Update

You can get bed rails that are universal for many hitches. Reese has a frame specific kit that bolts in easy and etrailer has an install video. It was cheapest on Amazon for about $380. Curt makes one, but for mine it was u bolts around the frame and slide and bolt them in place which is a measurement nightmare vs bolting in place and marking from the bottom of the bed w a punch through the plates facing the bottom of the bed after you bolt them in. Watch some etrailer vids. There is some play so it's not super precise.

You can also get a puck system for Reese elite or signature series hitches. I'm not sure how uiversal it is, but you can buy frames that latch into the puck system that can add other attachmemts. Other brands have puck sytems as well. There is a ram specific reese one to make it easy to bolt in place for $450. If you do pucks just unbolt the 4 bolts holding the bed down in the passenger side, loosen the 4 on the drivers side and with a 2x4 easily lift up the bed on the passenger side with leverage from the tire. It was easy and light, slide in a wood block and slide the bed rails in from the side. Some vids showed removing the exhuast and spare tire and heat shield. Lifting the bed didn't require that and is only 4 bolts.

I ended up using my friend's Chevy puck system kit that he was getting rid of bc he got a ford and it bolted to the frame with no issues. It required drilling 4 holes and getting four grade 8 bolts that are 5.5" long and 5/8" wide, and washers/nuts. He gave me his hitch so it all worked out in the end.

Original question:

I have an 8ft bed

I have seen stock options in truck beds that have a removable dusk cap and then a 5th wheel hitch bolts down. I'm going to buy my friends trailer and need a hitch. Are the holes for a 5th wheel a universal size (width apart) where any hitch can attach?

My friend has a Reese elite, but I think I would need the ram under bed bracket at $450 vs using his Chevy brackets. I like the idea of under bed mounts so if I need the bed I can remove the unit by unlatching the four corners and putting the dust caps back on.

Will a stock oem under bed kit be universal? If I add the Reese under bed kit are my holes only good for a Reese hitch?

It seems like companion makes a model for all the oem mounts.

I don't think there is a benefit for a slider for my 8ft bed, but let me know otherwise. I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos and read, but I still have noob questions.

Is there a post about everything for hitches?

THANKS

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk