Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cummins ISL oil leak while running

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Cummins ISL oil leak while running

Screenshot_20191105-161534_Google.jpg

It's your lucky day.....

18 ft/lbs and the tightening order is above.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Thanks CMB. I'm going to drain the oil tomorrow and let stand for a day or two. Will start the removal by the end of the week. Hopefully the oil pan will release from the block easily without prying.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timjet View Post
    My motor home has a 2006 build Cummins ISL 400 HP with 94,000 miles. I last checked the oil level last month (2000 miles ago) and it was at the full mark. I changed the oil back in April.
    I just noticed the oil level is about 2 qts low and oil has soaked the starter and the passenger side of the oil pan. Oil continues along the outside of the engine on the passenger side with some oil on the outside of the exhaust pipe.

I've developed a major oil leak some time within the last 2000 miles. It does not leak while sitting just when running. It has never leaked oil before.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to pressure wash the bottom of the engine and see if I can tell where the oil is leaking from.
    Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Welcome friend! Is it just at the bottom of the engine or is it leaking from the top side? Valve cover leaking?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    Could be the oil filter, You have to be sure the old o-ring came out when you changed it. Look at the oil cooler and the turbo oil lines too

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timjet View Post
    My motor home has a 2006 build Cummins ISL 400 HP with 94,000 miles. I last checked the oil level last month (2000 miles ago) and it was at the full mark. I changed the oil back in April.
    I just noticed the oil level is about 2 qts low and oil has soaked the starter and the passenger side of the oil pan. Oil continues along the outside of the engine on the passenger side with some oil on the outside of the exhaust pipe.

I've developed a major oil leak some time within the last 2000 miles. It does not leak while sitting just when running. It has never leaked oil before.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to pressure wash the bottom of the engine and see if I can tell where the oil is leaking from.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Screenshot_20191105-161534_Google.jpg

It's your lucky day.....

18 ft/lbs and the tightening order is above.
    The problem I have is it appears it started to leak after the oil change

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Not the oil filter, look at the pictures.

The oil filter is on the drivers side, leak is on the curb side.

Oil filter has no oil around it. 12,000 miles on this oil filter without leaking.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

OK, I got the oil pan off and am cleaning both mating surfaces. The new gasket has blue lines around all the bolt holes, it maybe some sort of adhesive. Anybody know which side of the engine this side of the gasket goes on - block or oil pan. What kind of gasket sealer do you guys recommend. The attachment CMB posted listed Three Bond Sealant but there are several Three Bond Sealants.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Three Bond 1184ATB000/BCL- 1184 Gray Liquid Gasket - 100g.

1184 has a wide temp range and tolerates oil well. I little goes a long way.

Can you post a picture of the pan mating surface and bolt hole. Im just looking at the way the metal is formed.

Cheers

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12