Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: coolant leak

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

coolant leak

I'm trying to pinpoint a leak in my 2015 3500.

I think it might be the known o-ring leak, but wanted opinions before ordering parts.

The highest point showing any signs of coolant on them is the bottom of the sensor circled in red's bracket. I believe that is exhaust temp sensor.

You will have to excuse the dirty camera lens pictures, but you can see the coolant hits the side of the air intake hose and drips down onto the coolant hose and then it goes down to the frame in front of the engine.

I can't actually pinpoint the leak as I think its only leaking when cold.

It started doing this on a morning in the teens and I hadn't plugged it in.

2. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: coolant leak

Hmm, more then likely the o-ring is the culprit like you suspect. Are you able to tell if it's wet what so ever underneath where the o-ring is?

If you are able to one morning when it's cold start it up and go carefully take a look to see if you can at least see where the drips are coming from.

If it is an o-ring you can pick one up from a parts store vs ordering one online.

I can't remember the exact size but whatever kit you have the manufacture should be able to tell you unless it's still good enough to remove and get matched up.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks watersupply189, arnoldsq thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, arnoldsq, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yes, there is residue directly under the connection to the factory metal hose and the blue fitting.

The first picture is the fluid and residue left on it.

6. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Mine is doing the same thing.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Funny thing is I can let it sit and run for 20 minutes and it doesn't drip at all, but if I start it in cold weather I have a puddle under the truck.

I put about half a gallon in yesterday.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

So for the time being I noticed while checking for the fitting having any signs of leaks that it isn't sitting flush.

I cant take it apart to find the O ring size "its an eBay kit" until my wife is home to steal her truck.

I'm going to loosen the mounting bracket and try to seat it all the way. too bad you cant just take that metal pipe off and connect to a single mounting point with a band around it.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsq View Post
    So for the time being I noticed while checking for the fitting having any signs of leaks that it isn't sitting flush.

I cant take it apart to find the O ring size "its an eBay kit" until my wife is home to steal her truck.

I'm going to loosen the mounting bracket and try to seat it all the way. too bad you cant just take that metal pipe off and connect to a single mounting point with a band around it.
    Mine did the same thing, the oring that came with my delete kit was square, but it's the same size as stock o-ring on the front end of the EGR cooler. I had my EGR cooler in a box, so I reused the stock o-ring and it stopped the leak.

I did loosen the bracket and reposition it as it was sagging a little, which probably contributed to the leak.

As far as it leaking when it's cold, o-rings will shrink in the cold.

I'm a helicopter mechanic in Montana and when we park the older UH-60’s in our unheated hangar during the winter the hydraulic systems sometimes leak in a few areas that have o-ring seals.

2011 Ram 3500 SLT, 6.7 Cummins. 4.10 gears 68RFE Transmission. RaceMe Ultra with Warp Tuning by DRD, DDP Hooligan turbo, GDP Air Boss grid delete, S-2 Intake manifold and Mega-Flow TVM Grid Heater. 4 inch superlift lift kit with Bilstein shocks, dual steering stabilizer. 35x12.5x20 Toyo AT3s on black KMC XD795 wheels. Fender flares, N-Fab 6 step nerf bars.
    Honestly it's just a tow rig...

14. Thanks arnoldsq, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

This has been a common problem that has plagued lots of people since doing EGR deletes. That fitting wiggles slightly and the oring leaks. Varies hot or cold for everybody. Thats why I did all my mods I did and just eliminated that whole connection. I cut up that whole collant pipe and welded on AN fittings etc and just removed that ugly thing.

You can see pics of what I did in my build thread. Probably more work that your willing to do but I enjoyed doing it LOL

2015 Ram 2500 Laramie, full delete, 4.88 gears, 40" Milestar Patagonia on Method wheels AEV 3" dual sport suspension, Thuren softride coils King Shocks with resi's

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post