Thanks Thanks:  95
Likes Likes:  334
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grid Heater Troubles?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearheadgregg View Post
    Was looking into this shown , Make sure it draws the same amps or it will throw a CEL 2609 .If i was deleted i would have gone with aftermarket rout also
    Yeah, i know from the little I looked into it that one doesn't but was thinking 2 might and give off a good amount of heat. I’m deleted so i’m sure I could get around that worst case scenario.

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
    I have started mine without a grid heater down to -16F.

It chugged for about a minute, but started fine.

Not to mention the huge obstruction to air flow the stock grid heater provides.

-Muzzy
    plugged in or not plugged in? I saw a video of a guy starting somewhere in that range with no heater and not plugged in and it cranked and cranked but didnt start.

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

3. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Not plugged in. I was traveling and it sat overnight in a hotel parking lot. It went down to -18F that night, but was -16F when I started it the next morning. I had done multiple starts at home in the 0 to -10F range with no issue. Wasn't plugged in any of those times.

It definitely is not going to start like having the heater. It might chug a little bit, but it does start.(at -15F). It runs smoothly after about a minute.

-Muzzy

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

I ended up changing my grid heater on New Year’s Day and I’m glad I did it as soon and I could the stud/ bolt was barely attached and broke off with the slightest force. I’m sure it would have fallen off within a couple hundred miles.

CE021E68-4192-46D6-828A-F9BC7B304B3F.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmeyer2017 View Post
    I ended up changing my grid heater on New Year’s Day and I’m glad I did it as soon and I could the stud/ bolt was barely attached and broke off with the slightest force. I’m sure it would have fallen off within a couple hundred miles.

CE021E68-4192-46D6-828A-F9BC7B304B3F.jpg
    Wow!! You barely caught that one. Was yours already loose? I guess I better check mine also. Thanks for the pictures.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

9. Likes AK Bob, Gearheadgregg, timshooter40 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Yes, mine was completely loose.

I'm glad I watched the Marion Blair YouTube video on it or I would have been screwed.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Wow, this was an informative post/thread. My truck has 124,000 miles on it and I need to check mine to see if it has the symptoms.

13. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Great Post- WOW

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

14. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

I want to thank Rich at Glacier Diesel, he is top notch.

I am exchanging my S-3 intake horn for an S-2, and also bought the grid heater and high flow intake manifold!

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

I too am looking to delete factory grid heater...just haven't gotten around to doing it. Part of my bucket list. My plan is to use the GM on a banks 4" monster horn. Have not fully decided where it would be best to modify the horn and place heater.

I have aluminium disc that I will tig weld onto the Banks Horn once I figure the best location. Then drill and tap for the GM heater.

I am considering placing it where the casting nob is below the airflow(?) sensor. My finger is on the nob in photo below. I would remove nob, weld on an aluminum disc of adequate thickness, drill, tap and intall.

My only concern with that location is, will it be too close to the sensor (next hole) to damage it with heat? Any input would be carefully considered and appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast