Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you use a leveling kit on an already lifted Ram 3500?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Can you use a leveling kit on an already lifted Ram 3500?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Scott View Post
    I just want to achieve a level ride height when not loaded. I can and will run bags if the need is there. Easiest way to explain it is that it seems that what ever lift kit was used to lift this truck, the springs have possibly been beaten on a bit to much and the nose end is now 2" lower than it would be if the ride height set the truck almost level. I say almost because it still will sit higher, but would not have the nose dive it currently has.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Excuse me.... The rear end will still sit higher even if I add a 2"leveling kit up front.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Scott View Post
    I just want to achieve a level ride height when not loaded. I can and will run bags if the need is there. Easiest way to explain it is that it seems that what ever lift kit was used to lift this truck, the springs have possibly been beaten on a bit to much and the nose end is now 2" lower than it would be if the ride height set the truck almost level. I say almost because it still will sit higher, but would not have the nose dive it currently has.

I'm going to beg to differ with you here. Most lift kits are designed to maintain factory rake for payload reasons. The rear end of the truck is designed to sit higher than the front, so that when loaded, the front end isn't pulled way up in the air (removing weight from the front wheels, which is dangerous in and of itself).

To accomplish what you are trying to do, your absolute best bet would be a set of Ride-Rite bags. That way you bring the rear end down to a clean leveled look when unloaded, but still maintain your payload capacity and proper suspension geometry when loaded.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    I'm going to beg to differ with you here. Most lift kits are designed to maintain factory rake for payload reasons. The rear end of the truck is designed to sit higher than the front, so that when loaded, the front end isn't pulled way up in the air (removing weight from the front wheels, which is dangerous in and of itself).

To accomplish what you are trying to do, your absolute best bet would be a set of Ride-Rite bags. That way you bring the rear end down to a clean leveled look when unloaded, but still maintain your payload capacity and proper suspension geometry when loaded.
    Ok I believe I’m confused now. LOL which ain’t hard to do.
    How can adding a set of air bags to a rear leaf spring truck lower it? Raise yes but can air bags lower it farther from factory rake like he is wanting on a leaf spring truck?
    I would think if adding a little taller front springs would get it to the level he @Kenneth Scott is trying to achieve? Maybe I’m totally off on this?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Likes david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Ok I believe I’m confused now. LOL which ain’t hard to do.
    How can adding a set of air bags to a rear leaf spring truck lower it? Raise yes but can air bags lower it farther from factory rake like he is wanting on a leaf spring truck?
    I would think if adding a little taller front springs would get it to the level he @Kenneth Scott is trying to achieve? Maybe I’m totally off on this?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    Would probably need to adjust shackles or remove a leaf, which I suppose I should have prefaced my point with that. Sorry, I'm at work and bouncing between about 15 other tabs LOL.
    Or as mentioned, raise the front and then use the bags to correct the sag.

My point was that it's not possible to stay level on a static setup both loaded & unloaded. Which is where the bags come in.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Would probably need to adjust shackles or remove a leaf, which I suppose I should have prefaced my point with that. Sorry, I'm at work and bouncing between about 15 other tabs LOL.
    Or as mentioned, raise the front and then use the bags to correct the sag.

My point was that it's not possible to stay level on a static setup both loaded & unloaded. Which is where the bags come in.
    Gotcha!

Thanks for clarifying that. I know what ya mean by bouncing doing 15 things at the same time. LOL

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

10. Likes RamIt liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

So with your big lift, the rear is likely a big lift block and maybe a add-a leaf and then shocks.

Personally I would do this.

Crawl under and wipe down the coils and the control arms, look for a part number or a brand maker stamp. Should find out really what you have. The front coils will sag overtime. New front coils could bring the nose up just a bit for your taste. So if your rear has a big lift block above the leaf springs. Measure the size of it. I don’t know what early stock 4
    thgens came with form factory. Count the number of springs in the leaf pack.

Do some research on what yours came with from factory. post some closer pics of the control arm drop bracket that goes to the frame on the lower arm.

Also a picture of the drop bracket that is on for your trac-bar. Im assuming it has a drop bracket style.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12