Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Transfer case is bleeding!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transfer case is bleeding!

Good evening,
    I have an issue with the rear output shaft on my transfer case. It is a 2012 ram 2500. I just replaced the seal last weekend from it leaking a little bit. While I was in there i went ahead and changed the transfer case fluid as well. Now this thing is leaking profusely when I drive. Enough that when i parked the exhaust was smoking from all the oil. Once parked not a drop comes out. I checked the vent tube and I blew into it to check if it was blocked. It gurgled a bit but flowed freely. The yoke had no wear to it at all. Looked brand new. I'm at a loss why this thing is leaking again and worse at that.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transfer case is bleeding!

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    Good evening,
    I have an issue with the rear output shaft on my transfer case. It is a 2012 ram 2500. I just replaced the seal last weekend from it leaking a little bit. While I was in there i went ahead and changed the transfer case fluid as well. Now this thing is leaking profusely when I drive. Enough that when i parked the exhaust was smoking from all the oil. Once parked not a drop comes out. I checked the vent tube and I blew into it to check if it was blocked. It gurgled a bit but flowed freely. The yoke had no wear to it at all. Looked brand new. I'm at a loss why this thing is leaking again and worse at that.
    Maybe a faulty seal?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I replaced the seal last weekend. I'm gonna try again. Maybe I pinched it putting the drive shaft or somthing. Didnt know if anyone else had similar issues since I know this is a common problem for them to leak

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    I replaced the seal last weekend. I'm gonna try again. Maybe I pinched it putting the drive shaft or somthing. Didnt know if anyone else had similar issues since I know this is a common problem for them to leak
    Keep us informed what you find.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Well I replaced the seal again tonight. Noticed that it looked like it had slowed down and almost stopped leaking. Being an aircraft mechanic, i immediately assumed that it was out of fluid LOL. Checked the fluid level in the case after getting home and couldn't see any fluid so it scared me a bit. Luckaly that seal is only like a 20 min job. I cleaned it and greased it really well before installation and was super careful putting the yoke back in. Topped off the case and found that it had leaked about a quarter of a quart in about a week and a half. ( I drive about 88 miles a day to get to and from work). Hopefully this stops.

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Moses42ak liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Well it's been about a week and a few hundred miles of driving and not a drop out of it after replacing the seal again.

I put the drive shaft in like the seal was made of glass this time and put the truck in neutral to alight the rear on the diff instead of trying to align by rotating the spline.

Finally successful!

11. Thanks Power247, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes InlineSix.7, Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post