Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Turbo Issues - 2016 RAM 2500

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Possible Turbo Issues - 2016 RAM 2500

2016 2500 full delete 66500 miles 90hp tune daily driving and 30hp towing from DRD.

Last Tuesday had cel come on while sitting in traffic.

Code was P226C.

Soon after, I felt the truck hesitant around 10-12 psi boost getting up to speed.

I got home did a little research about actuators sticking and to try to exercise the exhaust brake more often (I normally use when towing), so I took the truck around the block and let the exhaust brake do its thing a few times, and the truck ran fine afterward.

Didn’t have any issues after that evening and no more codes.

Until Last night on the way to work, I felt like the truck was hesitant again, but while on the interstate with the cruise set at 75, I came home this morning and can’t say I felt anything different from normal driving.

Basically, I’m trying to figure out if it could’ve been a one-time thing or if the turbo on its way out and just a matter of time before it's time for a new one.

2016 2500 Big Horn Maximum Steel, fully deleted, mm3 by DRD, banks monster ram, s&b cold air intake, 4” MBRP, DRT Trans billet valve body, BD power trans pan, ats thermal bypass valve, shibby plugs, RC leveling kit, airlift 5000# air bags, 295/65-20 Nitto trail grapplers.

2. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kajunbullet11 View Post
    2016 2500 full delete 66500 miles 90hp tune daily driving and 30hp towing from DRD.

Last Tuesday had cel come on while sitting in traffic.

Code was P226C.

Soon after, I felt the truck hesitant around 10-12 psi boost getting up to speed.

I got home did a little research about actuators sticking and to try to exercise the exhaust brake more often (I normally use when towing), so I took the truck around the block and let the exhaust brake do its thing a few times, and the truck ran fine afterward.

Didn’t have any issues after that evening and no more codes.

Until Last night on the way to work, I felt like the truck was hesitant again, but while on the interstate with the cruise set at 75, I came home this morning and can’t say I felt anything different from normal driving.

Basically, I’m trying to figure out if it could’ve been a one-time thing or if the turbo on its way out and just a matter of time before it's time for a new one.
    If your able to catch this early which is sounds like you have, I think you can save yourself some money by operating the turbo close to 100%.

100% meaning as go out and drive it hard to keep those veins moving. if you do not operate it at least 80-90% every so often then you will have issues when you need it to operate that high.

Every so often it's not a bad idea to drive it hard and to keep it on the highway at a steady speed for a period of time.

I do this about 1 a week or so and no issues at all.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Normally I don’t cut it no slack, I run it hard on the regular but I haven’t since I first got the code, kinda was worried if running it hard would kill it more.

I did have a different code come up today it was p0652 and service throttle control, could these be related?

No throttle valve and plug has a shibby in it.

2016 2500 Big Horn Maximum Steel, fully deleted, mm3 by DRD, banks monster ram, s&b cold air intake, 4” MBRP, DRT Trans billet valve body, BD power trans pan, ats thermal bypass valve, shibby plugs, RC leveling kit, airlift 5000# air bags, 295/65-20 Nitto trail grapplers.

6. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    keep me posted on the p226c code. My truck has 13k miles on it and cel came on regarding slow turbo response. The actuator in the factory turbos I was told are only to be done by the manufacturer.

I run my trucks eb 100% of the time.

Truck conveniently just got a full def DPF egr throttle valve so im sure I will have no hope at a dealers warranty! might be time for a 2nd gen turbo swap.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Run the exhaust brake on full 100% of the time for awhile and continue run the truck hard like you're doing.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks watersupply189, BlackBart thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Run the exhaust brake on full 100% of the time for awhile and continue run the truck hard like you're doing.
    Mine never gits turned off.

12. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommybum45 View Post
    keep me posted on the p226c code. My truck has 13k miles on it and cel came on regarding slow turbo response. The actuator in the factory turbos I was told are only to be done by the
    manufacturer. I run my trucks eb 100% of the time. Truck conveniently just got a full def DPF egr throttle valve so im sure I will have no hope at a dealers warranty! might be time for a 2nd gen
    turbo swap.
    Been running exhaust brake brake full time and driving my normal driving and haven’t had a hiccup since last Monday.

14. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kajunbullet11 View Post
    Normally I don’t cut it no slack, I run it hard on the regular but I haven’t since I first got the code, kinda was worried if running it hard would kill it more.
    I did have a different code come up today it was p0652 and service throttle control, could these be related? No throttle valve and plug has a shibby in it.

Any new updates on this? Mine is doing the same thing with the same codes. 2017, mm3 full delete. For the last month or so I've noticed at a steady cruising speed like 35 mph, a weird change in tone. Now its doing it all the time and throwing codes p266c and p0652. Exhaust brake working intermittently. Sometimes full, sometimes it kind of sputters. Looking at the actuator % on the mm3 display, there are times it seems like its kinda of working normal and times it goes all the way open, or kind of jumps all over the place.
    Also, right before this started happening, the truck wasn't started for about a week to 10 days. When I started it up, it was a little tougher to start probably from siting and the batteries losing voltage, but it did start up. Im wondering if something possibly needs to be reset with the electronics? Is that possible? Or maybe I just need to check the actuator and turbo like others. Obviously it would be nice if I could just do the actuator. This is the only post I've found getting the same codes as me.

Any help would be appreciated

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Also forgot to mention 111,000 miles. 11,000 since deleted

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Davidkgt View Post
    Any new updates on this? Mine is doing the same thing with the same codes. 2017, mm3 full delete. For the last month or so I've noticed at a steady cruising speed like 35 mph, a weird change in tone. Now its doing it all the time and throwing codes p266c and p0652. Exhaust brake working intermittently. Sometimes full, sometimes it kind of sputters. Looking at the actuator % on the mm3 display, there are times it seems like its kinda of working normal and times it goes all the way open, or kind of jumps all over the place.
    Also, right before this started happening, the truck wasn't started for about a week to 10 days. When I started it up, it was a little tougher to start probably from siting and the batteries losing voltage, but it did start up. Im wondering if something possibly needs to be reset with the electronics? Is that possible? Or maybe I just need to check the actuator and turbo like others. Obviously it would be nice if I could just do the actuator. This is the only post I've found getting the same codes as me.

Any help would be appreciated
    More than likely it is the actuator failing. Your symptoms are the same as mine and I just swapped my turbo with 85k - when I returned the core it was confirmed my actuator was bad.

I would check your plugs/wiring going to turbo to make sure they aren’t loose or chaffed. If all looks well then there are 4 popular options listed in no specific order. Prices are ball park #s

1. replace actuator with city diesel model ($900)
    2. Drop in VGT cheetah or similar ($3,000)
    3. 3rd gen swap fixed blade ($1,800)
    4. 2nd gen swap fixed blade ($3,000) or more depending on options

Depending on power goals and driving habits you can choose accordingly

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast