Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Grid Heater Troubles?

1. Top Of Page | #51

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
    Bob? What did Bob do?
    Thanks.

EDIT: Also note that all this killer grid heater bolt stuff only applies to stock trucks. If your truck is deleted then there is no reason to have the grid heater at all.
    -Jake-
    @Electrojake Curious, I'm surprised to hear that. Why would there be no reason to have the grid heater if you're deleted?

2010 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Big Horn 4x4, Yukon Gear & Axle YP C5-C11.5 Rear Diff Cover, A.R.E. V Series Truck Cap

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #52

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
    Bob? What did Bob do?
    Thanks.

EDIT: Also note that all this killer grid heater bolt stuff only applies to stock trucks. If your truck is deleted then there is no reason to have the grid heater at all.
    -Jake-
    See post #16 in this thread. Great video @Electrojake

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Electrojake thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #53

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Just to clarify, and answer some questions, the need for a grid heater is dependent on the climate. At 20 below zero the grid heater is a nice aide to staring whether you are deleted or not. To add the Glacier Diesel heater as I did you must unplug and remove the “Throttle Valve” If you are not tuned then this will throw a trouble code.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #54

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Thanks Bob!

I do have a question: Does the grid heater only energize @ certain temps?
    Or is it energized with every start up?

I have had to deal with glow plugs for over 15yrs - this is my first relationship with this pesky grid heater...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

8. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #55

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Great question!
    I've been told over & over again that anything below 40F triggers it but I'd love to see that in writing for 2013+ model year trucks, (I have also been told below 60F too).

Since I have an LED indicator that lights whenever there is power to the grids I have never noticed it 'not' be on soon as I start the truck.
    In warmer weather it cycles 'once' then stays off. In cold weather it cycles over and over again.

Honestly I dont remember ever paying attention to it on a hot Summer day, however if Summer ever arrives I'll be watching what happens.

2016 Longhorn 3500, 4x4 shortbed CrewCab, Cummins HO/AISIN, 99.8% stock.
    * Hauling a 2018 Northstar Arrow-U. Scale weight 12,400 Lb.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #56

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Thanks Bob!

I have had to deal with glow plugs for over 15yrs - this is my first relationship with this pesky grid heater...
    Yes the grid heater is only energized at certain temperatures. Here is Mopar Tech’s Theory of Operation:

Theory of Operation
    Heating the inlet air during cold temperatures will increase the fuel efficiency and improves system performance. An Intake Air Heater is used for this purpose. The Intake Air Heater works in two phases, preheat phase (before engine starts) and post heat phase (after engine starts). Preheat phase typically heats the Intake Air Heater coil during the key-on for about 10 seconds to 75 seconds depending on inlet air temperature. The PCM controls Intake Air Heater operation with the Intake Air Heater Relay, which is located directly behind the air filter box under the fresh air hose. The Intake Air Heater Relay is not a typical type of relay due to the amount of current passing through it. The Intake Air Heater Relay visually resembles a solenoid in appearance. The Intake Air Heater monitor looks for a change in battery voltage as the heater is turned on and off during preheat, to indicate proper operation. The Intake Air Heater performance DTC is a two trip fault. The PCM will turn off the MIL lamp when the monitor runs and passes in 4 consecutive drive cycles.
    Note: If the intake grid heater stays on for an extended period of time due to an electrical circuit failure, the intake grid heater element can cause heat damage to the grid heater terminal. This can lead to open circuits or potentially cause engine damage. Engine damage can occur when the bolt and nut from the intake grid heater terminal falls off into the cylinder head intake.

12. Thanks SyN, Electrojake, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #57

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Ok - Thanks again! Now it makes more sense...
    The deterioration of the bolt - due to the excessive current is what causes the loose connection...

This somewhat tells me - Those who live in a warm climate 275 days out of the year would probably not ever have an issue with this connection - say compared to those owners who live in a colder climate - in which the heater is energized almost every time the truck is started...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

14. Top Of Page | #58

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Ok - Thanks again! Now it makes more sense...
    The deterioration of the bolt - due to the excessive current is what causes the loose connection...
    Yes, assuming the bolt was torqued correctly to begin with.

15. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #59

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

But no statement of at what temperatures this all occurs.

BTW... There is a chart of temp to cycle time for the 5.9L trucks but I have never seen anything on the temperature for the 2013+ trucks.

Just saying.

2016 Longhorn 3500, 4x4 shortbed CrewCab, Cummins HO/AISIN, 99.8% stock.
    * Hauling a 2018 Northstar Arrow-U. Scale weight 12,400 Lb.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #60

Grid Heater Troubles?

In the same boat, but my grid heater bolt is not loose.

I have replaced the relay first by dealer a second time myself, and now the check engine light is on again.

The truck is not in the cold often, but it seems that I have issues with relay failure when I do.

Not sure what else to do.

19. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast