Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Slip Rear End Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Anti-Slip Rear End Question

This morning after work I removed my stock rearend cover and replaced with a PML aluminum cover which incorporates a drain plug and a top fill plug.

After viewing the inner gearing within the differential I noticed something didn’t look right.
    According to my build sheet I thought possibly - I thought I had an anti-slip rear end.
    Which the gear set in this picture does not look like an anti-slip gear set.

My question is am I reading my build sheet correct?
    I thought I was buying a truck with an anti-slip rear end or is it according to my build sheet just an option that I did not receive.

Right now I feel pretty damn ignorant!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, Jaxonsram liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Maybe I found my answer!
    The picture looks very similar to my gear set.

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-15...11-5-posi.html

4. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

OK I feel much better about things right now.
    By the research I’ve done this morning - I honesty believe I do have the Limited Slip or anti-slip gear set in my Ram.

Took the JUDGE out for a 15 mile run on the interstate 65 to 85 mph.
    Come back & parked her in the garage - let her sit for 20 minutes & thankfully no leaks - thanks due to the (Lube Locker) gasket that was used.

I just want to point out that it took two cans of CRC brake cleaner to get the gear set looking like new again. It was covered in the same gray/black film as the inside of the OEM cover.
    Down below is a pic of the stock cover that was taken off with only 6920 miles.

Attached Images Attached Images

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, Jaxonsram liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I was gonna say you definitely have the anti-slip rear end.

You can see the internal gears through the hole in the ring gear casing.

8. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, Jaxonsram liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The AAM - tech that I chatted with assured me that I had their Limilted Slip gear set - after viewing my pic I sent him.

He did mention - to not get discouraged on the function of this unit while driving in snow or on ice!
    He stated the design of this unit is very good & extremely durable while within its ideal circumstances it performs extremely well - but today's Traction Control systems (Anti-Skid) & ABS units play havoc with the (Anti-Slip / Limited Slip) actual true function.

While towing I'll leave the ESC @ 100% - but during snowy/icy conditions I will make a point to some what disable the system by pushing in on the button for 8-10 seconds.
    I believe this only takes away 75% of the control from the system if you stay below a certain MPH (25 mph) - I believe. Once you go over that set speed the system becomes fully operational again.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    The AAM - tech that I chatted with assured me that I had their Limilted Slip gear set - after viewing my pic I sent him.

He did mention - to not get discouraged on the function of this unit while driving in snow or on ice!
    He stated the design of this unit is very good & extremely durable while within its ideal circumstances it performs extremely well - but today's Traction Control systems (Anti-Skid) & ABS units play havoc with the (Anti-Slip / Limited Slip) actual true function.

While towing I'll leave the ESC @ 100% - but during snowy/icy conditions I will make a point to some what disable the system by pushing in on the button for 8-10 seconds.
    I believe this only takes away 75% of the control from the system if you stay below a certain MPH (25 mph) - I believe. Once you go over that set speed the system becomes fully operational again.
    He's not wrong. Traction control systems that modulate braking between spinning wheels 1000% defeat the purpose of a LSD. I'm a big hater on the nannies in modern vehicles (high hp cars notwithstanding) because these nannies almost got my wife and I killed in my Tundra - 18 wheeler doing ~50 crossed the center line into the turn lane we were stopped in, slammed the truck in reverse and put the pedal to the floor...nannies kicked in and shut off all power delivery. Only reason we didn't get hit is because I swung the *** end of the truck into the driving lane next to us.

That said, in 99.9% of circumstances you'll never have an issue with ESC & TC. However, I would personally tune all that nonsense out of my truck and rely on the mechanical components that were installed to perform that specific function.

12. Thanks watersupply189, SyN, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, Jaxonsram liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Ok - I'm fully content with the end of this project!
    After sitting in the garage afterwards drinking a Cold Beer - looking at my final results!

I came to the conclusion that I truly wish I had 3:73s or 4:11s instead of the questionable 3:42s. (Just my personal preference)

Even though I doubt we will ever tow the RV (cross country) - & don’t have a true Need for re-gearing. It's just the performance side of me - (Thinking Outloud)!

My personal favorite for the JUDGE would be 4:11s with electronic lockers!
    I truly doubt honestly I will ever have $3K-4K laying around burning a hole in my pocket just for this project.
    Plus - Finding a highly reputable shop in my local area to do the swap would be virtually impossible!

It's always Kewl - To sit & admirer & say (What if)?

Note: When the new RV (5th Wheel) is purchased - Probably in the 12K-14K lb range.
    I will perform a rearend service again - Drain & refill with a combo of - (2qts 75W-90 & 2qts 75W-140).
    Just to possibly help with giving some extra wear protection while towing heavy.

One more thing & I'm done! (I do apologize)!
    I will give Mr Banks (Credit) - his testing created a good looking functional cover. But good lord like most of us expected they are way overpriced!

The PML is designed very similar to the stock pan - only a little bit deeper.
    Both the PML covers & pans have quite a remarkable (Positive) track record!

I know now - I made the right choice on Brand/Design & price!

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Are you guys using any type/brand of LSD Friction Modifier with your gear oil? I've read conflicting info on the topic. I once owned a Ford that would get super cranky without running Motorcraft friction modifier in the rear end.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The anti-slip gear set within the AAM 11.5" Anti-Slip differential does Not require the Additive!
    It's not a clutch type design.
    The AAM - is a trac-rite differential (helical gear)

Most gear oils today already have it added within the formulation.
    I was assured by the AAM tech I talked to said - Using a gear oil with the Additive already added will NOT cause any issues what so ever with their anti-slip design.
    Keeping the unit serviced @ the proper intervals was more important!
    He went so far as to recommend - (synthetic gear oil).

If anyone disagrees with any of the information above-- please step in & post your opinion/thoughts.

18. Thanks toyota_mdt_tech thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I was going to say that looks like a helical gear limited slip or positive traction rear end.... use good oil (synthetic if you can) and it will greatly extend the life of it. I think I'm about the only one running a locker in the rear and air locker in the front

04 3500 SRW 4x4. 4.5" icon stage 5 w/ full progressive rear leaf and 2.5 shocks, 20x9 procomp alloys, 37x13.50R20 Baja boss A/T, synergy steering, ARP headstuds, flopro 4” stainless, coolant bypass, oil bypass, smarty touch w/ custom tuning, fleece powerflo 750 CP3, fleece 2nd gen swap w/ AFE stainless manifold and s463, II 100hp injectors, AFE intercooler, pusher mega Intake with cross-air and mega tubes, fass titanium 165, Precision 48RE w/ billet upgrades and valve body, DPC 1800 stall billet triple disc, talon custom front/rear driveshafts, 4.11 gears. Fab fours black steel bumpers ~20 hwy ~17 city

20. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast