Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After 200 miles my 18 3500 6.7 Limited in shop!!!

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: After 200 miles my 18 3500 6.7 Limited in shop!!!

Very interesting stuff here.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    So I thought about this all night AND wasn't going to respond but this sounds a little off to me so I'll just be straight with ya.

Even after 200 miles it is highly unlikely that you REALLLLY did that much damage. If it really got hot enough to change the temper of the iron your brake lines would have melted. Im assuming this didn't happen because you still had brakes. At most it melted the seals out of the caliper, so you need a caliper. Did it melt the axle seal? Did all the dif fluid run out? Driving with out dif fluid would be the only reason you would need a rebuild.

At most you need a caliper and axle seals.

So-

Ask them for an exact bill of material reflecting the damaged parts.

Ask them how much differential fluid you lost

Look at the master cylinder/ brake fluid res - if it's full then chances are they are fully taking advantage of you.

Please keep us posted and remember, you can always call FCA warranty to inquire about what's being reported by the dealership (sealership).

Cheers,

CMB
    Yes I will.

Total miles driven like that are 350.

I never noticed anything wrong with brakes but fluid was dripping the entire wheel was black.

I am going there next week to get all the info before they work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Good deal!

Just to be clear, that was either brake fluid or differential fluid. Giving them the benefit of the doubt and its dif fluid that was leaking, you are looking at replacing the ring and pinion, possibly the carrier (loaded) and of course the axle seals, pinion seals and bearings.

Im sure your in good hands considering it's under warranty. It would just be nice to know exactly what they are replacing. Generalizations like "the entire unit" wouldn't cut it for me.

On a side note, gear oil (dif fluid) has a VERY distinct smell. It will be completely obvious what fluid it is. Once you get a wif of that stuff you never forget the smell.

Last edited by CMB; 10-14-2019 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Phone, please Spell correctly
    2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

6. Thanks watersupply189, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, LudjakR1, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I'm not surprised.

Our 2018 lost the clutch hydraulics at 5000 miles, and they replaced EVERYTHING.

Flywheel, clutch, throw-out, fork, hydraulics.

They never where able to explain to me how the slave cyl failing would take out the entire clutch system.

Also was never able to see the failed parts.

Just hit 10K miles, probably due for another clutch!

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

So my truck is still in the shop.

In two days it will be over 30 days!!!

No call from dealer or anything.

I have the right to excercis lemon law.

Correct?

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    So I thought about this all night AND wasn't going to respond but this sounds a little off to me so I'll just be straight with ya.

Even after 200 miles it is highly unlikely that you REALLLLY did that much damage. If it really got hot enough to change the temper of the iron your brake lines would have melted. Im assuming this didn't happen because you still had brakes. At most it melted the seals out of the caliper, so you need a caliper. Did it melt the axle seal? Did all the dif fluid run out? Driving with out dif fluid would be the only reason you would need a rebuild.

At most you need a caliper and axle seals.

So-

Ask them for an exact bill of material reflecting the damaged parts.

Ask them how much differential fluid you lost

Look at the master cylinder/ brake fluid res - if it's full then chances are they are fully taking advantage of you.

Please keep us posted and remember, you can always call FCA warranty to inquire about what's being reported by the dealership (sealership).

Cheers,

CMB
    I have to agree. The only reason I can see for the housing to be replaced is if the hub spun a wheel bearing. Actually, if it got as hot as being described, it would have caught fire. Once the oil gets going it can get sticky. That sucker would have been glowing, burning rims and maybe tires. He would have smelled it.

Quote Originally Posted by LudjakR1 View Post

Correct?

Not sure what state you're in, but here in sunny New Jorsey, it has to go to the dealer 3 times for the same issue before you can execute the lemon law

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I have to agree. The only reason I can see for the housing to be replaced is if the hub spun a wheel bearing. Actually, if it got as hot as being described, it would have caught fire. Once the oil gets going it can get sticky. That sucker would have been glowing, burning rims and maybe tires. He would have smelled it.

Not sure what state you're in, but here in sunny New Jorsey, it has to go to the dealer 3 times for the same issue before you can execute the lemon law
    I looked into it a little bit.

Says over 30 days as well.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18
    Permanent Vacation GrowingSouthFarms's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LudjakR1 View Post

Correct?

Lemon laws vary by state so it depends where you are.

I would look up your states laws and see if you qualify.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12