Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  49
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended oil by cummins

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Recommended oil by cummins

Had a feller on another site tell me once that every engine he used Rotella in wound up burnin it...

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

The new trucks come with synthetic oil from the factory. At least there was a consensus that this was accurate, although I'm not sure I have ever seen hard proof.

Use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. At least I do. As far as "actual Cummins recommendation".....

"Maintenance intervals have changed over the years on several items, however, the valve lash adjustment remains the same at 150,000 miles (240,000 km) and the fuel filter replacement remains at 15,000 miles (24,000 km). The oil change interval is 15,000 miles (24,000 km) and is duty cycle based. This engine uses an oil change monitoring system which will display a message on the vehicle information center that alerts the driver to change the oil.Don't forget that your new Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel engine requires low-ash engine oil; failure to use this type of oil can result in serious damage to the exhaust aftertreatment system in your vehicle. Be sure to purchase engine oil that meets CES 20081 standards."

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
    Had a feller on another site tell me once that every engine he used Rotella in wound up burnin it...
    I would steer clear of that site.

Nothing worse than a keyboard master tech, stick to somewhere where people are actually trained and certified and know what the hell there talking about.

2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

6. Thanks watersupply189, BlackBart thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    The new trucks come with synthetic oil from the factory. At least there was a consensus that this was accurate, although I'm not sure I have ever seen hard proof.

Use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. At least I do. As far as "actual Cummins recommendation".....

"Maintenance intervals have changed over the years on several items, however, the valve lash adjustment remains the same at 150,000 miles (240,000 km) and the fuel filter replacement remains at 15,000 miles (24,000 km). The oil change interval is 15,000 miles (24,000 km) and is duty cycle based. This engine uses an oil change monitoring system which will display a message on the vehicle information center that alerts the driver to change the oil.Don't forget that your new Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel engine requires low-ash engine oil; failure to use this type of oil can result in serious damage to the exhaust aftertreatment system in your vehicle. Be sure to purchase engine oil that meets CES 20081 standards."
    Factory fill is Valvoline Premium Extreme 5w-40 synthetic

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Recommended oil by cummins

Quote Originally Posted by Spikepuller View Post
    Coming up on first oil change, does anybody know what oil Cummins recommends?

I'm not interested in personal preference or opinion.

Just what brand and weight Cummins recommend.

Thanks
    2014-RAM Diesel Supplement pages 290 - 292.pdf

Oops......this is Chrysler recommend oil not Cummins sorry about that.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, OLEJOE liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    Cummins recommends Valvoline and Mopar recommends Rotella. Both say full synthetic recommended. I use Rotella T6 15-40. A record temp for us is 20 degrees. Incidentally Mopar is the 1 who provides the warranty for our trucks. So........
    That’s all I use also, tried running 5-40 and my valve train was noisy. Went back to 15/40 and all pretty quiet again. Have to use block heater in winter when it gets down to 0*. It will start it at that temp, but why strain things when it’s easy to plug in and not worry bout temp. LOL. My truck is an 11 with 141,000 miles all stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes Mdavlee, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MC250r719 View Post
    Factory fill is Valvoline Premium Extreme 5w-40 synthetic
    OK that is what I thought.

Might as well stay synthetic in my opinion.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I’ve delivered hundreds of engines during my 25+ years of LTL freight hauling and never had an engine shipped with oil in it. Cummins recommends and endorses Valvoline but Cummins is not the provider of our warranty. Mopar recommends Rotella and synthetic. 5W40 below 0 and 15w40 above 0. But if you are deleted, it doesn’t matter as you don’t have one.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    I’ve delivered hundreds of engines during my 25+ years of LTL freight hauling and never had an engine shipped with oil in it. Cummins recommends and endorses Valvoline but Cummins is not the provider of our warranty. Mopar recommends Rotella and synthetic. 5W40 below 0 and 15w40 above 0. But if you are deleted, it doesn’t matter as you don’t have one.
    All the engines FCA uses are shipped with oil in them. They come that way from the engine plants and ship to the assembly plants for quality assurance. At least that’s how it was for all of the FCA plants I worked at.

Can’t say 100% for the Saltillo truck plant because I never physically went there but for all the plants in the U.S. the engines were shipped with oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I doesn't matter as long as you use anything that meets recommended specs:

Attached Files Attached Files

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

20. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, OLEJOE, AK Bob, Mdavlee liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast