Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission relearn after switching power levels?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transmission relearn after switching power levels?

I have a MM3 with tuning from DRD, I typically run the 30hp tune exclusively because I tow my 10k trailer twice a month.

I want to try the 120hp tune for daily driving but I spent 90% of my time on the interstate going 75mph+ for hundreds of miles at a time. A proper transmission relearn is almost impossible because the highway is 1 mile from my house.

what’s the real deal with switching power levels? Can I simply switch and drive normally? Or is that not advisable?

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission relearn after switching power levels?

Truck has a 68RFE by the way.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TUNED18 View Post
    Truck has a 68RFE by the way.
    The more city driving you can do after switching tunes the better but to me, it's switch on the fly for a reason. I change tunes and just drive it. I don't beat on it which I think helps.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have a MM3 with tuning from DRD, I typically run the 30hp tune exclusively because I tow my 10k trailer twice a month.

I want to try the 120hp tune for daily driving but I spent 90% of my time on the interstate going 75mph+ for hundreds of miles at a time. A proper transmission relearn is almost impossible because the highway is 1 mile from my house.

what’s the real deal with switching power levels? Can I simply switch and drive normally? Or is that not advisable?
    You do not need to do a transmission relearn when you switch hp levels, only when the tune is first loaded from stock or you return to stock and reload the tune.

Switch the power level and drive normally everything will be perfectly fine. I run the 120hp tune daily and occasionally run 200hp when i'm cruising on the interstate. I use the 60hp tune when I haul my 10k fifth wheel.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

8. Thanks watersupply189, RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, RamIt, AK Bob, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MC250r719 View Post
    You do not need to do a transmission relearn when you switch hp levels, only when the tune is first loaded from stock or you return to stock and reload the tune.

Switch the power level and drive normally everything will be perfectly fine. I run the 120hp tune daily and occasionally run 200hp when i'm cruising on the interstate. I use the 60hp tune when I haul my 10k fifth wheel.
    ^this

10. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation GrowingSouthFarms's Avatar

User Info Menu

Have a read here. They recommend doing a relearn every time you switch. They build transmission for a living so I think they would know what they are talking about.

https://revmaxconverters.com/take-ca...market-tuners/

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingSouthFarms View Post
    Have a read here. They recommend doing a relearn every time you switch. They build transmission for a living so I think they would know what they are talking about.

https://revmaxconverters.com/take-ca...market-tuners/
    That applies to reflashing an entire tune, not doing a RT horsepower change. The two are mutually exclusive.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Permanent Vacation GrowingSouthFarms's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    That applies to reflashing an entire tune, not doing a RT horsepower change. The two are mutually exclusive.

What is a RT change?

Is that like a change on the fly with a CP5 switch?

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingSouthFarms View Post
    What is a RT change?

Is that like a change on the fly with a CP5 switch?
    The Ultras & MM3s do power changes in Real-Time (RT). They do not clear the CVI indexes in the transmission when applied (unlike the CSP5 has the tendency to do) and do not require a total relearn upon application.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

18. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    The Ultras & MM3s do power changes in Real-Time (RT). They do not clear the CVI indexes in the transmission when applied (unlike the CSP5 has the tendency to do) and do not require a total relearn upon application.
    is this a 100% fact?

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast