Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 12v issue cummin

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

12v issue cummin

if i wasn't at work id look around the site more for this. But my firstgen is sick. it ran fine the day before and went to start it next day and it sounds BAD! lift pump is good, fuel solenoid on the inj pump is working. i unhooked solenoid and just cranked it and it sounds normal from what i can hear. I plan on running it and cracking inj lines one at a time. When its running it's got this AWEFUL knock and engine shakes so bad its like it'll rip off the engine mounts. My buddy swears its the inj pump. hope its nothing too serious. i may pull valve covers and check valve lash and crank engine to listen for air blowing past valves. any advice out there? i'll be takin it to a shop if i cant find anything on my own. shes a 12v ve pump non ic

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

year and mileage?

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

its a 1990. mileage is unknown. stopped at 136000 and that was before i owned the truck

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

so is their any other good way to manualy turn the engine over? other than buying the special tool. not sure if its safe to try turning the engine with the inj pump nut, it'd over tighten it. maybe pull the fan off the engine and get a socket on the flywheel. i plan on takin valve covers off in next two days and need a way to turn the ingine over to TDC to set my valves, assuming one isnt slapping a pisten.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

Sound like the timing slipped.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kizerbread View Post
    so is their any other good way to manualy turn the engine over? other than buying the special tool. not sure if its safe to try turning the engine with the inj pump nut, it'd over tighten it. maybe pull the fan off the engine and get a socket on the flywheel. i plan on takin valve covers off in next two days and need a way to turn the ingine over to TDC to set my valves, assuming one isnt slapping a pisten.
    I use the harmonic balancer bolts

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

well i also went and talked to a local injection shop and they told me an injecter stuck open could do it and you check it by removing fuel lines, remove power wire to the inj pump sol. then make sure you got some diesel in the end of the injecters (where the fuel line connects) and have somebody crank it over. if you see diesel shootin out of the inj then it's stuck open and i did that and saw two inj did it. I've pulled out all six and will take em in today.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

well the injecters were fine. when i did my valve lash i fired it up with the valve covers off and hey ive got no oil flowin up top there! gonna cut open the oil filter but we now think ive spun a crank bearing and thats why the truck reads oil prs but its not getting to top end of engine. i'm thinking ill rebuild it but **** me runnin. i've only filled the truck w diesel twice since owning it! But i can't part it out. it's a first gen!