feed line will snug up for you. If you can’t get any turn out of it then you’ll need to try and locate exactly where it’s coming from (hence the cleaning).

loss of rail pressure could be a few things. 27k mean CP3 sounds healthy and I would suspect PRV like stated or the FCA (fuel control actuator).

I recently joined Clayton over at Dudes Diesel and would be happy to help with any parts you want. Feel free to shoot me a PM and let me know your thoughts!

be sure to keep us all posted as you make progress!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    These guys are giving good info.

To me it looks like the video had an oil leak and not soot. If it were soot it would likely be in the turbo outlet/back where the down pipe is. There is a vband connection there that if loose would cause soot to come into the engine bay. More than likely it would be all over the engine bay and fire wall and not look so contained.

take a look at your oil feed line- it goes in on the top side of the turbo. I would hit the spots good with brake clean and get the existing black out of there and then see if the feed line will snug up for you. If you can’t get any turn out of it then you’ll need to try and locate exactly where it’s coming from (hence the cleaning).

loss of rail pressure could be a few things. 27k mean CP3 sounds healthy and I would suspect PRV like stated or the FCA (fuel control actuator).

I recently joined Clayton over at Dudes Diesel and would be happy to help with any parts you want. Feel free to shoot me a PM and let me know your thoughts!

be sure to keep us all posted as you make progress!
    I have tryed changeing out the FCA and have a rail plug on my counter i was just unsure if to trust it or not but i think im gonna give it a shot and clean the turbo up as well and try to locate where the oil is coming from will for sure keep you guys posted thanks so much for the inputs!!

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Any of you guys know where i could buy the actuator wireing harness and gaskets?

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Any of you guys know where i could buy the actuator wireing harness and gaskets?

I couldn't find just the o-ring but I found this for you. For the wiring harness I could look it up for you hut I would need your vin or you can look it up at https://parts.cummins.com

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4032075-Hol...-/323685125641

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

After doing some research it looks like there are 2 solutions for your wiring harness.

1. Inspect the area where the shielding melted for broken/burnt wires; if the wires are not burnt or damages just re-wrap the area with black electrical tape. If it is damaged you can either solder the wires back together or you can splice them back together; if you have to repair them make your you shrink wrap them then wrap it with electrical tape. This is the easier and much cheaper option

2. Buy a new engine harness not a likely choice

15. Thanks watersupply189, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Idk how the relief valve is suppose to look but here is the old one does that look normal?

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Idk how the relief valve is suppose to look but here is the old one does that look normal?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...37914e268f.jpg

Yeah its definitely done its job more then a few times and the factory valve is really designed for a one time use

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast