Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tune for Delete

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tune for Delete

So I've decided to delete the EGR and DPF/DEF and have all the parts ordered. After watching the install online, it's super easy EXCEPT I don't have a good grasp on the tune/programmer. I can install the parts but here are my possible routes for tune/program, but questions for each...

1. Buy a program/tune and do it myself. I'm doing this for truck longevity and not racing, so as far as I'm concerned I only need to do the programming once.
    --- Which programmer and tune can I look into that's cost effective just for the sake of removing EGR and DPF?
    2. Rent a programmer, tune it and send it back
    --- Same as above, which programmer?
    3. Take it to a local shop that's willing to install all the parts and have them program it.
    --- Can I install all the parts and then drive to and have the shop tune it? Or does it all need to be done at once?

Thanks in advance for the help, really looking forward to learning from everyone!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tune for Delete

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    So I've decided to delete the EGR and DPF/DEF and have all the parts ordered. After watching the install online, it's super easy EXCEPT I don't have a good grasp on the tune/programmer. I can install the parts but here are my possible routes for tune/program, but questions for each...

1. Buy a program/tune and do it myself. I'm doing this for truck longevity and not racing, so as far as I'm concerned I only need to do the programming once.
    --- Which programmer and tune can I look into that's cost effective just for the sake of removing EGR and DPF?
    2. Rent a programmer, tune it and send it back
    --- Same as above, which programmer?
    3. Take it to a local shop that's willing to install all the parts and have them program it.
    --- Can I install all the parts and then drive to and have the shop tune it? Or does it all need to be done at once?

Thanks in advance for the help, really looking forward to learning from everyone!

Tell us more about your truck. You can rule out renting a programmer as I’ve never heard of that and 99% of shops won’t or don’t have the know how to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Tell us more about your truck. You can rule out renting a programmer as I’ve never heard of that and 99% of shops won’t or don’t have the know how to do it.

Sorry about that, completely forgot! I have several places that will loan me(with core charge) a programmer but I'd still need to do the tune. I have a 2014 Ram 2500. I bought an EGR Delete Kit(https://www.ppei.com/shop/2009-2018-...r-upgrade-kit/) and a Turbo Back Exhaust System(https://www.ppei.com/shop/2013-2018-...uffler-no-tip/).

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sorry about that, completely forgot! I have several places that will loan me(with core charge) a programmer but I'd still need to do the tune. I have a 2014 Ram 2500. I bought an EGR Delete Kit(https://www.ppei.com/shop/2009-2018-...r-upgrade-kit/) and a Turbo Back Exhaust System(https://www.ppei.com/shop/2013-2018-...uffler-no-tip/).

First for me, what are they wanting to charge you to rent the programmer minus the core and what platform is it?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

It's a number of different ones and fully refundable. Heck, I can even go to Amazon and get one, tune it and send it back... the only one I felt comfortable buying was the RaceMe tuner because it seems pretty straightforward.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

And to answer your platform question, I don't know. I can do mechanical and physical labor but when it gets into the realm of programming, I'm newer to that hence option 3 coming into fruition

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It's a number of different ones and fully refundable. Heck, I can even go to Amazon and get one, tune it and send it back... the only one I felt comfortable buying was the RaceMe tuner because it seems pretty straightforward.

Sounds dishonest and anyone will know you tuned the truck because the tuner become vin locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks Hoseman thanked for this post
    Likes Thomas1960, walla2k5, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Sounds dishonest and anyone will know you tuned the truck because the tuner become vin locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes sense. So then my options are 1 and 3. Thoughts?

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I'm really not opposed to buying my own and doing it that way, but if it's easier and CONSIDERABLY cost efficient then I could bring it to the shop

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Welcome, I would recommend option #1. Install the parts and tunes yourself. Keep the tuner to monitor and record parameters, change power levels and clear any DTC’s you may encounter. You will also be able to reinstall or update your tune or return to stock tune if necessary in the future.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks Dr.Strange thanked for this post
    Likes Thomas1960, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast