Thanks Thanks:  119
Likes Likes:  235
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Let's have some Fun WHY DID YOU GET THE TRUCK YOU ARE DRIVING TODAY?

1. Top Of Page | #51

User Info Menu

Re: Let's have some Fun WHY DID YOU GET THE TRUCK YOU ARE DRIVING TODAY?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt543 View Post
    Well when I was a kid my grandpa bought a 1999 3500 drw 2wd 5 speed Cummins and I loved that truck. I learned how to drive stick in that ole girl, so when I became finally able to buy one myself I went to a couple dealers and found a 09 ram 2500 auto in red (same color as his) so I bought it that day. Loved it for the first few years but as I drove it and broke the 68RFE, I regretted the auto. So when I heard the manual was going away I ran to the dealer and ordered a 2017 Laramie 3500 Drw G56 . And man I should have bought the G56 back in 09. Oh and now I own that ole red 99 too
    That’s cool you have your grandpa’s truck, has more sentimental value to it

"Cumminsbadgirl"
    2014 Laramie MC 3500 ( Aisin ) 4X4
    MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel

2014 CUMMINS "BADGIRL" Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4 MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel *** EGR delete AFE CAI 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler 4" Zone lift, Federal Couragia 37’s with Black Rhinos,bed carpet kit, tail-gate assist, Retrax tunnau cover

Previous "Cummins Badgirls" :
    2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

2. Thanks watersupply189, Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Polaraco liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #52

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post

I was driving a 2008 ½ ton Ram with the 4.7. Honestly it wwwwss a great truck, never a problem. Then I purchased a tandem axle trailer dumper and quickly found the limits of that truck it was paid off so I knew if I found the right truck I could upgrade. I stopped by the local dealership only one in 30 miles and yes, it's a Chrysler facility. There sat a 2012 3500 with 40k miles. The dielectric grease was still in the 7 pin plug. It still had the original factory tires. I was hooked. Took it for a test drive and had to maintain my poker face but I was blown away. They were asking just under 40k for it

The tires were a little worn and I knew about the potential front end problems with this model. So, through the negotiations I asked them to throw in 35" K02s and the 3" BDS coil over kit with adjustable track bar. THEY AGREED! Gave me 12k trade for the old 1500 and away i went.

Yuppers, you asked, and that's why and how I ended up with what should be my last truck. LOVE IT!
    Niiiiiice

"Cumminsbadgirl"

2014 CUMMINS "BADGIRL" Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4 MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel *** EGR delete AFE CAI 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler 4" Zone lift, Federal Couragia 37’s with Black Rhinos,bed carpet kit, tail-gate assist, Retrax tunnau cover

2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

4. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Polaraco liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #53

User Info Menu

Some great stories here. As for me, my logic was pretty simple. I don't want to park my truck in someone else's driveway while I borrow theirs because mine won't do the job. So it had to cover certain bases. Long bed (Slide in truck camper), Back seat (kids and now Grandkids), manual (I'm old school, no apologies), 4x4 (Michigan, ugh), and SRW (daily driving I don't care for the duals). Had several trucks over the years, I normal hold onto them for about 8 to 10 years at a time. Last one was the first Cummins, a '95 - 5.9, 5-speed, Quad cab (no back doors then), long bed. It served me well for 330k plus. Still in the family, my oldest boy insisted on buying it when I got my current.

I should note that first Cummins, not first diesel. Anyone remember the 80"s Ram 50? Yep, with the diesel. Completely worthless in terms of a truck. Plus a F250 (7.3 with banks sidewinder) and VW Passat TDI.

Current truck is a little bigger than the '95. Was able to get a '12 with the full crew cab, and all the other requirements as well. the 6.7 and G56 are hugely different than the raw feel of the 5.9 and NV4500. The full rear doors are so much better than the door-less quad cab. I'll likely have this one until after retirement. Not sure what we will do with ourselves at that point. If we decide to see the country and travel, then likely I will go to a dually. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Right now I refuse to think about since the manuals have gone away.

Until that point, this one will work just fine. I do find the occasional limit, but 99% of everything I want a truck to do both of these trucks have done. And yes, my wife dislikes it. To big, makes her uncomfortable to drive it. I find it more than a little ironic though that everytime her family wants to take the kayals out, or haul something she is right there with it. Apparently it's only hard to drive if family isn't there?

6. Top Of Page | #54

User Info Menu

My current truck is 07 Tundra LTD and I owned it for the last 10 years. It was great for what I wanted a truck for and gave me zero issues over the years. My wife and I have traveled in it all though Alaska, Western Canada and down South. I actually purchased it in Mississippi and drove it back to Alberta where I live. Both of us loves camping and backcountry and we never stay on campgrounds, I've taken it on quad trails to get to those perfect camping spots that only few people have ever camped at before, and we slept in truck's box under canopy.

But we started talking about family and it wouldn't cut it for us to camp in a box with a baby. We didn't want a travel trailer as that would have greatly limited our camping spot choices, so we started looking at truck campers and it was then when i found out I couldn't carry **** all in my Toyota, it just wasn't heavy enough - a mere 1350 lbs of payload (partially thanks to it's TRD off-road suspension). What a joke!

I started looking at and learning about diesels. As I was driving HD trucks for work (working in oilfield services), I've driven everything from the big 3 over the years (never a diesel though), so I knew I hated the damn Fords and they make the ugliest trucks too, I knew Chevs/GMs and they were OK trucks but I loved my RAM 2500 work truck so I was already leaning towards RAMs. Then I read and learned a great deal about diesels and Cummins came as a clear winner. So I was already set on Diesel RAM but I wasn't ready to pull the plug yet.

We decided to get a small (18') travel trailer and keep the current truck and see how we like it. We knew we would have to sacrifice and forget some of our favorite camping sports and I knew I'd have to do most of the driving with the trailer and it will be 100% on me to back it in as wife couldn't do it. That was when I started hating my truck, I would literally go from one fuel station to the other one as it has a mediocre fuel tank. My truck could pull up to 10300 lbs and out trailer was only about 4000 lbs loaded but man, it was bad on fuel. So now we not only couldn't get to our fav camping sites, we couldn't travel anywhere away from the beaten path unless I packed a half a dozen of jerrycans with fuel. Going on another trip to Alaska was out of the question!

That when I said **** it and went and placed a factory order on a new '19 RAM 3500 LTD. Wife was OK with that as long as "we still have money for food" LOL, that's all she was worrying about that I didn't blow all the money on a truck.
    Truck will be ready end of this month but I'm so stuck at work and away from home that I'm not gonna see it until Feb next year.

7. Top Of Page | #55

User Info Menu

To add to the above post, our trailer will be up for sale this coming spring and we would be getting a truck camper that we wanted from a very start.

8. Top Of Page | #56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shurup View Post
    My current truck is 07 Tundra LTD and I owned it for the last 10 years. It was great for what I wanted a truck for and gave me zero issues over the years. My wife and I have traveled in it all though Alaska, Western Canada and down South. I actually purchased it in Mississippi and drove it back to Alberta where I live. Both of us loves camping and backcountry and we never stay on campgrounds, I've taken it on quad trails to get to those perfect camping spots that only few people have ever camped at before, and we slept in truck's box under canopy.

But we started talking about family and it wouldn't cut it for us to camp in a box with a baby. We didn't want a travel trailer as that would have greatly limited our camping spot choices, so we started looking at truck campers and it was then when i found out I couldn't carry **** all in my Toyota, it just wasn't heavy enough - a mere 1350 lbs of payload (partially thanks to it's TRD off-road suspension). What a joke!

I started looking at and learning about diesels. As I was driving HD trucks for work (working in oilfield services), I've driven everything from the big 3 over the years (never a diesel though), so I knew I hated the damn Fords and they make the ugliest trucks too, I knew Chevs/GMs and they were OK trucks but I loved my RAM 2500 work truck so I was already leaning towards RAMs. Then I read and learned a great deal about diesels and Cummins came as a clear winner. So I was already set on Diesel RAM but I wasn't ready to pull the plug yet.

We decided to get a small (18') travel trailer and keep the current truck and see how we like it. We knew we would have to sacrifice and forget some of our favorite camping sports and I knew I'd have to do most of the driving with the trailer and it will be 100% on me to back it in as wife couldn't do it. That was when I started hating my truck, I would literally go from one fuel station to the other one as it has a mediocre fuel tank. My truck could pull up to 10300 lbs and out trailer was only about 4000 lbs loaded but man, it was bad on fuel. So now we not only couldn't get to our fav camping sites, we couldn't travel anywhere away from the beaten path unless I packed a half a dozen of jerrycans with fuel. Going on another trip to Alaska was out of the question!

That when I said **** it and went and placed a factory order on a new '19 RAM 3500 LTD. Wife was OK with that as long as "we still have money for food" LOL, that's all she was worrying about that I didn't blow all the money on a truck.
    Truck will be ready end of this month but I'm so stuck at work and away from home that I'm not gonna see it until Feb next year.
    Awesome story and congratulations on your new Ram !!!!
    Even though you have to wait a few months.

"Cumminsbadgirl"

2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

9. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn, Polaraco liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #57

User Info Menu

There's some pretty cool stuff here!

Keep 'em coming.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #58

User Info Menu

There's got to be more good stories.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Top Of Page | #59

User Info Menu

Not much of a story but here goes. I had always wanted a Cummins diesel but hadn't taken the financial plunge. In early 2013 I heard the new trucks coming soon would have def injection. I said no way was I gonna mess with that stuff, so the search began for a 2012. At the time we were driving a 2010 1500 hemi in Austin Tan Pearl paint. The wife said the new one had to be Saddle Brown Pearl. I located one in PA mid March, so made the trip down from central NY and drove the new one home the same day for $42,000. Two months later, we hooked up the travel trailer and traveled some hilly roads (206 from Whitney Point to Bainbridge). I was unimpressed with the supposed beast under the hood. In went the tuner, out came the junk. It's been a beast ever since. Of course then the whole def thing didn't matter. LOL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

13. Top Of Page | #60

User Info Menu

I started into Cummins diesels with the only new vehicle I've ever bought in 1993 with the first Ol Blue Dodge Ram Cummins W250 with the Getrag 5 speed. It's biggest Dyno with the VE pump was 437HP. It served us great until the family and 5th wheel got bigger.
    Enter (3) 24V 2nd gens. All manual transmissions. The only automatic transmission I've used was when building the race trucks. The three were all members of the Ol Blue club blue and silver (that's what the license plate told me anyway).
    Then, December 1, 2018 I had a dual lung transplant. Other than the puff of a cigarette that Dad made me take at the age of 8, I never smoked. The hospital care allowed me to bleed internally. It went on for 3 days. The blood pooled and compressed the nerves to my lower left leg. It was paralyzed. Since then I have worked the leg and endured a lot of pain. I wanted to drive Ol Blue again. The leg is getting stronger and I can drive the tractor with confidence, however; I am not comfortable driving a manual on the street. With a very heavy heart, I said goodbye to my dream rig that I bought as a total from an insurance auction and built.
    Now to the current pickup. After reading and reading, I decided that the last year Ram Cummins without DEF was going to be it. No blue and silver pickups could be found, but a dealer 90 miles away had a molten red Longhorn that had the 68RFE that is now parked at my place. It has had an MM3 for over a month that I haven't been able to use while waiting on the Weight Watcher's program to be done. I've ALWAYS done my own work, so it is frustrating to not do this myself and even more so waiting on someone else.
    The Weight Watcher's start and finish date is tomorrow! Yee Haa!

2012 Laramie Longhorn 3500 shortbox 4x4, molten red, tonneau cover, Reese Under bed hitch rails, Leveled, Firestone Ride Rite bags, Ultimate Transmission valve body and deep pan, DRD Tunes on MM3, BBI 0.75s, ARP625s, Monster Ram with heater relocate, high flow boost tubes, HTT 63.5/64 VGT, AFE intake with cold air, SSI steering box brace, SSI adjustable track bar, Moog drag link and tie rod, Brake Performance dimpled and slotted rotors and pads. It's not broke yet so I need more parts.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast