Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: A/C

1. Top Of Page | #1

A/C

2012 ram 2500 a/c blows cold when truck is driving but when idling a/c doesn’t blow cold. Compressor kicks on but then kicks back off. Anyone ever experienced this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: A/C

The air will always be colder while moving because when you're stopped you have no airflow through the condenser. Also, the compressor does cycle on and off as part of normal operation.

However, if the compressor is cycling excessively/rapidly; then you need to check for refrigerant leaks & recharge the system.

4. Thanks Keron2233 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    The air will always be colder while moving because when you're stopped you have no airflow through the condenser. Also, the compressor does cycle on and off as part of normal operation.

However, if the compressor is cycling excessively/rapidly; then you need to check for refrigerant leaks & recharge the system.
    I agree with this- I had similar symptoms on my 06 and it was the ac clutch. I added an aux fan on the front powered by ac clutch and it helped ALOT but was somewhat a temporary fix/improvement once repaired.

has your truck just started doing?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks Keron2233 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, RamIt, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It sounds like the fan clutch to me as well. I swapped mine out a few weeks ago and it made a huge difference. See below for part number and additional info.

OK guys, riddle me this. As I mentioned yesterday I completely rebuilt my AC system last year from front to back and got the AC working SO much better (this is a 2012). Last night I got the family loaded up in the truck to go out to dinner and while we were trying to figure out where we were going to eat (rule is truck doesn't leave the driveway until we figure out where we are going to eat) I noted that the vents were only pushing cool-ish air. Once we got to moving she cooled right down. I think I recall hearing someone mention in a thread that the fan clutch is supposed to lock up when the AC is turned on. Is that accurate? If so, that may be why I'm not getting cool enough air out of the vents when parked due to reduced airflow past the condenser. I don't hear it making any kind of a different fan noise when AC is turned on but compressor seems to be cycling on and off more frequently than it should. Whenever I've been towing in the mountains and the fan engages it's definitely obvious that she's on. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

UPDATE:
    I did some additional digging online and discovered this to be a known issue (fan clutch not locking and engine fan freewheeling when idling and AC on). AC compressor is kicking on and off frequently at idle due to high pressure, which is due to inadequate airflow across condenser. Chrysler apparently tried out a few different fan clutches back a few years ago to address the issue. Based on what I know it looks like part number 68155609AB should be the way to go. Old style clutch as same part number, but ending in "aa". Genos had the best price ($360) for the original Mopar part that I could find. Will let you all know if this does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit