Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS module help

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

ABS module help

Okay y'all, so my abs and check 4wd light has been on for a few weeks now. I replaced my hub assemblies because it was time anyway and still couldn't get a reading out of the left front.

Sooooooo, long story short, chased the wire to the control module. Popped that joker open and this is where my headache begins. It was corroded, and wouldn't you know it, a pin literally disintegrated before my eyes on the module. To the LF wheel speed sensor. ?

So I call the local dealer and it's $264 for the module, which will then need to be programmed. Guy made it a solid point without question to let me know they absolutely will not touch a non emissions compliant vehicle with their computers. I'm not reemissioning my truck for any one while living with all this freedom around me.

What exactly does the module want programmed into it? I know plenty of buddies that have the super fancy snap on computers. Just don't know what this module will need to properly work minus my Vin and tire revolutions?

Can anyone help me out? Apparently central Florida is jealous of California and want to adopt their policies.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: ABS module help

It just needs an abs initialization. Any good snap on scan tool can complete it. Also find another dealer. A deleted vehicle will cause no issue with there scan tool. They are just being difficult I am also a Chrysler tech.

2015 RAM 3500 4X4, DRD MM3 FULL OPTIONS PACKAGE WITH RACE PIPE AND EGR DELETE, 20X12 RBP WHEELS WITH 35-12.5-20 TIRES

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

So apparently my factory ABS module is outdated?

I found Part Number: 68066406AA.
    Which supposedly supercedes my 55366224AR and is half the price. I'm basically sold on the half price thing, just so turns out it'll ship out of Bartow, FL too. So hopefully my Christmas tree dash will be fixed soon!

Plus, it turns out our mechanic's snap on tool here at work has the option to run the intialization on the abs system.

Feeling pretty good about this now.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lifehiker View Post
    So apparently my factory ABS module is outdated?

I found Part Number: 68066406AA.
    Which supposedly supercedes my 55366224AR and is half the price. I'm basically sold on the half price thing, just so turns out it'll ship out of Bartow, FL too. So hopefully my Christmas tree dash will be fixed soon!

Plus, it turns out our mechanic's snap on tool here at work has the option to run the intialization on the abs system.

Feeling pretty good about this now.
    You must be pretty close to me... I live in Bartow! Dealer just put a brand new module in my truck for a separate reason LOL; that’s crazy to know it cost them that much!

8. Likes Lifehiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    You must be pretty close to me... I live in Bartow! Dealer just put a brand new module in my truck for a separate reason LOL; that’s crazy to know it cost them that much!
    Not too far. I'm in Ocala. Yeah, I don't mind the price more than I do the local dealer's tude. LOL. Does slightly hit the ol head studs stash, but I'm tired of seeing the lights on my dash. I'm on a Google marathon right now to make sure that new part number is exactly what it is. Fingers crossed LOL

10. Likes Mariner, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Not too far. I'm in Ocala. Yeah, I don't mind the price more than I do the local dealer's tude. LOL. Does slightly hit the ol head studs stash, but I'm tired of seeing the lights on my dash. I'm on a Google marathon right now to make sure that new part number is exactly what it is. Fingers crossed LOL
    I used to ride the Ocala sand trails when I had my Raptor and my 4Runner.. so much fun. But oh I hear ya. I bypass the dealership 2 minutes down the road and drive 30 minutes to the other side of Lakeland to use them because of the way I'm treated there. The part number they installed in mine is a bit different, but mine is a 2018 so they probably don't use the same part. Good luck man!

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Alrighty y'all,

So I got my abs module put in today, ran the intialization through the scan tool;
    Lock to lock, center steering wheel, 5-15 mph ride and a hard 90 degree turn.

Well, my abs light is now flashing and beeping at me and I have zero codes in my computer. Nothing pending, etc.

I ran tests to see if the module would run the pump, did so without question.

Am I doing something wrong? It mated, and seems to have taken to my Vin and all that good stuff; I just can't get rid of the light or the god awful beep I have now.

Any help would be definitely appreciated! I currently have it sitting with both batteries disconnected to hopefully kick start something when all sensors get power at once. But I don't know what else to try with it beyond that. Does it just need to be in a certain condition to pick up all the different signals to work, hard brake and wheel snatch like I used to do with powerstrokes to get the module to come to life?

2011 CCSB 2500 Laramie Longhorn, Banks elbow/grid heater delete, 5" ReadyLift, Fox 2.0 resv shocks, 20x12 SOTA AWOLs, 35x12.5 Cooper's, Sinister delete and intake, DV8 winch front bumper, 5" TBE no muffler 8" tip axle dump, MM3 with DRD tunes

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well, connected the batteries, light is still there. Went through steps my snap on told me again. Did some high-speed brakeless turning. Took it on the road and put 225lbs on the brake to the floor and my abs is functioning, I had to truly make lock up even on gravel. So it's functioning fine, just flashes and beeps at me with zero codes.

Only one I had coming on was the P2509, my batteries are just fine after checking them, nothing is popping out issue wise to me. There's no CEL on for it. I'm guess it's stored because of the alternator going fritz on me. I'm going to just drive it a bit and be a little hard in it and see if I can get it to go off.

2011 CCSB 2500 Laramie Longhorn, Banks elbow/grid heater delete, 5" ReadyLift, Fox 2.0 resv shocks, 20x12 SOTA AWOLs, 35x12.5 Cooper's, Sinister delete and intake, DV8 winch front bumper, 5" TBE no muffler 8" tip axle dump, MM3 with DRD tunes

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Well, connected the batteries, light is still there. Went through steps my snap on told me again. Did some high-speed brakeless turning. Took it on the road and put 225lbs on the brake to the floor and my abs is functioning, I had to truly make lock up even on gravel. So it's functioning fine, just flashes and beeps at me with zero codes.

Only one I had coming on was the P2509, my batteries are just fine after checking them, nothing is popping out issue wise to me. There's no CEL on for it. I'm guess it's stored because of the alternator going fritz on me. I'm going to just drive it a bit and be a little hard in it and see if I can get it to go off.
    Just going out on a limb here, is it possible the ABS module caused your alternator fire?

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MC250r719 View Post
    Just going out on a limb here, is it possible the ABS module caused your alternator fire?
    I wouldn't think so. After looking at the alternator it looked moreso like a diode or something went bad and instead of charging the batteries attempted to suck every bit of voltage out of them and caused the fire. The lower rear portion of the case was black and it completely melted the black plastic portion of the alternator.

The abs module itself wasn't actually bad, it was, but it was a broken pin in the connector that caused the issue. The pin was to my left front abs sensor, that's why after replacing my hub assembly it still haunted me and I finally chased the problem down. Sadly, the OEM original ABS module is apparently outdated and there's a new part number for the same part which I'm happy to admit is a fraction of the cost.

I've programmed my tire size and ring and pinion into this new module via the snap on computer, yet even though the truck seems happy with the new module, my abs light and annoying chime doesn't seem to be a fan even after attempting the relearn about eight times now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast