Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My *%#*ing Brakes!!!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

My *%#*ing Brakes!!!

Hey all, I’ve got brake issues from hell on my ‘89 W250. All stock equipment, had been peaced together with the wrong size shoes & was missing 1/2 the auto adjusters on one side, wrong size wheel cylinders on the other side, two different calipers, & what looked like dirty grease for fluid. Here’s a break down of what’s been done so far; new MC, new PB, new Calipers (twice) & pads, turned rotors, new flex line to front axle, new Combination Valve (3x’s!), new flex line to rear axle, complete new adjuster mechanism’s & auto adjusters, new shoes, turned drums, new axle seals (2x’s), flushed entire system 4 x’s, & my brakes still SUCK!! This thing has jerked left, jerked right, had a rock hard pedal that wouldn’t move at all, locked up the fears randomly, blown wheel cylinders, blown calipers, blown 2 combination / proportioning valves, you name it. Doesn’t make sense to pull left or right when it’s only one line out of the valve to the front & rear, how the hell can it pull, you less there’s an obstruction in the T, but it’ll pull left for weeks, then change a caliper or hose & it’s pulling right after that! That stopped when I changed the original combination valve, but the new one only lasted 4 months & blew out the front where the reset button is. The one I replaced it with only lasted a month & it blew out the front also! Those two were from Carolina Classic Trucks, sold as a “ drop in replacement for OEM”. Just replaced it today with a PV2 for a 3/4 ton GM, power bled the entire system (again) damn fluid looks as good Comin out as it does going in. I finished up, fired it up, & damn near ended up in the ditch across the road cause it had a rock hard petal again. I took it for a ride & kept working the brakes, they seemed to be work in a bit & arebetter now, I’ll see tomorrow what it’s like, but it would still go to rock hard petal if you jump on em & it was pulling left, then right & that seems to have leveled off a bit also. What the hell keeps blowing these friggin combination valves out? WTF is with this intermittent rock hard pedal? Just WTF in general is wrong with these ******* *** brakes?? ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME!!!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: My *%#*ing Brakes!!!

Forgot to mention I also bypassed the RWAL unit & ties the lines together, back when I embarked on this ride from hell!

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyvco View Post
    Hey all, I’ve got brake issues from hell on my ‘89 W250. All stock equipment, had been peaced together with the wrong size shoes & was missing 1/2 the auto adjusters on one side, wrong size wheel cylinders on the other side, two different calipers, & what looked like dirty grease for fluid. Here’s a break down of what’s been done so far; new MC, new PB, new Calipers (twice) & pads, turned rotors, new flex line to front axle, new Combination Valve (3x’s!), new flex line to rear axle, complete new adjuster mechanism’s & auto adjusters, new shoes, turned drums, new axle seals (2x’s), flushed entire system 4 x’s, & my brakes still SUCK!! This thing has jerked left, jerked right, had a rock hard pedal that wouldn’t move at all, locked up the fears randomly, blown wheel cylinders, blown calipers, blown 2 combination / proportioning valves, you name it. Doesn’t make sense to pull left or right when it’s only one line out of the valve to the front & rear, how the hell can it pull, you less there’s an obstruction in the T, but it’ll pull left for weeks, then change a caliper or hose & it’s pulling right after that! That stopped when I changed the original combination valve, but the new one only lasted 4 months & blew out the front where the reset button is. The one I replaced it with only lasted a month & it blew out the front also! Those two were from Carolina Classic Trucks, sold as a “ drop in replacement for OEM”. Just replaced it today with a PV2 for a 3/4 ton GM, power bled the entire system (again) damn fluid looks as good Comin out as it does going in. I finished up, fired it up, & damn near ended up in the ditch across the road cause it had a rock hard petal again. I took it for a ride & kept working the brakes, they seemed to be work in a bit & arebetter now, I’ll see tomorrow what it’s like, but it would still go to rock hard petal if you jump on em & it was pulling left, then right & that seems to have leveled off a bit also. What the hell keeps blowing these friggin combination valves out? WTF is with this intermittent rock hard pedal? Just WTF in general is wrong with these ******* *** brakes?? ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME!!!
    I had a 98 12Valve and found that the power steering gear box was sucking in air causing the brakes to be hard as a rock. I replaced the gear box and brakes worked perfectly after that. I sure can understand your frustration. Took me months to figure out what the heck was going on with my brakes.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Really? How did you figure that out & what’s the correlation between the steering & the brakes, on the power steering fluid circuit side of the pump?

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Really? How did you figure that out & what’s the correlation between the steering & the brakes, on the power steering fluid circuit side of the pump?
    My year model used hydroboost which was tied into the power steering/brakes. Have you checked your rubber line going to the brake booster for dry rot/leaks? Could also be that the vacuum pump is bad causing your issue.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

9. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I havent hit the Vac lines yet, that’s next in the list. Wouldn’t there also be intermittent issues with steering, if the Vac pump was taking a dump, & not just the brakes? I haven’t had steering or comfort controls issues, so I figured the pump would be working ok, but depending on the Vac line routing I could see how it could just affect the brakes.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

PS, I drove it today & had very frequent hard petal.

When I got home I slid up under her & checked the combo valve & it was dry & the button wasn’t sticking out the front, no leaks.

Checked M/Cyl level & it’s where I left it at. Seems weird, but I have an incline to my yard & it seems when I back out downhill it acts up almost every time.

Just freakin bizzaro!!!

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

PS, I drove it today & had very frequent hard petal.

When I got home I slid up under her & checked the combo valve & it was dry & the button wasn’t sticking out the front, no leaks.

Checked M/Cyl level & it’s where I left it at. Seems weird, but I have an incline to my yard & it seems when I back out downhill it acts up almost every time.

Just freakin bizzaro!!!
    You said you replaced the brake booster already? Hard brakes is also a sign of a bad brake booster. I replaced everything on mine until I discovered a wet spot on the bottom of my steering gear box which was sucking air in creating my hard brake issues.

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yes, booster is new. Checked my steering box also & it’s dry.

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yes, booster is new. Checked my steering box also & it’s dry.
    Only thing I can think of is either you got a bad booster, vacuum pump bad or there’s a vacuum leak somewhere?

This is definitely frustrating!

Keep us posted what you find friend.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast