Thanks Thanks:  95
Likes Likes:  334
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grid Heater Troubles?

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by DDP View Post
    It's definitely up to you but if you don't live in an extremely cold climate then i would just remove it. I would utilize the Glacier Diesel Power grid heater delete.

If you would like to have some type of grid heater they have one that you can install easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman36 View Post
    Thanks , yeah I live in Missouri so it’s not to bad here , and I am just worried that , that bolt will break off and get down on one of the cylinders
    DDP has the Shibby delete as well. Shibby was the first delete and nicely made. Uses Cummins OE gaskets. Not aftermarket. Can't go wrong

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

I would put it downstream of the MAP sensor.

I share your concern regarding being too close and before it.

-Muzzy

2008 Megacab 4x4 G56 Trans - All mods lost in boating accident - EFI Live by Muzzy, 2nd gen S467.7/83/1.0, Banks Monster Ram, 5" Exhaust, Grid Heater Delete, Rail Plug, BD Flowmax LP, SB Clutch, Fuel Sump -8AN line, Bilstein 5100s, Cali Track Bar, Dynatec B-joints, Level Springs, 1" Lift Shackles Rear, Royal Purple Lubricants...there is probably more that I forgot.

4. Thanks protonpow thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Wow! I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one.

When I bought my truck it had a blown head gasket so while it was in the shop for that, they said when they removed the grid heater it was broken and it fell into the intake manifold as soon as they touched it.

I guess this bolt is why. In any case, I deleted it to avoid that issue in the future.

6. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

@protonpow I'm very interested in how your install goes as it’s what I’m considering doing.

The only difference is I was thinking 2 of those GM heaters because i read somewhere 1 doesn't draw enough power to not throw a code.

From what I’ve read recently 2 will probably draw too much so now I’m not sure.

What about underneath for your heater location?

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Is this a problem with all 6.7s or just 13+?

This has me checking mine every freaking day.....

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by mseitz24 View Post
    @protonpow I'm very interested in how your install goes as it’s what I’m considering doing.

The only difference is I was thinking 2 of those GM heaters because i read somewhere 1 doesn't draw enough power to not throw a code.

From what I’ve read recently 2 will probably draw too much so now I’m not sure.

What about underneath for your heater location?

One of the reasons I went with Ray/DRD MM3 tunes was his positive service record and future ability to make adjustments to tunes for just such problems as throwing a code for different heater element. I assume, the code data can be adjusted to not throw a code, at a cost, but worth the tariff if having a code interferes with function or inspections.

I have considered the underneath location you circled, but would prefer it below the MAP sensor, for aesthetics, ease of welding and service. I figure the BD horn is about 2" separation from the map sensor. On the Banks, it might end up 1.75 " separation.

I do not wish to be without a heater because it makes sense to start easier, and less smoke produced when warm.

If you look online, you can find the element in my pics for about $50. It will be listed as a GM product. Less than half of $115 +/- other vendors are marketing it for! Mine was the latter.

Win some, loose some! But maybe you can save!

I had hoped to just throw the new horn on previous to this past weekend as I was installing the banks intercooler, but after removing bolts, I couldn't easily separate the stock horn from the grid heater plate. If I forced it and damaged it, I didn't have enough time to do the grid heater delete if I damaged it during horn removal. Instead the egr was repaired to function more engine safe. LOL.

Another saving point needs to be investigated is $150+ for egr probes when they can be purchased for between $6 and $20. I don't mind profit for producers and resellers, they need to live too! However when dealing with devices that attempt to force proprietary stuff at exorbitant markups get concerned and perhaps feel abit taken advantage of when the $ spread is so great!

When I get to it I will post how I handled the heater issue.

2017 Ram 6.7l Limited CC DRW. Mm3 -DPF -scr 18-19 mpg per 900 mile trips mostly at 65mph.
    Spiral resonator and straight through glass pack resonator. Still mild drone but Bose Q35's make the drone disappear!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
    I would put it downstream of the MAP sensor.

I share your concern regarding being too close and before it.

-Muzzy
    Yah! Thought of that, but it would be lopsided heat distribution as the horn widens out beyond the map/egr ports. Going underneath was suggested but welding and service not as easy.

In my other response compared BD horn location, about .25" more.

I may look at front side position, opposite and before the map sensor to gain back a bit of separation between the map sensor and the GM style heater(available for about $50 elsewhere vs $115 through bd distributors). In doing this position, heat distribution, I figure, would be more evenly distributed to the flow stream, and still easy to tig and service.

I am willing to take a calculated risk if I make adjustments to mitigate potential conflict.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

I am looking into this also with 136k and have not looked at that bolt yet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

14. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

So this is what I came up with on the banks monster ram intake worn.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

16. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast