Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Studs..... seriously

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Aluminum Studs..... seriously

Is this a joke from Chrysler?
    Aluminum wheel studs? Probably the top three when it comes to an important bolt! The only reason I found out was due to the tire shop “noticed” it was snapped off while rotating my tires. Truly I feel they snapped it but I can’t prove it nor am I 100% sure.
    Point is if it did snap from over torque then I have to believe all the studs were over torqued. Are they all ready to snap off? It makes zero sense to me. Weight saved? Please that’s retarded! I asked three separate Ram dealers. Not one had the answer. They cost just under $11 a piece. I asked the dealer and my tire shop to find me the replacement studs. Make them as strong as possible. Last thing I need to worry about while deep in the Colorado mountains is my wheels falling off due to snapped lug nutts. Chrysler WTF were you thinking?

2. Thanks watersupply189, AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Aluminum Studs..... seriously

Yeah they are trash. Local dealership didn't properly mount one of my wheels on my 4th gen, sheared all 8 studs off at the hub like they were butter.

An HD truck should have Grade 8 or better. I don't know if ARP has any studs that will work for these trucks

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Mine are steel

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Mine are steel also

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Just verified mine with a magnet. Aluminum wheels, steel studs and nuts.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Just verified mine with a magnet. Aluminum wheels, steel studs and nuts.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They're still way under rated for the truck. Aluminum did seem questionable, but overall, still not as strong as they probably could be

11. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

My uncle has a 2012 2500 and he had a hell of a time with guys at the tire shops over torquing the lug nuts to the point they damaged his wheels. When I got mine (used with 118k) about 1/2 of the lug nuts had been cross threaded in the past (careless tire shops with impact guns). I cleaned up the stud threads, purchased a set of new take off lug nuts from eBay, start them by hand, and torque with a torque wrench to about 120# and haven’t had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

The studs are NOT aluminum!

The problem is people have no clue what a torque wrench is.

Tire shops are horrible with their big air guns.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    The studs are NOT aluminum!

The problem is people have no clue what a torque wrench is.

Tire shops are horrible with their big air guns.
    Agree. Some are horrible when using airguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I have a hard time believing that any wheel studs would be Aluminum. You can't even find aluminum bolts, let alone wheel studs. Mine are steel I have seen the rust on them. Air guns can create huge amounts of torque and I never use a air gun or electric impact gun to install lug nuts. I own several torque wrenches and use them often, especially on my lug nuts. When I replace tires I load the wheels and tire into another truck and take them loose to the tire shop. One more reason to not go to the tire shop or dealer.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast