Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: What about DPFs?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question What about DPFs?

Can someone tell me if the 6.7 has a DPF and if so what the owner/operator requirements are? Does it require purging/cleaning after so many hours? Does it have to go to the shop for this or can it be done anywhere?(eg, side of the road?). The DPF has me worried about owning a bigger diesel.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: What about DPFs?

As far as I understand all new diesels manufactured and designed for on highway use are equipped with a DPF along with various other emission control systems. The DPF does not require any user maintenance aside from ensuring the DEF fluid level is maintained. The filter “Regens” or self cleans if you will as you drive the truck. It does this by burning off the soot buildup with the hot exhaust gasses that already pass through it. If the vehicle is extensively idled for long periods of time without highway use the DPF can accumulate an excessive amount of soot. At this point the vehicle will need to go into Regen mode. It does this one of two ways, first and easiest is you drive the vehicle at highway speeds for I believe approximately 20 miles but don’t quote me on that it could be longer. This will get the exhaust gas temperature up to the level that is required to burn off the soot and it’s cleaned. If you don’t do this and continue to idle the vehicle, it will eventually go into limp mode forcing you to do the second method. This is far less common however. This method requires you to high idle the vehicle until the filter has been cleaned. That’s essentially all there is to it. Just know DPF’s eventually do lose their filtration capabilities like all filters and will need to be replaced. Some truck shops offer in depth cleaning services but from my understanding they are expensive and hard to find. Eventually the DPF filter will need to be replaced or deleted.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply that was very helpful.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Me thinks one reason for the bigger engine in the first place was to make up for the power and fuel economy losses that would come from the pollution control junk.

8. Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7, Power247 liked this post