Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  65
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it worth waiting until the warranty expires?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Is it worth waiting until the warranty expires?

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    No, not wrong. You asked for delete tuning and want to retain a DPF....this simply doesn't exist.

What you want is emissions intact tuning, which does exist, but will significantly shorten the lifespan of the DPF.

Rolling coal is frowned upon by the community as it is the reason why all of this EPA nonsense is happening & people delete their trucks to avoid the common issues that arise with the emissions components; I'd suggest reading more of this forum on the matter; has nothing to do with the dick measuring contest you're referring to.

Also, if you tune your truck, you are voiding the powertrain warranty; I don't care what anyone tells you. FCA will not honor their warranty with non-factory tuning. That includes that EcoDiesel you've mentioned.
    If you're interested in tuning your truck, purchase a Platinum membership and gain access to the appropriate forum for the matter.

The last sentence is the one of interest to me. That kind of tells me where a form of "tune" I want might be available. It just seemed so silly to throw away $100 for the privilege of reading and/or posting on the site. Then out come a few hints related to that last sentence. Guessing now who/where to go to find out IF something like I want is available. First real hint I have read here that may have some value on this topic. Based on what has happened the past few months, I understand.

Sometime early next year I imaging that is what I will do. There is one other person I know who has talked to me of something possible. Only thing is I am guessing it is the typical full delete that I would probably do after a bit of time and mileage on this engine. My old Cummins was 2004 so no emissions. I know all about warranty issues and the 2014 Ecodiesel I owned for over 5 years. Never had an issue with my dealer and GDE. In fact, they recommended it. Just always been surprised there was no comparable product for the Cummins.

Appreciate the hinting information.

As for the comments on power, power, power - the Cummins has a large following for that. Most pickup owners I know rarely to never tow more than say 10K. In fact, most tow far under that. That's why when FCS brought out the Ecodiesel it was so popular and stimulated the Ford and GM clones to the market. I just know there are serious mechanical issues with the Ecodiesel so went back to Cummins. Today the Cummins is a huge motor better fit to the power users than the economy users. Way better of a fit. Just hoping to get the most out of this huge motor for my needs and keep things reliable. A delete for reliability, cleanliness and economy would be the ticket for me and probably a whole lot more owners.

Oh - the DPF's on GDE tuned Ecodiesels seemed to go a few hundred thousand miles and even more before an issue ever showed up. Then you had to switch to the "Off Road" tune and get rid of that in the exhaust.

2. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMal View Post
    The last sentence is the one of interest to me. That kind of tells me where a form of "tune" I want might be available. It just seemed so silly to throw away $100 for the privilege of reading and/or posting on the site. Then out come a few hints related to that last sentence. Guessing now who/where to go to find out IF something like I want is available. First real hint I have read here that may have some value on this topic. Based on what has happened the past few months, I understand.

Sometime early next year I imaging that is what I will do. There is one other person I know who has talked to me of something possible. Only thing is I am guessing it is the typical full delete that I would probably do after a bit of time and mileage on this engine. My old Cummins was 2004 so no emissions. I know all about warranty issues and the 2014 Ecodiesel I owned for over 5 years. Never had an issue with my dealer and GDE. In fact, they recommended it. Just always been surprised there was no comparable product for the Cummins.

Appreciate the hinting information.

As for the comments on power, power, power - the Cummins has a large following for that. Most pickup owners I know rarely to never tow more than say 10K. In fact, most tow far under that. That's why when FCS brought out the Ecodiesel it was so popular and stimulated the Ford and GM clones to the market. I just know there are serious mechanical issues with the Ecodiesel so went back to Cummins. Today the Cummins is a huge motor better fit to the power users than the economy users. Way better of a fit. Just hoping to get the most out of this huge motor for my needs and keep things reliable. A delete for reliability, cleanliness and economy would be the ticket for me and probably a whole lot more owners.

Oh - the DPF's on GDE tuned Ecodiesels seemed to go a few hundred thousand miles and even more before an issue ever showed up. Then you had to switch to the "Off Road" tune and get rid of that in the exhaust.
    We have the tuning discussions behind a paid membership for privacy reasons. There is no guess, what you want is absolutely possible and is in the works right now. It’s not available for the 5th gen yet, but should be soon.

Your dealership can recommend a tune all they want, my dealership didn’t give a **** about my 4th gen being deleted. But they will not warranty any part of the powertrain because FCA (who decides on the claim) will deny it. Please understand this, it doesn’t matter what you choose tune wise, you will 1000%, unequivocally, void your powertrain warranty. This is a non-negotiable fact. (17-18 guys get lucky that the MM3 leaves no trace in the flash counter....but other things can be checked).

The Cummins is the choice for many because of its reputation as a reliable engine. I don’t tow at all or haul. I bought the Cummins because I enjoy going off road and being able to make a huge amount of torque at idle or off-idle is perfect. The truck fits my specific needs in a way a 1500 of any kind would not.

Your point about emissions is a moot one though. You cannot simply have a deleted, clean emissions diesel. Just like you can’t take the cats off a gas engine and call it emissions friendly. If you remove the EGR, you increase NOx. If you disable the SCR, you increase all matters of emissions. Leaving the DPF just means you will trap particulate matter (aka black smoke). Doesn’t make your tailpipe emissions clean.

That is why most people just do a full delete and be done with it all.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMal View Post
    WRONG!

The word "tuning" has multiple meanings. When you ran a GDE "tune" for the Ram Ecodiesel called the "Hot Tune", you kept all the emissions equipment in place. The DPF and DEF were still intact and operable in the exhaust. The DEF injected whatever was in the tank but the sensors to monitor things were turned off. I injected water for 100,000 miles of ownership and avoided all the granular drying and clogging of the injector you put up with using DEF. Regenerations took place at a lesser frequency than stock because pilot injection was altered and the EGR was turned off. The EGR valve never opened. There was never soot in the intake, engine, oil etc. It ran clean so had far less soot and far fewer Regeneration. No "rolling coal" was possible with GDE - the best and cleanest of the"tunes".

In addition that "tune" provided a minor torque and hp increase along with changes in cruise control operation and more. With everything in place dealers had no clue as it sure ran clean and showed nothing to hint there was an operational change. Fuel mileage increased 1-3 mpg also. I would change my oil at 10,000 mile intervals and the oil looked literally brand new, not black soot-infested ink that you see with an EGR operation.

Now there was also an "Off Road Tune" that required total removal of the EGR system and DEF, DPF with the exhaust. That was a full delete tune with all the disadvantages of a full delete. Seems like most tunes for a Cummins are like that.

Sadly for me I do not know of a "tune' like the GDE Hot Tune for the 2019 Cummins. I have heard hints that something might exist but never found a confirmation. Seems like Cummins owners care little of clean-running, longevity, reliability and fuel mileage. Power seems to be the god and "rolling coal" a sign of their manhood. They pay big money for those full deletes, trash their warranties, foul the environment a bit and even make obnoxious noises claiming they like to be obnoxious.

Sure wish there was a version of a Green Diesel Engineering Hot "tune" for the new Cummins.

Going away on a hunting trip for a few weeks. Will not be easy for me to get on after tonight and see if someone has a hint of the kind of "tune" I am talking about. If it exists I sure would like to know about it.

You sir are a tool. You got a heluva lot of nerve showin up on a dedicated cummins site spoutin off at us the way you did.

Lemme tell you sumthin. Clean runnin, longevity, reliable, fuel mileage is the whole reason the vast majority of us do our deletes, and I for one give about as much a right rip about “rollin coal” as I do about your opinion. And another thing... it ain’t about “manhood”. It’s about fail points, and I sure as hell ain’t payin what I paid for my truck to have the damn dashboard light up like Rockefeller center every time somebody sneezes on it.

5. Thanks Yamahamod thanked for this post
    Likes InlineSix.7, RamIt, Yamahamod liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123