Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  65
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth waiting until the warranty expires?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Is it worth waiting until the warranty expires?

I’m reasonably sure all dealers aren’t the same, but most of the warranty ends at 36k miles. I’m wanting to delete my truck, more power, better fuel mileage, just like everyone else. Warranty seems to be more of a problem than anything. Deleting it will void warranty. My 16’ has 79k miles on it, with bumper to bumper extended warranty till 108k.

recently had def module failure. Took a week for the dealer to fix it, then the def pump went out. Took it to a dealer in the country. 2 weeks later I get my truck back, it cost me $200 deductible. Without my work truck for 3 weeks. This seems very common, which is why I’m on the fence.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Is it worth waiting until the warranty expires?

Quote Originally Posted by Houairman View Post
    I’m reasonably sure all dealers aren’t the same, but most of the warranty ends at 36k miles. I’m wanting to delete my truck, more power, better fuel mileage, just like everyone else. Warranty seems to be more of a problem than anything. Deleting it will void warranty. My 16’ has 79k miles on it, with bumper to bumper extended warranty till 108k.

recently had def module failure. Took a week for the dealer to fix it, then the def pump went out. Took it to a dealer in the country. 2 weeks later I get my truck back, it cost me $200 deductible. Without my work truck for 3 weeks. This seems very common, which is why I’m on the fence.
    Welcome friend! Just go ahead and pull the trigger. You will be happy that you did!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Likes AK Bob, david3gen, timshooter40, Yamahamod liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yes, I agree go for it. You are due for the EGR system service not covered under warranty. If you haven’t performed that yet put the $800 plus towards your delete. In any event you will save time and money in the long run and have a better running, more reliable truck.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Likes watersupply189, Power247, Yamahamod liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The dealer wanted 1300 for EGR service. LOL.

Bought the kit from Gino’s, haven’t put in on yet.

Thanks for the input.

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Yamahamod liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation GrowingSouthFarms's Avatar

User Info Menu

It's always a gamble/risk. A failed transmission or the engine swallows a grid heater bolt and I would be thankful to still have that warranty. That's a pretty big bill to pay out of pocket. Emission stuff is warrantied out to 80 or 100K I thought and powertrain is 100K also. Those are some big dollar parts covered under that.

My truck has been trouble free at this point (55K miles) so I haven't had a "reason" to delete. If I started having emission issues I may change my mind. It has crossed my mind to do it now because I might not be able to down the road as the gov tightens the noose on tuners but I also see a lot of tuned trucks with issues and people not happy with this tune or that. Throwing codes and of course trashed transmissions. Yes I know a lot of people are tuned trouble free but there is also a large number that do have issues. Tough call for sure.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Welcome @Houairman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingSouthFarms View Post
    It's always a gamble/risk. A failed transmission or the engine swallows a grid heater bolt and I would be thankful to still have that warranty. That's a pretty big bill to pay out of pocket. Emission stuff is warrantied out to 80 or 100K I thought and powertrain is 100K also. Those are some big dollar parts covered under that.

My truck has been trouble free at this point (55K miles) so I haven't had a "reason" to delete. If I started having emission issues I may change my mind. It has crossed my mind to do it now because I might not be able to down the road as the gov tightens the noose on tuners but I also see a lot of tuned trucks with issues and people not happy with this tune or that. Throwing codes and of course trashed transmissions. Yes I know a lot of people are tuned trouble free but there is also a large number that do have issues. Tough call for sure.

After having some problems, I feel the warranty isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. The emissions system is covered until 80k, they wouldn’t cover my parts, had to use the extended warranty. If I had no common sense or mechanical knowledge, I would have paid $4500, for 2 $300 parts. It seems they find any reason they can to void the warranty. The dealerships here don’t have mechanics, they have parts changers. Read the computer, replace one of the parts related to the code generated.

the service manager actually told me that the def pump failed, because I wouldn’t pay 1200 to clean the injectors. I explained to him, those are two totally different systems and not related. LOL. I’m sure I don’t want them anywhere near my truck. The only thing they would cover in the drivetrain warranty, is the block failure.

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Permanent Vacation GrowingSouthFarms's Avatar

User Info Menu

After having some problems, I feel the warranty isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. The emissions system is covered until 80k, they wouldn’t cover my parts, had to use the extended warranty. If I had no common sense or mechanical knowledge, I would have paid $4500, for 2 $300 parts. It seems they find any reason they can to void the warranty. The dealerships here don’t have mechanics, they have parts changers. Read the computer, replace one of the parts related to the code generated.

the service manager actually told me that the def pump failed, because I wouldn’t pay 1200 to clean the injectors. I explained to him, those are two totally different systems and not related. LOL. I’m sure I don’t want them anywhere near my truck. The only thing they would cover in the drivetrain warranty, is the block failure.

Sounds like you are ready to delete then. Like I said, my truck is still trouble free at this point and I feel my warranty still has some value. I'm not against deleting but I guess I'm looking for a "reason" to push me in that direction at this point. So far the pro's of deleting don't out weigh loosing the warranty in my case. Time will tell I guess. Keep us up to date with what you decide to do and how it works out.

16. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

That’s true. I was in your shoes a month ago. I appreciate everyone’s help, still a lot for me to learn.

Planning on doing plenty of looking before I leap.

Updates will definitely be posted here.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

One things for sure... parts on the shelf in the garage can't cause you any more trouble.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast