Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Bd flex plate install with or with out shim and ring.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Bd flex plate install with or with out shim and ring.

Just got done building my trans. All Revmax components with a billet Revmax converter. I’m going to be using a bd flex plate that I have laying around the shop. The instructions that came with the flex plate say to reinstall shim and the clamping ring. Every other billet flex plate I’ve installed says to toss the ring and shim or pump/ converter damage will occur. I can’t see why the bd flex plate would need the clamping ring since it’s a stronger material. Any one have any experience with this thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Bd flex plate install with or with out shim and ring.

I’d measure the thickness of the stock flex plate and the ring/shim combined. Then the thickness of the billet flex plate by itself. If the billet flex plate is the same thickness as stock + shim + ring then I’d say that would be your answer. Definitely don’t want to be putting anything in a bind as that could screw up the transmission pump and thrust bearing in the engine.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

4. Thanks Chrisn162001 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Bd flex plate install with or with out shim and ring.

The bd flex plate is definitely thicker than factory I didn’t measure by how much or vs stock with shim and clamp ring. I like the idea of the clamp ring but I figure it’s really not needed with the heavier duty flex plates.

I’m going to reach out to RevMax tomorrow and see how much space they want between converter face and flex plate and go from there.

6. Likes InlineSix.7, Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Update - just buy flex plates from the same place you buy your converter. I ended up not using the shim. Installed it, then noticed my torque converter won’t turn independently from the flex plate. Took the trans back out verified converter installed all the way. I have a flex plate being over nighted from RevMax.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    Update - just buy flex plates from the same place you buy your converter. I ended up not using the shim. Installed it, then noticed my torque converter won’t turn independently from the flex plate. Took the trans back out verified converter installed all the way. I have a flex plate being over nighted from RevMax.

Glad you got it figured out but sorry you have to buy another flexplate.

At least you caught it before you cranked it up!

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

10. Likes watersupply189, Chrisn162001 liked this post