Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Blue Ox Sway Pro

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Blue Ox Sway Pro

Public service announcement - For anyone in the market for a weight distributing hitch that works well on a camper I can highly recommend the Blue Ox Sway Pro. I ran an Anderson No Sway W/D hitch for a couple of years and just wasn't happy with the hitch, no matter how I had it adjusted. While they advertised it to be good up to a 14k trailer it never felt like it could effectively transfer weight or controlled sway (sway being the biggest problem). Windy days and passing big rigs would result in serious butt pucker on the highway. About a month ago I bit the bullet and bought the Blue Ox on a recommendation from a buddy with a larger camper than mine. A couple weeks ago we took the camper from Raleigh up into the mountains in Cherokee (about 250 miles each way) and I was extremely impressed. I was able to get the truck almost dead level when loaded and the camper was within 1" of level from front to back when hitched. The truck rode a whole heck of a lot smoother, the camper experienced much less sway, and it felt like it transferred a weight to the front axle. The real test was that for the most part I was able to drive 65 mph with 1 hand on the wheel and drink coffee without being worried. The rotating chain tensioners are very easy to use as well. Here's a few pictures of the 2 different hitches; the Blue Ox has the long bars and the Anderson the chains and aluminum hitch head. Camper is 30' and about 8K loaded.

IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1944.jpg

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Blue Ox Sway Pro

Quote Originally Posted by InlineSix.7 View Post
    Public service announcement - For anyone in the market for a weight distributing hitch that works well on a camper I can highly recommend the Blue Ox Sway Pro. I ran an Anderson No Sway W/D hitch for a couple of years and just wasn't happy with the hitch, no matter how I had it adjusted. While they advertised it to be good up to a 14k trailer it never felt like it could effectively transfer weight or controlled sway (sway being the biggest problem). Windy days and passing big rigs would result in serious butt pucker on the highway. About a month ago I bit the bullet and bought the Blue Ox on a recommendation from a buddy with a larger camper than mine. A couple weeks ago we took the camper from Raleigh up into the mountains in Cherokee (about 250 miles each way) and I was extremely impressed. I was able to get the truck almost dead level when loaded and the camper was within 1" of level from front to back when hitched. The truck rode a whole heck of a lot smoother, the camper experienced much less sway, and it felt like it transferred a weight to the front axle. The real test was that for the most part I was able to drive 65 mph with 1 hand on the wheel and drink coffee without being worried. The rotating chain tensioners are very easy to use as well. Here's a few pictures of the 2 different hitches; the Blue Ox has the long bars and the Anderson the chains and aluminum hitch head. Camper is 30' and about 8K loaded.

IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1944.jpg
    Nice setup!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

3. Thanks InlineSix.7, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Blue Ox Sway Pro

Nice write up!
    Good to know for in the future
    The pics were a great reference too, definitely can see the difference between the 2 set ups, the Blue Ox has a much better and clean set up for sure
    Thanks !!!!!

2014 CUMMINS "BADGIRL" Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4 MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel *** EGR delete AFE CAI 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler 4" Zone lift, Federal Couragia 37’s with Black Rhinos,bed carpet kit, tail-gate assist, Retrax tunnau cover

Previous "Cummins Badgirls" :
    2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

5. Likes watersupply189 liked this post