Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: New to towing, have some questions.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

New to towing, have some questions.

I’m new to towing with diesels and have been enjoying our 32’ travel trailer.

The trailer is #8200 empty. My main concern is taking off in first, how much throttle do you give it to get the load moving? I don’t know if it’s safe to just put the pedal to the floor (not how I drive but best way to describe a thought I suppose)

It seems like it’s not good for the transmission with all that converter slip in 1st gear but then again I don’t know much about how the 68RFE operates.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: New to towing, have some questions.

Towing with a Cummins is what it’s made for! You should be fine to give it throttle in first gear. The problems are generally when towing in overdrive. I’d say the consensus is to lock out 6th when towing so that you don’t slip the clutches under load in double overdrive. Watch your transmission fluid temperature and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

4. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The harder you start out the shorter the lifespan of your driveline. Unless your in a trailer towing drag race (for big money) there is no reason to floor it. Start out nice and easy, get it rolling, walk into it nice and smooth. Your truck will love you for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Ok... so I’ll put my 2 cents in here... I had a 2012 with the 68RFE tuned with a mini max by DRD. Had 41” tires on it and a 10” lift. With our bumper pull travel trailer (27 foot model... measured to 31’ ball to rear bumper) weighed 7500 empty. Just leaving the truck in drive... was harsh on dead stop take offs. Would “bang” through the gears like the tranny was gonna fall out. I’d “shift it”. 1st,,, rev it out,,, let off the skinny pedal...2nd,,, rev it out .... off the skinny pedal.... 3rd,,,, rev out... off the skinny pedal.... once it grabbed 4th and the TC locked up.... your off to the races. Lean on it as much as you want .... feels like a freight train. I wouldn’t let it in 6th gear. Always towed in 5th. 5th gear at 65mph it was sitting at 1500-1600rpm. Sweet spot for the Cummins in my opinion. (Tire size and gear ratio was the issue here). Truck would pull 95% of the hills we encountered and not make a shift on cruise control. Trans temps were in the 160-185f range. (Depending on outside ambient temps). New truck with Aisin... totally different animal... can’t wait to tow with this thing!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Dodge 2500 6 inch suspension lift 4 inch body lift sitting on 41's DPF delete Straight pipe turbo back twin stacks road armour front and rear bumpers mini max tuner...tuned by DOUBLE R DIESEL

8. Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yes i had a 09 very similar setup to what you had, towing with it was exactly as you explained. I was on 38s with an 8 inch lift. I ended up doing a gear reduction on it as i HATED how it launched under load, 4.88 i think i went to.
    I have the 19 dually with aisin, same as you now. Its an animal under huge load, I lifted 3.5 inches and on fat 35s, happy with this setup (4.10 Gears). 26k behind the truck last week, it feels it, but doesnt feel overloaded at all which is what is amazing with these new trucks. Hope your enjoying your 19!

10. Thanks MRMAYHEM thanked for this post
    Likes InlineSix.7, MRMAYHEM, watersupply189 liked this post