Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  31
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My *%#*ing Brakes!!!

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: My *%#*ing Brakes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyvco View Post
    Yes sir, this is the path I am now taking. I just received my Wilwood master cylinder with adjustable proportioning valve assembly, waiting on my braided stainless lines. I am going to plumb the fronts in direct to the master & run the rears through the adjustable proportioning valve & throw that hunk of schitt OEM proportioning valve at the woods across the street!
    I would make sure the calipers, pads and rotors/drums are rated for the job at hand.

Dodge really did not understand the capabilities of that engine and put some inferior parts on them.

Yours is the first year so it has all the bad news.

Mine was the second year and still had a lot of them.

A lot of the brakes were standard 3/4 ton brakes and barely did the job if you call it that.

The radiators were plumbed on center inlet and outlet hindering cooling (I did the tank upgrade).

The 5 speeds were from the standard gas engines they had to do a recall because the Cummins was shearing the main input shaft.

What they tested though was helpful but a lot of things were just not right.

They brought back the old 727 for the automatics which I had, but they could not use converter lock or it wouldn't hold and they did use Dana 70 axles but had to use standard diffs because limited slip couldn't take it and this was at 160hp/400 tq.

I hope the upgrades worked and I understand you may have budgetary constraints but if it were me I would make sure the wheel end was up to par or I would find a way to replace it.

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aboshan View Post
    I would make sure the calipers, pads and rotors/drums are rated for the job at hand.

Dodge really did not understand the capabilities of that engine and put some inferior parts on them.

Yours is the first year so it has all the bad news.

Mine was the second year and still had a lot of them.

A lot of the brakes were standard 3/4 ton brakes and barely did the job if you call it that.

The radiators were plumbed on center inlet and outlet hindering cooling (I did the tank upgrade).

The 5 speeds were from the standard gas engines they had to do a recall because the Cummins was shearing the main input shaft.

What they tested though was helpful but a lot of things were just not right.

They brought back the old 727 for the automatics which I had, but they could not use converter lock or it wouldn't hold and they did use Dana 70 axles but had to use standard diffs because limited slip couldn't take it and this was at 160hp/400 tq.

I hope the upgrades worked and I understand you may have budgetary constraints but if it were me I would make sure the wheel end was up to par or I would find a way to replace it.
    Yeah, mines a 1989 W250.

I have the 727/3:07 gears & did the line pressure boost, as well as tweaking up my pump.

My turbo was at 200,000 so I changed it to a super core HX35 I think, from Gilette Diesel, wasn’t gonna redo a baby H1C & put it back in!

All my brakes are the larger of the 3 they show for those trucks & were a total mismatch of everything & missing auto adjusters on one side, when I got it.

Everything is back to what it was supposed to be for that truck now.

I’ll post what happens after I do my chang out on the MC & proportioning valve.

Cooling I think is good, I’m in SW FL. & my oil temp might get to 220 under a hard load ( I pull a 14’ tool trailer every day ) on a hot 95-98 day, but normally is at 195-200 degrees.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Ok! 01/20/20: Replaced my new MC with the new Wilwood polished, dual reservoir one. Eliminated my blown out ( for the 3rd. Time in under a year ) PV2 proportioning valve. Plumbed front brakes from axle T direct back to MC with a Stop Flex, Stainless braided line. Came out of “ rear out “ of MC & went to side mounted single in / single out proportioning valve. Went from output side of proportioning valve with a 8” piece of hard line, to a 10 psi pressure maintainer. Went from my 10 psi pressure maintainer, to a Stop Flex, braided SS line, & tied back into hard line going to rear of truck, from where old proportioning valve was. Upon attempting to bleed brakes, I discovered that my new power bleeder I had bought, & had previously only used twice, specifically for this cluster phuck of a brake system, DOESNT FIT MY NEW MC!! Phuck me!! Anyway, take my little reservoir bottle & use it by itself @ each wheel & pump my brakes till my leg feel off, keeping the MC fed with fresh dot 4 fluid. Film the bubbles going into my reservoir bottle by propping up my phone against my tire & review, every time I had to empty it, to see how much air was still coming out. Took forever! As the sun was setting, I decided to fire her up & go for a drive & see if I could set my proportioning valve. Well, tried setting valve & every time I went to slam on the brakes to get the rears to lock up on a dirt road, the damn thing went to rock hard peddle!!! Phuck!! Go home & put the truck up & consume numerous cold bottled beverages, & make plan for tomorrow. Next morning, decided to rebleed brakes all over again, after checking for leaks. I did find two drips, one under MC on rear out & one where I had to reduce down to attach to hard line, where old proportioning valve was. Ran another 2 quarts of dot 4 through the entire system, again filming the results & reviewing after each reservoir dump. Amazing how much air was showing up again! Pump my *** off for another couple hours! Load up & go back to the dirt road to see when my rears would lock up while setting proportioning valve. Holy Schitt!! I got brakes!! I GOT REAL BRAKES MAN!!! Set my proportioning valve at 4 turns in, where I was just getting rear lockup on the dirt road, head home & clean up my mess! Drink copious amounts of ice cold bottled beverages & reflect back on the past two years of my braking nightmare!! Could it really be done? Had I actually won? Let’s not get carried away sparky ( I am actually an electrician) we’ve had these thoughts of success before, only to soon meet bitter disappointment. Let’s not get our hopes up, we know, something is always waiting to fail on this @&!$ing brake system, simple and stupid as it is, thus why I have taken it away from the shop that has been working on it, for a year, & decided it’s my turn to do the final tweaking of this *****!

*** Update! After 5 1/2 weeks of driving her hard & pulling my tool trailer every day, I’m elated to report, I have NO leaks, have had to add ZERO fluid, & have had ZERO problems with my brakes!! GEE THAT WAS EASY!!! Anyway, said I’d give an update & there you have it!! Peace out & fingers crossed, I may actually have a working brake system!!!

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Thanks for update!

Fingers crossed that’ll be the end of that project for good!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Glad you finally got it fixed.

I hope that’s the last time it gives you problems!

Thanks for the update.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

10. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Dude, you have no idea what a freakin nightmare this has been!

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyvco View Post
    Dude, you have no idea what a freakin nightmare this has been!
    Sounds like it’s been a nightmare.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

14. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Glad it all worked out in the end!

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Side benefit from the last round of brake work, I also put my Mag-Hytec pan on my 727 & got my temp probe tied into my Edge Insight CTS2. I now have ; EGT, Boost, Oil Temp, fuel pressure @ post filter, & Trans Temp. Had the pan in my office for the last year, just wasn’t as important as my brakes! The pan I used is only two quarts over stock, didn’t want anything sticking below the transfer case skid plate. Very high quality product, price hurt, but I dint mind paying for something that impressed me for being well built. I also forgot to mention another thing I discovered whilst spiraling in my last Schitt pool of brake woes. I went & bought a vacuum gauge to check my vacuum system, due to all the rock hard pedal issues I’ve had. Even though my booster is also new, some had said may be the pump, lines, etc. I had visually checked all those items numerous times, & didn’t see anything as suspected to be leaking, but this should show me for sure. I plugged into the Vac lines & fired her up & had a constant, violent bounce in the needle! WTF is that, I thought. Checked all lines, the booster, & then went to the cruise control module ...... Son Of A *****, if the damn VAC didn’t go to a steady, dead on 15-16 in hg., as soon as i took the line loose from the cruise module itself!! So, I threw a bolt in that line with a small hose clamp on it & phuck the cruise! I always had a problem with the cruise randomly dropping out, for no apparent reason. Well, I assume i have now come up with a reason for it! I can’t seem to attach the video, this damn thing dint like me puttin pictures or videos on here, never had luck posting one yet on here. Any who! I forgot to put this into my first, too long post, but if it can help anyone out there, to read all the crap I went through & maybe save them a few brain cells, there y’all go!!

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    My year model used hydroboost which was tied into the power steering/brakes. Have you checked your rubber line going to the brake booster for dry rot/leaks? Could also be that the vacuum pump is bad causing your issue.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    That won't cause a pull.

Did you flush the rest of the system?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast