Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 200 miles my 18 3500 6.7 Limited in shop!!!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

After 200 miles my 18 3500 6.7 Limited in shop!!!

So I recently traded my 16 2500 Big horn 6.7 with 270k for a 18 3500 limited left over. I took it on a 300 mile trip and found out my right rear wheel caliper was smoking a little bit and I could tell was not releasing the brake pad all the way.

Took it to the dealer found out today that it melted the entire assembly hub in the rear and pretty much needs the entire rear end. They said roughly 5k just in parts which warranty will cover. However the issue is most of the parts they cannot locate as everything has to be ordered seperate. They do not have an ETA on my truck. I am really surprised that parts such as those are not available.

They did put me in a rental 2500 Cummins since I tow alot.

Should I be concerned with this now ? It might take longer than a month or more

Will this truck ever be the same ? I don't have a good feeling about this. This happened same day I took it from there on the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: After 200 miles my 18 3500 6.7 Limited in shop!!!

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just order the entire assembly and replace it. If it’s just the hub, bearing, seals, brake assembly-you’ll probably never even notice. Even if they replaced the axle shaft for some reason. If they were piecing together an entire rear end-I’d be a little concerned. I’m always having to tighten stuff up after mine are in the shop-which is rare to begin with. Good luck with your situation.

4. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by easttxram View Post
    I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just order the entire assembly and replace it. If it’s just the hub, bearing, seals, brake assembly-you’ll probably never even notice. Even if they replaced the axle shaft for some reason. If they were piecing together an entire rear end-I’d be a little concerned. I’m always having to tighten stuff up after mine are in the shop-which is rare to begin with. Good luck with your situation.

They said they cannot just order entire assembly and have to order piece by piece. Yeah I am nervouse as hell

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LudjakR1 View Post
    They said they cannot just order entire assembly and have to order piece by piece. Yeah I am nervouse as hell

Are you talking about the entire rear end assembly including the housing and all or just the hub assembly for that side?

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Are you talking about the entire rear end assembly including the housing and all or just the hub assembly for that side?

They said while driving the 200 miles the rear caliper melted the housing assembly so the car needs a new rear end everything.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I guess the shaft melted too

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Looks like you know alot more than me. I can get it clarified but it sounds like everything except tranny since it melted the hub assembly

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Bearing more than likely seized on the shaft. The last 11.5 rear axle I had to replace I had to get parts separately and build the axle. Honestly If you have a good tech building your axle it will more than likely come out better than a factory complete. I’ve seen back lash settings a lot looser and some times tighter than I prefer coming out of the factory in recent years.

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes InlineSix.7, watersupply189, Mdavlee liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    Bearing more than likely seized on the shaft. The last 11.5 rear axle I had to replace I had to get parts separately and build the axle. Honestly If you have a good tech building your axle it will more than likely come out better than a factory complete. I’ve seen back lash settings a lot looser and some times tighter than I prefer coming out of the factory in recent years.

Yes.

That makes me feel little better now.

Let's hope this tech is good.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

So I thought about this all night AND wasn't going to respond but this sounds a little off to me so I'll just be straight with ya.

Even after 200 miles it is highly unlikely that you REALLLLY did that much damage. If it really got hot enough to change the temper of the iron your brake lines would have melted. Im assuming this didn't happen because you still had brakes. At most it melted the seals out of the caliper, so you need a caliper. Did it melt the axle seal? Did all the dif fluid run out? Driving with out dif fluid would be the only reason you would need a rebuild.

At most you need a caliper and axle seals.

So-

Ask them for an exact bill of material reflecting the damaged parts.

Ask them how much differential fluid you lost

Look at the master cylinder/ brake fluid res - if it's full then chances are they are fully taking advantage of you.

Please keep us posted and remember, you can always call FCA warranty to inquire about what's being reported by the dealership (sealership).

Cheers,

CMB

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

20. Thanks watersupply189, Mariner thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247, Mariner liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast