I figured my safest best at LED upgrades would be my personal made in America favorite, diode dynamics. I waited a month for the Labor Day sale to grab some SL1 headlights, back up lights, and plate lights. Installed them all at once, then hopped in to run errands.... holy cow let the chaos begin! None of the lights were even on, driving down a 3 lane state road at 70mph when I noticed the radio volume was wayyy lower than usual, even when turned all the way up. Wifey pressed the apps button on the radio to check audio settings, and without warning the radio started BLARING a non-changing tone, almost sounded like a weather alert tone. I about drove off the road it jumped us so badly, and it was a full 10 seconds of chaos before I realized it was controllable with the volume knob. I could barely still hear music behind the continuous tone. I pulled over and tried to restart the truck, no change. So we took it home, and I tried all 3 led upgrades individually, cycled the ignition each time, and they all caused the tone.

Strangest thing I’ve ever heard. I expected an issue with the back up lights due to the lower resistance, but the headlights? I mean... the plate lights!? I started to do a little research, and learned about the CBC, the extremely picky can bus, etc. I packed up all the lights and sent everything back. What a massive bummer. If DD sells those lights, then some people must not have issues but wow did I have everything it that. I’ve looked into HID a little bit but this experience was a pretty big turn off from lighting upgrades. I searched all over the internet and couldn’t find anything about the radio going haywire, so I figured I’d share my experience.