Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diesel Brand Matters

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Diesel Brand Matters

I just fueled up today and put 30.1 gallons and got 640 miles on this tank. Maybe its the humid environment down here and extremely flat or my gear ratio, I think its 3.43 in the rear.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myronbilliot View Post
    I just fueled up today and put 30.1 gallons and got 640 miles on this tank. Maybe its the humid environment down here and extremely flat or my gear ratio, I think its 3.43 in the rear.
    If you got a diesel that’s what it is.

Funny, I got nervous when I saw that ratio before takin ownership of mine. Thought it was too tall, but 4.10 woulda left me with a top speed of about 50.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
    If you got a diesel that’s what it is.

Funny, I got nervous when I saw that ratio before takin ownership of mine. Thought it was too tall, but 4.10 woulda left me with a top speed of about 50.

I just looked at the specs on the build sheet and it has 3.73 gear with 20" tires.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I am fuel truck driver that moved into management and their is some education that needs to passed along. ALL diesel that comes from a truck loading terminal is exactly the same and comes out of the same tank. Unlike gasolines diesel fuel does not have different additives like Shell or Chevron even if the label states its branded product. It is all the same in your area. States like Oregon have biodiesel mandates but it would be labelled as such. Even gasoline comes from the same tank but gets different additives blended in during the loading process. The only real difference the station can control is water in the tank or cleanliness of what you are pumping.

Now with that being said there are a few exceptions. Some areas have what we in the business call Crackerjack plants. These are plants that re-refine mixed petroleum products back into their gas and diesel components and they do it very poorly. Most of these places have their own stations and their diesel products rarely meet ultra low sulfur standards so they are sold for other uses. Another exception depending on regional laws a seller only has to label bio diesel if it has more than 5% bio diesel in it. Here in Nevada at a time where bio diesel was much cheaper we would blend 4% bio diesel and deliver into regular diesel tanks as law allowed it. It has not been done in my area for many years now.

my best advice is to become friends with a fuel tanker driver in your area. They can tell you what is really going on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12