Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Service Electronic Braking System”

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

“Service Electronic Braking System”

Well I got it about 3 days ago, “Service Electronic Braking System” on the heads up display, as well as the illumination of the ABS light and traction light. It happens when I start the truck, go fast, slow, hit bumps, go in reverse, sometimes it’ll stay on, sometimes it’ll flicker, and some days it wont come on at all!

A quick web search pulled up about a billion links for it, surprisingly none on this forum though, hence why I’m posting this in case others here are searching for it.

This morning on my way to the dealer, I was also receiving the “Service Anti-lock Braking System.” I tried cruise control while it was all in alarm... no beans.

So this is very common for our trucks. In fact I saw 1500s with the issues, Jeeps, Chrysler’s, etc. so it’s a wide spectrum issue.

First thing my dealer does for a service is plug into the computer and I can’t remember the exact code but I had a stored ABS alarm. I’ll update this thread when I get my truck back, but here it is! Another owner with the ABS alarms.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Rocker thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: “Service Electronic Braking System”

Quick update after a call from Dodge.. dealership had to order me a new ABS module as well as a new brake controller.

Seems to be right along with the forum reports, but most guys say their dealer just reflashes the module and that seems to fix it.

My dealer seems to want to go more to the root of the issue, so hopefully the few days it’ll be at the dealership will be worth it!

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

My mistake on the earlier post, I must have misunderstood the adviser on the phone.

Just picked up the truck!

They must have sent the part by helicopter from Orlando to get there in time LOL because I’ve never had them “order a part” before and had it come in same day!

Anyways, actual fix for the truck was to replace the ABS module and control unit, and it’s good as new!

For now... so if this comes up for anybody else, take it right to the dealership and they’ll fix you up.

6. Thanks watersupply189, Power247, Skywrench thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Hello Mariner,

I have a 2013 Didge RAM 1500 4x4 Bighorn .

I have had this Service Electronic Braking come up on my dashboard several times starting a couple months ago and know coming up at least 5 to 10 times a day.

Did dealership repair your issue and did your Warranty cover it or pay out of pocket?

8. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Old thread but I get to throw my name into this hat as well.

I have an appointment with the dealer in IL next Friday.

I shipped my 2018 3500 from Hawaii to Tacoma and picked it up on the 2nd of June. Drove all the way to IL with mostly no issues. While we were in the Black Hills the "Service ABS" and "Service Electronic Braking System" warning start to chime a bit but went away and didn't come back on until IL. Truck has 17,000 miles on it and 2,100 of those miles were put on in the last 7 days. My motorcycle is still in the middle of the Pacific Ocean so I can't even ride that in the meantime

Some of yall followed my posts when I was replacing my interior because of faulty equipment that had since been replaced with a new part # and my entire interior was soaked. Have updated parts with the ABS and HCU been created since 2017-2018? Anybody know if there is currently a shortage on them? Dealer said just about everything that has a chip of some sort is on backorder for a long time.

10. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

“Service Electronic Braking System”

Quote Originally Posted by Mortifera View Post
    Old thread but I get to throw my name into this hat as well...

I have an appointment with the dealer in IL next Friday.

I shipped my 2018 3500 from Hawaii to Tacoma and picked it up on the 2nd of June. Drove all the way to IL with mostly no issues. While we were in the Black Hills the "Service ABS" and "Service Electronic Braking System" warning start to chime a bit but went away and didn't come back on until IL. Truck has 17,000 miles on it and 2,100 of those miles were put on in the last 7 days. My motorcycle is still in the middle of the Pacific Ocean so I can't even ride that in the meantime

Some of yall followed my posts when I was replacing my interior because of faulty equipment that had since been replaced with a new part # and my entire interior was soaked. Have updated parts with the ABS and HCU been created since 2017-2018? Anybody know if there is currently a shortage on them? Dealer said just about everything that has a chip of some sort is on backorder for a long time.
    2018 trucks seem to be the worst year for hcu’s.

In 2019 I was replacing at least 3 a week most under 30k miles.

They aren’t back ordered I still replace a few a month. still the same part number and not updated from what I see.

Replaced mine a few weeks ago for the second time first one at at 32k second one at 80k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Thanks AK Bob, Mortifera thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thank you for the reply!

I’ll have to see what they say.

I’m glad they aren’t on back order if that is what is wrong with it.

It was getting a little aggravated that this seemed to be a lemon of a truck.

I’ve spent a lot of time replacing inoperative failed parts.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Out of warranty by about a year.

It’s getting replaced next Monday.

16. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Hey, guys figured I'd chime in here as well.

My truck started throwing the same message the other day when my wife was driving it.

Mine is a 2018 2500 4x4 42,000 miles.

I pulled the codes and what I found was.

C0020 pump motor control electrical failure
    U0002 C buss off performance
    U0126 Steering angle sensor loss of comm.

This warning comes and goes.

I can get it to throw the waring sometimes in the driveway in park, no brakes applied, just turning the steering wheel.

My question is @Chrisn162001 will a bad HCU throw these other codes, or could I also have a steering angle sensor issue.

All the function buttons in the wheel work as expected.

Also, looking for the HCU on the internet Mopar online parts says that 68143491AB has superseded the HCU 68143491AA I noticed above where you stated there was no update as far as you were aware.

I am just wondering if this is the correct part.

Any advice will be helpful.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal Laramie Sport 4x4 CCSB
    Thuren 2.75 front with Fox RR/ 1.0 rear with .75 spacer and King 2.0/ Thuren frt/Rear track bars
    American Racing ATX AX202 18x9 5"bs 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    ARE Camper Top

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I just checked my receipts and the part numbers reflect the AA version.

I REALLY hope it doesn’t crap out again.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast