Thanks Thanks:  95
Likes Likes:  334
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grid Heater Troubles?

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Well this Heater Grid design is a disappointment directed to the Cummins enganeers.

My custom Supercharger manifold on my Gold Wing was done by a much smaller company and there was NEVER a thought having ANY Nut Stud introduced inside the Plenum whatsoever!

Still cant get my head around this heater stud not being welded to the heater coils and studded straight up through the insulator with the Nut being on top externally....FAIL ...And here is the aftermath.

Looks like some have failed as low as 18.000 miles new.

2. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    If you need a grid heater go with the inline one that installs in the post-filter intake tubing.
    Link?

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

4. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes One2doo, timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

OK ya I'm familiar with that heater.

I was confused because one of the previous posters said something about it being on the air box side.

Any info from Cummins on this?

Did they ever fix the problem on the?

Was this only an issue on early 4th gens?

2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

All 4th Gens are problematic . From what i read on another forum a 2018 failed also . My thoughts are just because we are reading these forums Ram owners don't report here at Cummins forum, so we really don't have a true understanding what the real numbers are .Best advise i could give having mine was a problem and was caught right before it burned through and thrashed the motor.., Would be the 60.000 service recommended by the manufacturer and Clean and inspect .My thoughts were just replace again when 60 K miles happens , That way you can check nut torque again on a new heater before installed. No updated Grid Heater service bulletin is out there . Curious if the 5th Gen has the same ? It would be a disappointment if it does .

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearheadgregg View Post
    Well this Heater Grid design is a disappointment directed to the Cummins enganeers.

My custom Supercharger manifold on my Gold Wing was done by a much smaller company and there was NEVER a thought having ANY Nut Stud introduced inside the Plenum whatsoever!

Still cant get my head around this heater stud not being welded to the heater coils and studded straight up through the insulator with the Nut being on top externally....FAIL ...And here is the aftermath.

Looks like some have failed as low as 18.000 miles new.

https://i.imgur.com/wroyx1B.jpg
    Well you certainly got my attention on these grid heater issues.

Living in Alaska we use the grid heater probably six months out of the year.

I plug in my engine block heater when 20F and colder. I have been watching my grid heater cycle at 10F outside when I start the truck I will wait for the initial pre-heat approximately 10 seconds then after the engine is running I get six cycles approximately 3 seconds on and 5 seconds off until the high idle kicks in.

During these grid heater “on” periods the heater draws 223 amps. I have been checking the “killer bolt” with the jiggle test and no issues so far (5 years and 60,000 miles). Rather than wait for the grid heater bolt failure I decided to order the Glacier Diesel Mega-Flow Grid heater and installed it yesterday.

I have abandoned the stock grid heater in place for now and simply moved the power wire to the new one. Very impressed with the quality of the new heater, install took less than an hour. I have probably over reacted but it gives me peace of mind knowing I am no longer heating and cooling the killer bolt.

The new heater draws the same current and cycles the same as the original. If it does eventually fail the parts won’t end up dropping into the intake plenum.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

You got my attention too.

Was unaware of this issue.

Wishing I would have bought the GDP intake horn that accept the grid heater now!

I bought the normal style one.

Maybe they will exchange, I'll email them.

14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

The GDP horn with the bolted flange is on closeout right now at $100 off.

It says limited stock and they will not be restocked when gone so they’re either doing away with it or have a new design coming.

I’ve been wanting to do this but not sure how I want to do it. I don’t really like the look of any of the bolted flange models, GDP/AFE/shibby. I really like the banks horn but there’s no bolted flange model. I was thinking about drilling and tapping the banks on the back or under for 2 of the bd diesel intake heaters(or GM part number 97251974 which seems to be the same thing but 1/2 the price) but I need to do some more research to see if this is possible.

I’m concerned with where they could be located on the horn and how to wire 2 of them and how that’ll work with the stock system providing the power.

Maybe 1 would be enough heat but I know it’s drawing much less than the stock heater, not the same like the gdp model.

The BD heater. They make a horn that accepts one of these.

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by mseitz24 View Post
    The GDP horn with the bolted flange is on closeout right now at $100 off.

It says limited stock and they will not be restocked when gone so they’re either doing away with it or have a new design coming.

I’ve been wanting to do this but not sure how I want to do it. I don’t really like the look of any of the bolted flange models, GDP/AFE/shibby. I really like the banks horn but there’s no bolted flange model. I was thinking about drilling and tapping the banks on the back or under for 2 of the bd diesel intake heaters(or GM part number 97251974 which seems to be the same thing but 1/2 the price) but I need to do some more research to see if this is possible.

I’m concerned with where they could be located on the horn and how to wire 2 of them and how that’ll work with the stock system providing the power.

Maybe 1 would be enough heat but I know it’s drawing much less than the stock heater, not the same like the gdp model.

The BD heater. They make a horn that accepts one of these.

Was looking into this shown , Make sure it draws the same amps or it will throw a CEL 2609 .If i was deleted i would have gone with aftermarket rout also

17. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Troubles?

I have started mine without a grid heater down to -16F.

It chugged for about a minute, but started fine.

Not to mention the huge obstruction to air flow the stock grid heater provides.

-Muzzy

2008 Megacab 4x4 G56 Trans - All mods lost in boating accident - EFI Live by Muzzy, 2nd gen S467.7/83/1.0, Banks Monster Ram, 5" Exhaust, Grid Heater Delete, Rail Plug, BD Flowmax LP, SB Clutch, Fuel Sump -8AN line, Bilstein 5100s, Cali Track Bar, Dynatec B-joints, Level Springs, 1" Lift Shackles Rear, Royal Purple Lubricants...there is probably more that I forgot.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast