Thanks Thanks:  95
Likes Likes:  334
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Grid Heater Troubles?

1. Top Of Page | #61

Grid Heater Troubles?

The truck is 2017.

When I chased the diagram, the truck was not sending power across the relay to the grid heater when the truck called for it, nor was the grid heater drawing to show an average voltage drop.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #62

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by Rbeast17 View Post
    The truck is 2017.

When I chased the diagram, the truck was not sending power across the relay to the grid heater when the truck called for it, nor was the grid heater drawing to show an average voltage drop.
    What trouble code are you getting?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #63

Grid Heater Troubles?

I am going to hook it up to read code now.

I noticed the truck wasn’t doing its cycle when the grid heater kicked on, so I’m pretty sure it will be the same code P2609.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #64

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Going to hook it up to read code now.

I noticed the truck wasn’t doing its cycle when the grid heater kicked on, so I’m pretty sure it will be the same code P2609.
    Did you check for voltage to ground on both 30 and 87 when the PCM energies the relay across 85 and 86?

See attached: P2609.pdf

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Ki,t and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #65

Grid Heater Troubles?

Last time I had this problem, I found that the relay did not send across 85 and 86, meaning the relay was bad.

Today the check light came on code read the same thing P2609.

So I have not chased the voltage drops again. If it is relay again, that would be the 3rd one put in the truck.

The grid heater bolt is still tight.

So I feel like there is more to the story than I initially thought.

Has to be a reason I keep losing grid heater relays?

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #66

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Last time I had this problem, I found that the relay did not send across 85 and 86, meaning the relay was bad.

Today the check light came on code read the same thing P2609.

So I have not chased the voltage drops again. If it is relay again, that would be the 3rd one put in the truck.

The grid heater bolt is still tight.

So I feel like there is more to the story than I initially thought.

Has to be a reason I keep losing grid heater relays?
    When the ECM is calling for the Grid Heater to be “ON” it will energize the Grid Heater relay by providing 12V on K174 at terminal 85 and a ground path on K974 at terminal 86. With 85 and 86 disconnected from the relay, do you measure 12V with your meter between 85 and 86?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #67

Grid Heater Troubles?

I will test to verify if the 12v is crossing 85 to 86 and get back to you.

Have you heard of relays being this prone to failure?

I have 25k on the truck, and it barely is used in temps that require a grid heater.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #68

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

I have 25k on the truck, and it barely is used in temps that require a grid heater.
    Sounds good; keep in mind you will only see the battery voltage across 85 and 86 when they are disconnected from the relay, and the ECM is calling for pre-heat.

Living in Alaska, my grid heater gets quite a workout for seven months a year.

I am still running my original OEM relay; no problems yet.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #69

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Are you able to confirm that your ECM is sending out the signal to energize the relay across 85 and 86?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #70

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

I ordered the Banks Monster Ram kit to solve jsut this issue long before it ever rears its ugly head.

This is the exact kit I got, with EGR and new heater element. Probably installing it tomorrow.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast