Likes Likes:  334
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grid Heater Troubles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

Grid Heater Troubles?

Hi all.

I have a check engine light on my 2013 that came on the other day and the code was P2609 intake air heater.

So I looked at the relay and it looked good then I followed the power wire going from relay to the heater element and noticed the stud was loose and they call it the Cummins grid heater killer bolt.

So I am wondering if I should do the delete or get a new grid heater element?

Please help LOL.

2. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

It's definitely up to you but if you don't live in an extremely cold climate then i would just remove it. I would utilize the Glacier Diesel Power grid heater delete.

If you would like to have some type of grid heater they have one that you can install easily.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Grid Heater Troubles?

Thanks; yeah, I live in Missouri, so it’s not too bad here, and I am just worried that that bolt will break off and get down on one of the cylinders.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by DDP View Post
    It's definitely up to you but if you don't live in an extremely cold climate then i would just remove it. I would utilize the Glacier Diesel Power grid heater delete.

If you would like to have some type of grid heater they have one that you can install easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman36 View Post
    Thanks , yeah I live in Missouri so it’s not to bad here , and I am just worried that , that bolt will break off and get down on one of the cylinders
    DDP has the Shibby delete as well. Shibby was the first delete and nicely made. Uses Cummins OE gaskets. Not aftermarket. Can't go wrong

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman36 View Post
    Thanks; yeah, I live in Missouri, so it’s not too bad here, and I am just worried that that bolt will break off and get down on one of the cylinders.
    DO NOT START IT.

If it's loose, it's already broken or about to be severed from the arcing of the current.

DO NOT start it.

FIX IT NOW.

Or remove the intake horn and go in there and break it free.

If it fails, expect no less than about $15,000 in damage.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Just delete it.

If you need a grid heater go with the inline one that installs in the post-filter intake tubing.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

My 2013 2609 CEL came on.

Checked the grid heater bolt and it was loose. I shut the truck down and removed it that day. 127K miles on the truck.

If you decide to keep it stock and replace with a new Cummins heater make sure you check the Torque on the inner bolt before installed.

The heater grid maintenance is required i think every 60.000 miles anyway for cleaning. Just replace it.

This took 2 days to get to me. I live in the North Pole it helps LOL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25427698447...m=254276984473

13. Thanks watersupply189, timshooter40 thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    If you need a grid heater go with the inline one that installs in the post-filter intake tubing.
    Link?

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

15. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

17. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes One2doo, timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Sorry to tag on to this post but I am in the same boat on my 2013 2500. Intermittent p2609 code and loose grid heater terminal.

I ordered a new grid heater but want to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Is checking the torque on the inside bolt sufficient?

I was thinking about tig welding the nut to the bolt so it definitely won’t come off.

Just an FYI. I love in Communist California so I don’t want to delete it and I need to pass a smog check immediately.

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast