Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  62
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Heeded!

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Sounds like the single bond being referred to would be: run a seperate ground conductor either to the frame or body or both. Even come right off the battery with a length of #8 or #6 high strand count wire. Bypassing the factory jumped. Sometimes those bonding straps will actually oxidize on the inside. I don't recall if they are copper clad or solid copper, clad is no good. Regardless, testing with a bypass jumper will give you an idea.

Low RPM sounds suspicious though. Either there is a high high resistance that is over come by the higher RPM or the alternator just isn't putting out what it should be at the lower RPM which should be carried by the batteries. Did you replace both batteries or just one?

I chased similar gremlins and understand the frustration.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

What year truck is this?
    Yes CMB is right. Your goal is to create a complete and new ground system ( batteries, engine, body and frame) then attach it to something important that isn't working right.

I would begin with a 10 gauge wire, connect it to both battery grounds, engine, frame, and body. You could run it to the factory locations on the engine, frame, body or make your own. Just be sure the connections are very clean-grind off paint/grease/oil.

Test - if problem persists...

next identify one critical vehicle system which gives you a code and prevents truck from running correctly. I believe you mentioned the ?throttle pedal sensor? Check the wiring diagram and find the 1 or 2 wires that are grounded and in the pigtail that plugs into the pedal. Connect those ground wires(don't cut but splice-and don't use those crappy plastic splice connectors) soldier them to the new 10 gauge ground you just installed between the battery/engine/frame/body.

Test

Its a big pain in the a$$, but your problem sounds more and more like a failed ground. It also could be a break in a ground wire in your wiring harness(look for a pinched harness -engine or body, maybe under the dash). The radio thing I've seen before on another poorly grounded vehicle. Modern cars with lots of computers do really strange things when the grounds fail.

Before you go to all this trouble, I would make 100% sure both batteries are good - load test?

Good luck, hope it helps you, I was super frustrated on the car that did this to me, please let us know when you find the problem.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

Quote Originally Posted by rmarchjr View Post
    Yes CMB is right. Your goal is to create a complete and new ground system ( batteries, engine, body and frame) then attach it to something important that isn't working right.

I would begin with a 10 gauge wire, connect it to both battery grounds, engine, frame, and body. You could run it to the factory locations on the engine, frame, body or make your own. Just be sure the connections are very clean-grind off paint/grease/oil.

Test - if problem persists...

next identify one critical vehicle system which gives you a code and prevents truck from running correctly. I believe you mentioned the ?throttle pedal sensor? Check the wiring diagram and find the 1 or 2 wires that are grounded and in the pigtail that plugs into the pedal. Connect those ground wires(don't cut but splice-and don't use those crappy plastic splice connectors) soldier them to the new 10 gauge ground you just installed between the battery/engine/frame/body.

Test

Its a big pain in the a$$, but your problem sounds more and more like a failed ground. It also could be a break in a ground wire in your wiring harness(look for a pinched harness -engine or body, maybe under the dash). The radio thing I've seen before on another poorly grounded vehicle. Modern cars with lots of computers do really strange things when the grounds fail.

Before you go to all this trouble, I would make 100% sure both batteries are good - load test?

Good luck, hope it helps you, I was super frustrated on the car that did this to me, please let us know when you find the problem.
    Thank you.
    I will work on that. The batteries are both new about 3 months ago.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

Was this ever resolved?

I'm having the same issue.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123