Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CAT Fuel Filter?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: CAT Fuel Filter?

I'm not for anti sieze, have you ever seen any off that mess that got pulled into the fuel system and caught in the next filter?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

All things considered the threads are on the unfiltered side of the filter. The filtered fuel flows "up" through the center hole. Im sure I'll get flamed for this but, This is why some don't prefill the filter because that it's putting unfiltered fuel on the "clean side" of the filter. Anti- seize might not be a bad idea. Something to think about.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I personally like the idea of a FASS. Puts em both in one nice easy to git to place.

6. Likes watersupply189, Mdavlee liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    All things considered the threads are on the unfiltered side of the filter. The filtered fuel flows "up" through the center hole. Im sure I'll get flamed for this but, This is why some don't prefill the filter because that it's putting unfiltered fuel on the "clean side" of the filter. Anti- seize might not be a bad idea. Something to think about.
    You’re absolutely correct about the flow of the fuel through the filter from outside to inside.

The instructions also specifically show on the side of the filter itself to NOT pre-fill it.

We’re talking microns here so pre-filling it runs a big risk of running contaminants through a 25,000 PSI fuel system.

The only thing that would be flamed would be your injectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

8. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mirth3500 View Post
    Black Market Performance on my 2015 Mega Cab.

Love it.

Attachment 9277

Attachment 9278
    x2

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

10. Thanks Mirth3500 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

What's wrong with the stock 2 filter setup? It is not efficient enough? Haven't had to do fuel filters yet on our 18 just curious. Thanks.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    What's wrong with the stock 2 filter setup? It is not efficient enough? Haven't had to do fuel filters yet on our 18 just curious. Thanks.
    I have a 2012 with only 1 filter from the factory so can't comment directly regarding your newer truck, but as I understand it, the CAT filter is able to filter the fuel to a much greater extent. Factory fuel filter at 7 microns and CAT filter at 2 microns. Here's some information about the filters:

http://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I think factory filter calls for 3 microns.

The front filter or the one at the engine is supposed to be 3 microns and the one under the bed 6 microns.

I could be completely wrong about that but Mopar calls for 3 microns or less.

The Fleetguard says it’s 2 microns.

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

When I owned a big truck, carrying spare cat filters was a necessity.

They work...they work very well.

You might find yourself on the side of the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deo Vindice

18. Likes InlineSix.7, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

According to WIX the newer trucks with two filters the spin on is 6 micron and the cartridge filter is 2 micron.

Haven't changed mine yet, I think the OM calls for the first change around 20K or if your light comes on.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast