Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  70
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xotic Performance Head Studs

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Xotic Performance Head Studs

Have been doing some research on head studs and came across this company out of Ontario Canada, from specs that they have listed, they seem to be right on par with ARP 425 studs and almost at half the cost.

I am wondering if anyone has used theses studs or knows more info on them.

Thanks

https://www.xotic-performance.com/product-page/head-stud-replacement-kit-for-1998-5-2018-dodge-cummins-5-9l-6-7l-diesel

2. Thanks watersupply189, Blakep1986 thanked for this post
    Likes Jaxonsram, watersupply189, Blakep1986 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Xotic Performance Head Studs

Is that price Canadian or US dollars?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes Jaxonsram liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

U.S dollars.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Very rarely does anything ever get made at the same quality as another product for half the price.

Kooks long tube headers for north of $1000 for a set....but Texas Speed is $400.

Both are stainless steel, mandrel bent, & tig welded.

The look the same....but.

One uses US steel...the other uses Chinese steel.

Choose your performance products wisely.

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I get what you are saying, that’s why I was looking for some real world feedback on these.

I could only find 3 reviews for them and they were all positive reviews but again I would like to hear others thoughts.

I work in the boat industry and for example, a Volvo Penta electric water cooled fuel pump is a thousand bucks, the knock off China made pump identical is $175, have installed a handful of them and they perform just fine.

It always one of those, I don’t want to be the test pilot LOL.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Information from another source:

First, a link to A1's website where they show some strength's various alloys and metals: A1 Technologies

H11 alloys to have high tensile strength but are considered poor for corrosion resistance. Understandably, this may be a non-issue because the studs are in oil. This was about the only info I could pull from the A1 website.

The ARP custom age 625 material seems to be a very high-quality material and the method that ARP uses to manufacture their studs seem to be top-notch. Their website details the manufacturing processes and material metallurgy used for production. A link to their website ARP-bolts.com | ARP - World-leading Fastener Technology

The 625 material is one of their stronger materials from what I gathered with all the bells and whistles that go with it.

The 425's are made of the ARP 2000 material which does seem to be a quality grade material, however, it does not have as high of tensile strength as the 625 material.

A description from Glacier Diesel Power's website gives a good description of the 425 head studs:

"98.5-'10 Dodge 5.9L & 6.7L 24V 12mm ARP 2000 Head Stud Kit

To overcome head gasket failures that can occur in turbo-boosted Cummins diesel engines employed in truck and RV applications, industry leader ARP has introduced extra heavy-duty head studs for the popular 5.9L & 6.7L power plants. These ARP studs are rated at 220,000 psi tensile strength, and provide the clamping force required to keep cylinder heads from lifting due to higher combustion pressures.

The studs are manufactured in ARP's Santa Paula, CA plant from proprietary ARP 2000 material; with threads rolled after heat-treat to provide optimum fatigue strength. They are centerless ground to assure perfect concentricity. The ends of the studs are broached to facilitate easy installation. This feature also enables the cylinder head to be removed in tight quarters. Also included in each kit are heat-treated, chrome-moly steel 12-point nuts and parallel-ground washers. They are black oxide finished for extra durability."

So in the end, my conclusion is that all three of these head studs would work well. I don't feel the 625's are overpriced, they have their application in extreme hp rigs. So it depends on where you're going to end up in the hp range.

Information from ARP: https://arp-bolts.com/p/technical.php

ARP's metal compound is proprietary, therefore, there is no way to compare stud construction between the two.

If you aren't planning on throwing all of the boost to your engine, you'll probably never have a concern in the world with the Xotic's. But you should also look at the number of people that bought 425s and then turned around and ended up buying 625s.

EDIT: I'd like to point out that the product description for those Xotic's seems like it was copied right off ARP's website...so there's also that.

11. Thanks Ctd2001, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Seems as though a handful of people have used this brand on the 6.0 power strokes with good results from what I have found.

I guess it’s hard being a newbie coming to the game and getting your foot in the door and building a positive reputation when competing against all the major named brands on the market.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I 100% don't disagree with you on the struggles of a new business.

It's a tough call, if they work and save money fantastic.

But if you save money and they fail....then it doesn't really matter.

15. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ctd2001 View Post
    Seems as though a handful of people have used this brand on the 6.0 power strokes with good results from what I have found. I guess it’s hard being a newbie coming to the game and getting your foot in the door and building a positive reputation when competing against all the major named brands on the market.
    Have you seen black market performance studs?

I haven’t used them but their products are quality and price is right.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I have the black market performance studs, the only downfall is they don't come with the torque lube.

I went to NAPA and got the large ARP torque lube tube for $15 and all was good.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast