Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Front Wheel Bearing Assembly Fun

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Front Wheel Bearing Assembly Fun

Had me a fun close to the Labor Day weekend. Driving home from camping and was about five miles from home with the trailer behind. I start to hear an intermittent grinding sound coming from the front end. Truck is still moving ok, but I get off the interstate to check the front end. Seems ok, so I proceed with caution on back roads. Turn into the housing development and I hear "CRASH...GRIND....SNAP!!!" from the left front. Pull up in front of the house with an off center steering wheel, a glowing caliper bracket, a very kaddywampous front wheel and a brake pedal that went to the floor. I'm thinking "Well crap! This should be fun. Least I made it home though"

Got to pulling it apart Tuesday and the front left bearing grenaded. There was nothing left but a couple of needles that had fallen out. My brake rotor took out the brake pads, caliper bracket (caliper pistons were saved by the brake bad backing plate), and took its own life in the process. The axle u joint did hit the hub housing a little, but there was minimal damage...just some light marring. I'll probably replace the u-joint here soon for good measure. I'm also going to be replacing the right side to save it from any exploding bearing carnage.

151k on the truck. Anyone else experience an exploding hub bearing before? I didn't notice any warning that the bearing was about to fail...it just let go.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Front Wheel Bearing Assembly Fun

Quote Originally Posted by OneTon View Post
    Had me a fun close to the Labor Day weekend. Driving home from camping and was about five miles from home with the trailer behind. I start to hear an intermittent grinding sound coming from the front end. Truck is still moving ok, but I get off the interstate to check the front end. Seems ok, so I proceed with caution on back roads. Turn into the housing development and I hear "CRASH...GRIND....SNAP!!!" from the left front. Pull up in front of the house with an off center steering wheel, a glowing caliper bracket, a very kaddywampous front wheel and a brake pedal that went to the floor. I'm thinking "Well crap! This should be fun. Least I made it home though"

Got to pulling it apart Tuesday and the front left bearing grenaded. There was nothing left but a couple of needles that had fallen out. My brake rotor took out the brake pads, caliper bracket (caliper pistons were saved by the brake bad backing plate), and took its own life in the process. The axle u joint did hit the hub housing a little, but there was minimal damage...just some light marring. I'll probably replace the u-joint here soon for good measure. I'm also going to be replacing the right side to save it from any exploding bearing carnage.

151k on the truck. Anyone else experience an exploding hub bearing before? I didn't notice any warning that the bearing was about to fail...it just let go.
    Ouch! Good thing that didn’t happen on the interstate. Glad you made it home safely.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I don't have hub issues any more...IMG_20190907_185935.jpg

08 r2500 quad cab 4x4 - Ugly Betty
    Deleted, AFE , 5" strait pipe , DRD Tuned
    68RFE, bonded, pressure kit , Drum, Chanel plate, ultra tight tripple
    Carli 2.5" King Shocks, Full Deaver rear
    F/R 4340 shafts, locked up, Freespin, 4.10's
    17" Icon Rebound Pros w/ 37" Baja Pro's
    IronCross bumpers F/R, 12k winch, BedSlide, Canopy , etc.

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, CAPTAJR liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Wow they usually give a lot more warning than that before they just totally fall apart! That's dangerous.... I like to always give anything with unit bearings like these trucks the old wiggle test every time I change the oil and rotate the tires. Especially over 100k miles.

7. Likes watersupply189, Blokhd liked this post