Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  65
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth waiting until the warranty expires?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Is it worth waiting until the warranty expires?

Quote Originally Posted by Houairman View Post
    After having some problems, I feel the warranty isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. The emissions system is covered until 80k, they wouldn’t cover my parts, had to use the extended warranty. If I had no common sense or mechanical knowledge, I would have paid $4500, for 2 $300 parts. It seems they find any reason they can to void the warranty. The dealerships here don’t have mechanics, they have parts changers. Read the computer, replace one of the parts related to the code generated.

the service manager actually told me that the def pump failed, because I wouldn’t pay 1200 to clean the injectors. I explained to him, those are two totally different systems and not related. LOL. I’m sure I don’t want them anywhere near my truck. The only thing they would cover in the drivetrain warranty, is the block failure.
    Warranties can't be voided just because someones shoes came untied. We have the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act for a reason.
    As far as the dealer trying to upsell you ****, just find another dealer. Service Writers are salesmen too, they get comp'ed on every service they sell; just someone of them are stupid as **** and will say anything in hopes that the person they are talking to is also stupid as ****. You don't need a mechanics background to be a writer...you can literally know nothing about cars/engines and get hired.

As far as techs go, yes they are parts changers...because that's how the industry operates today. Parts are not designed to be repaired, that's why its R&R time for everything...remove & replace. You don't rebuild a transmission, you put a new one in. You don't rebuild the engine, you put a new one in. The problem with that is, you can't fix 100,000+ miles of caked on soot that way.

To your original point though, just delete the truck. It's the better thing to do in the long run and will save you a fortune in stupid maintenance and ignorant plastic jugs in cardboard boxes.

2. Thanks watersupply189, BlackBart thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I'm in the same boat friend.

All my delete parts are sitting right here next to me, truck only has 10k miles.

I'm hesitant because I've already needed the warranty for a costly repair.

You should have 5 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Noiw if you could find a delete that leaves all the parts there but shuts down the EGR and the DEF, you can live with the DPF. Then all a dealer sees is stock parts and no issues.

Only thing is I do not know of any for the Cummins. My Ecodiesel went lots of miles and a few trips to the dealer with full warranty and did not show a thing tuned. If you find something like that, let me know.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

Do it...
    I think that these trucks are known for longevity and performance. And by performance that can mean mileage or more HP.

The egr/def/etc. do not lend themselves to help in either longevity or performance. I think that calibration improves all categories, including the transmission feel for the 68’s.

The things that come off, can always go back on the truck. At least thats how I understand it.

In my experience, dealerships on anything major is always a major ordeal. Time consuming with weeks- possible months of wait for your truck and always feel like I have to fight for what needs to be done.

8. Likes watersupply189, Power247, Yamahamod liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    I'm in the same boat friend.

All my delete parts are sitting right here next to me, truck only has 10k miles.

I'm hesitant because I've already needed the warranty for a costly repair.

You should have 5 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

Do it if’n ya ain’t plannin on runnin extra HP.

The delete gits rid of most of the fail points.

The rest oughta hold up like 5.9s did if ya don’t crank the horses way up.

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

10. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMal View Post
    Noiw if you could find a delete that leaves all the parts there but shuts down the EGR and the DEF, you can live with the DPF. Then all a dealer sees is stock parts and no issues.

Only thing is I do not know of any for the Cummins. My Ecodiesel went lots of miles and a few trips to the dealer with full warranty and did not show a thing tuned. If you find something like that, let me know.
    Tuning stops the Regen process, so the DPF would clog and bad things would occur.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Tuning stops the Regen process, so the DPF would clog and bad things would occur.
    WRONG!

The word "tuning" has multiple meanings. When you ran a GDE "tune" for the Ram Ecodiesel called the "Hot Tune", you kept all the emissions equipment in place. The DPF and DEF were still intact and operable in the exhaust. The DEF injected whatever was in the tank but the sensors to monitor things were turned off. I injected water for 100,000 miles of ownership and avoided all the granular drying and clogging of the injector you put up with using DEF. Regenerations took place at a lesser frequency than stock because pilot injection was altered and the EGR was turned off. The EGR valve never opened. There was never soot in the intake, engine, oil etc. It ran clean so had far less soot and far fewer Regeneration. No "rolling coal" was possible with GDE - the best and cleanest of the"tunes".

In addition that "tune" provided a minor torque and hp increase along with changes in cruise control operation and more. With everything in place dealers had no clue as it sure ran clean and showed nothing to hint there was an operational change. Fuel mileage increased 1-3 mpg also. I would change my oil at 10,000 mile intervals and the oil looked literally brand new, not black soot-infested ink that you see with an EGR operation.

Now there was also an "Off Road Tune" that required total removal of the EGR system and DEF, DPF with the exhaust. That was a full delete tune with all the disadvantages of a full delete. Seems like most tunes for a Cummins are like that.

Sadly for me I do not know of a "tune' like the GDE Hot Tune for the 2019 Cummins. I have heard hints that something might exist but never found a confirmation. Seems like Cummins owners care little of clean-running, longevity, reliability and fuel mileage. Power seems to be the god and "rolling coal" a sign of their manhood. They pay big money for those full deletes, trash their warranties, foul the environment a bit and even make obnoxious noises claiming they like to be obnoxious.

Sure wish there was a version of a Green Diesel Engineering Hot "tune" for the new Cummins.

Going away on a hunting trip for a few weeks. Will not be easy for me to get on after tonight and see if someone has a hint of the kind of "tune" I am talking about. If it exists I sure would like to know about it.

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

WRONG!

The word "tuning" has multiple meanings. When you ran a GDE "tune" for the Ram Ecodiesel called the "Hot Tune", you kept all the emissions equipment in place. The DPF and DEF were still intact and operable in the exhaust. The DEF injected whatever was in the tank but the sensors to monitor things were turned off. I injected water for 100,000 miles of ownership and avoided all the granular drying and clogging of the injector you put up with using DEF. Regenerations took place at a lesser frequency than stock because pilot injection was altered and the EGR was turned off. The EGR valve never opened. There was never soot in the intake, engine, oil etc. It ran clean so had far less soot and far fewer Regeneration. No "rolling coal" was possible with GDE - the best and cleanest of the"tunes".

In addition that "tune" provided a minor torque and hp increase along with changes in cruise control operation and more. With everything in place dealers had no clue as it sure ran clean and showed nothing to hint there was an operational change. Fuel mileage increased 1-3 mpg also. I would change my oil at 10,000 mile intervals and the oil looked literally brand new, not black soot-infested ink that you see with an EGR operation.

Now there was also an "Off Road Tune" that required total removal of the EGR system and DEF, DPF with the exhaust. That was a full delete tune with all the disadvantages of a full delete. Seems like most tunes for a Cummins are like that.

Sadly for me I do not know of a "tune' like the GDE Hot Tune for the 2019 Cummins. I have heard hints that something might exist but never found a confirmation. Seems like Cummins owners care little of clean-running, longevity, reliability and fuel mileage. Power seems to be the god and "rolling coal" a sign of their manhood. They pay big money for those full deletes, trash their warranties, foul the environment a bit and even make obnoxious noises claiming they like to be obnoxious.

Sure wish there was a version of a Green Diesel Engineering Hot "tune" for the new Cummins.

Going away on a hunting trip for a few weeks. Will not be easy for me to get on after tonight and see if someone has a hint of the kind of "tune" I am talking about. If it exists I sure would like to know about it.
    No, not wrong. You asked for delete tuning and want to retain a DPF....this simply doesn't exist.

What you want is emissions intact tuning, which does exist, but will significantly shorten the lifespan of the DPF.

Rolling coal is frowned upon by the community as it is the reason why all of this EPA nonsense is happening & people delete their trucks to avoid the common issues that arise with the emissions components; I'd suggest reading more of this forum on the matter; has nothing to do with the dick measuring contest you're referring to.

Also, if you tune your truck, you are voiding the powertrain warranty; I don't care what anyone tells you. FCA will not honor their warranty with non-factory tuning. That includes that EcoDiesel you've mentioned.
    If you're interested in tuning your truck, purchase a Platinum membership and gain access to the appropriate forum for the matter.

16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

... Seems like Cummins owners care little of clean-running, longevity, reliability and fuel mileage. Power seems to be the god and "rolling coal" a sign of their manhood. They pay big money for those full deletes, trash their warranties, foul the environment a bit and even make obnoxious noises claiming they like to be obnoxious...
    Easy now.... I was all with you up to the statement above. That's a broad brush you are painting us all with. I can honestly say that I never fit what you outlined above. I'll venture to say neither do the majority of the member on this forum.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

17. Thanks RamIt, watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

WRONG!

Capt, they make an EGRless emission compliant tuning for the Cummins. Everything is still left on except the for the EGR. You will use twice the amount of DEF but still have cleaner exhaust coming out compared to a full delete.
    I agree the GDE “tune” was pretty good for the Eco diesels.
    As for the 2019 trucks I haven’t heard if any tuner has mastered that yet.
    Best of luck on your hunting trip! If ya bag anything make sure to send us a pic!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

19. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt, AK Bob, Power247 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast