Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  74
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CAT Fuel Filter and Stock filter delete questions

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: CAT Fuel Filter and Stock filter delete questions

I looked into it but didn't see a good reason to do this filter setup on my 2013.

If you do the full swap, deleting the front and adding the dual filter setup to the rear the up front cost is $300 for the dieselfuelfilterkits setup.

You’ll be saving $30 per change so after 10 changes, probably 10 years for the average owner, you’re breaking even.

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mseitz24 View Post
    I looked into it but didn't see a good reason to do this filter setup on my 2013. If you do the full swap, deleting the front and adding the dual filter setup to the rear the up front cost is $300 for the dieselfuelfilterkits setup. You’ll be saving $30 per change so after 10 changes, probably 10 years for the average owner, you’re breaking even.
    It’s not all about saving money on fuel filters, how about saving your injectors.

Stock filters are around 3-5 micron, the CAT filters are 2 micron.

I’d rather have the peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MC250r719 View Post
    It’s not all about saving money on fuel filters, how about saving your injectors.

Stock filters are around 3-5 micron, the CAT filters are 2 micron.

I’d rather have the peace of mind.

Where is your information coming from?

According to this chart from the fleetguard website the cat filter uses the same fleetguard, a Cummins company, nanonet filter media as the oem fs53000 filter.

22DB786F-9440-4130-87D0-531296A0F91C.jpg

6. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Where is your information coming from?

According to this chart from the fleetguard website the cat filter uses the same fleetguard, a Cummins company, nanonet filter media as the oem fs53000 filter.

22DB786F-9440-4130-87D0-531296A0F91C.jpg

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

The CAT filter is 2 microns at 98% efficiency. CAT also claims fuel system damage at 5+ microns.
    5947A267-360E-4434-B1D0-F5FE22651D3C.jpg

The fleetguard nanonet is 4 micron at 99.9%
    780C7B88-36B3-49E2-9A18-D39A0174576D.jpg

I’m not sure how 2 micron at 98% compares to 4 micron at 99.9 but considering <5 is Ok I’d consider it a wash at best. I do have to question CAT’s low micron numbers at only 98% when most others are claiming higher 3-4 microns but at 99%+, fleetguard/baldwin/donaldson. It seems like deceptive marketing.

Bottom line it doesn't seem like any significant increase in filtration for a large up front cost while losing your second water separator and wif sensor.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN, Hootie liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

I changed mine to cat filters because I wanted better fuel filtration and plus the fact that the cartridge filter up front, the housing canister lid nut on top was starting to crack and round the corners of the nut using the proper socket size.
    I dont k know where you get your filters at but I get fleetguard kit off Amazon and they are $99.00. I get Cat 2 micron fuel filter and water seperator $30.00 I change filter 2 times a year.
    By my calculations i paid for it 2 years, while getting better fuel filtration saving injectors and fuel pump. My last cummings i had to replace the first fuel pump at 80 000 covered under warranty, then again at 160,000 plus injectors, I asked mechanic who I helped do the work to cut down on cost , why this was happening, his words I needed better fuel filtration. I put on cat fuel system was at 300,000 and still going strong when I sold. Have 2016 Ram now.
    I think I have first hand knowledge of better fuel filtration means longer life on expensive parts.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

The $99 kit is both filters, i’m comparing the front oem filter $50 to the cat filter $20. The rear filter is irrelevant as it stays in place and could be swapped for whatever filter you want at any time.

Yes, the old trucks had well known fuel pump/filtration issues. That’s why these kits, fass systems and ultimately the oem fix came about. The new trucks come with a good system in place and i’ve yet to see actual data proving otherwise which is why I passed. Even on the dieselfuelfilterkits website their main selling point for this setup on the 13+ trucks is cost savings and ease of changes.

14. Thanks watersupply189, timshooter40 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

The CAT filter is 2 microns at 98% efficiency. CAT also claims fuel system damage at 5+ microns.

5947A267-360E-4434-B1D0-F5FE22651D3C.jpg

The fleetguard nanonet is 4 micron at 99.9%

780C7B88-36B3-49E2-9A18-D39A0174576D.jpg

I’m not sure how 2 micron at 98% compares to 4 micron at 99.9 but considering <5 is Ok I’d consider it a wash at best. I do have to question CAT’s low micron numbers at only 98% when most others are claiming higher 3-4 microns but at 99%+, fleetguard/baldwin/donaldson.

It seems like deceptive marketing.

Bottom line it doesn't seem like any significant increase in filtration for a large up front cost while losing your second water separator and wif sensor.
    Filter efficiency refers to a measurement of the filter’s retention efficiency.

The measurement is typically the number of particles retained by a filter, compared to the number of particles present in the fuel that will pass through the filter.

Example, a 7 micron fuel filter with 98.7% efficiency rating removes 98.7% of the particles at or above the 7 micron size.

I would still rather filter down to 2 micron for my own peace of mind.

16. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

I really feel like this is the debate that no one can definitively answer, do aftermarket filter kits work better than the 2013+ setups?

Its like I want the best filtration possible, but there are plenty of 200,000 mile plus 2013+ trucks with stock injectors, pumps, and filters which makes it hard (for me personally) to justify the entry fee of swapping to CAT/Donaldson/Fleetguard filter setups. I will not put that many miles on my truck and it will likely see under 20,000 a year given I also have a Grand Cherokee and a Trans Am.

So my curiosity, is there a study(ies) that can point to a deficient 2013+ stock system (other than filter cost)?

I know the 2012 and older trucks definitely need better filtration and I had a FASS on my old 2011 Ram 3500. At the end of the day, many do it because it makes them "feel" better about how their filter systems function. I just cant get there yet as I have other mods I want to get done first.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

Subscribing, for later use....

20. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast